Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we continue the CD Book Club?
Yes, let's continue 15 83.33%
No, I can't commit to another group read 1 5.56%
Interested but unable to commit 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times

Advertisements

A huge thanks to gemthornton and RDSLOTS for their able leadership in steering the discussion of our first two books.

Now that the discussion is running down, but still open for ongoing dialogue, I'd like to see a show of hands of those who will like to go forward with a third book. If we have sufficient interest, I'll post another poll about book selections.

Many thanks to all.

PS - Here's the original start-up thread.

This is the ongoing discussion thread on Water for Elephants here.

And here is where you'll find the discussion on a Thousand Splendid Suns.

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-24-2008 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,137,749 times
Wink I would like to encourage others to be in the Book Club.

Ontheroad, I would like to encourage people to get involved with the Book Club format. So often we read a book, think about it a little, put it up on the shelf, and that's that!

When we actually participate in a discussion it opens up so many doors to the story that we may have not noticed on our own. I think it is a wonderful way to enjoy a book even after the final page has been read.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I voted for Interested But Unable To Commit.
I like participating, and very much appreciate our Fearless Leaders, but frankly don't think I should try to lead a discussion.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I voted for Interested But Unable To Commit.
I like participating, and very much appreciate our Fearless Leaders, but frankly don't think I should try to lead a discussion.
I agree. I like contributing, but don't feel I could lead the group.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
Default Nothing to it. . .

Leading a group. You just need a BIG mouth and feel free to open a discussion, largely in the form of a question.

I really would like to see us continue because it is fun to see what others bring to the discussion. No comment is ever trivial, or wrong, I have found, and often my view has been swayed by someone else's insight.

As a former English teacher, I never laughed so hard or wanted my former English teachers to hear the interview, as when Michener was on the TODAY Show to discuss his work, Hawaii. The interviewer wanted to discuss the 'symbolism' of the mountains, and Michener asked, "What symbolism? They're just mountains."

Old 02-23-2008, 03:42 PM

Wink If you are in a discussion group, you are filling a needed position as a leader or a commentor. Both necessary!!

If you noticed my byline, "Available for comment", I REALLY mean it. I am always ready and willing to offer my $.02!

It isn't always worth $.02, but I sure do enjoy the offering part. But, rdslots, I do stop short of declaring that I have a BIG mouth! I actually am very quiet and must yell to be heard. (Rdslots, I certainly wouldn't characterize you with a big mouth!! I enjoy your many comments. You are gregarious and friendly - how's that?)

That is what is so wonderful about participating on a forum like this. You don't have to yell to be heard. A whisper holds as much impact as a holler!
All of you who contributed comments on our first two reads were heard loud and clear and appreciated tremendously. Everyone had something interesting and valuable to say to the rest of us. Sometimes, it was a whisper to stir a little thought; other times a great shout, which often brought out the emotion and fervor that we didn't know was even there.

We all contribute whether by leading a discussion or by contributing to the discussion. Each is valuable in its own right.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:42 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
If you noticed my byline, "Available for comment", I REALLY mean it. I am always ready and willing to offer my $.02!

It isn't always worth $.02, but I sure do enjoy the offering part. But, rdslots, I do stop short of declaring that I have a BIG mouth! I actually am very quiet and must yell to be heard. (Rdslots, I certainly wouldn't characterize you with a big mouth!! I enjoy your many comments. You are gregarious and friendly - how's that?)

That is what is so wonderful about participating on a forum like this. You don't have to yell to be heard. A whisper holds as much impact as a holler!
All of you who contributed comments on our first two reads were heard loud and clear and appreciated tremendously. Everyone had something interesting and valuable to say to the rest of us. Sometimes, it was a whisper to stir a little thought; other times a great shout, which often brought out the emotion and fervor that we didn't know was even there.

We all contribute whether by leading a discussion or by contributing to the discussion. Each is valuable in its own right.
I like the idea, I like seeing the thread active whenever I stop by. However, since I can't contribute, I don't feel it's right to vote at all. Since I can't read pages without a great deal of effort, any books I'd contribute to a discussion of would be ones I'd either read before my vision went gunnysack, or ones I've heard audio versions of. With that in mind, I'm for it, I just abstain from voting, period.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
You are so well-read, it is a pity you don't see a role or a place in the Club. You've undoubtedly read books we all might want to read and discuss, and you can handily make recommendations for the next round.

I enjoy your contributions here on the Book Forum as I am sure others do--and would like to find a way to make it inclusive--and include you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I like the idea, I like seeing the thread active whenever I stop by. However, since I can't contribute, I don't feel it's right to vote at all. Since I can't read pages without a great deal of effort, any books I'd contribute to a discussion of would be ones I'd either read before my vision went gunnysack, or ones I've heard audio versions of. With that in mind, I'm for it, I just abstain from voting, period.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Wink Karibear reconsider; we would love to have you with us!

Karibear, I wasn't aware of your vision problem until just now. I have to agree with ontheroad concerning your participation.

Reading isn't just an activity one does with one's eyes. We all as readers of visual or audio books "see" the story unfold in our mind's eye, and each of us sees it in our own way.

It doesn't matter how you read your books - what is important is that you are forming character images, ideas about the theme, plot anticipation and enjoying the process.

You are a reader; we would like you to be a full-partner in the group. Please reconsider.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:09 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Karibear, I wasn't aware of your vision problem until just now. I have to agree with ontheroad concerning your participation.

Reading isn't just an activity one does with one's eyes. We all as readers of visual or audio books "see" the story unfold in our mind's eye, and each of us sees it in our own way.

It doesn't matter how you read your books - what is important is that you are forming character images, ideas about the theme, plot anticipation and enjoying the process.

You are a reader; we would like you to be a full-partner in the group. Please reconsider.
I will think about it, that's the most I can say right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books