Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times

Advertisements

As a voracious reader I have to limit my greedy habits or I would just fill the house, go bankrupt and possibly end up with a lot of unread books in the process.

I never use my local library any more as it seems in the UK that libraries are turning into a DVDs/CDs/Video Games library with a dwindling amount of books. I never find anything I actually want to read.

I never buy new books any more and either buy from Amazon ( nearly new) or second-hand book stores.

I can go through a week without buying anything, sometimes even 2 or 3 weeks and then I will order 5, 8 or on one occasion 13 books all at once.

I used to love browsing for books in book-stores but it became too dangerous and too addictive ! I spent almost 6 hours in a Borders once in Glasgow with a pile of books in one of their comfy chairs. I hadn't even noticed. It's pathetic I know.

I love looking though the kid's books section still but try to overt my eyes in the other sections !! My wallet is not deep enough for this kind of potential damage.

One of the ways I love indulging is buying books for other people. I get a bit of a fix whilst not cluttering my house. And of course the satisfaction that hopefully I have shared something precious and rare with loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:42 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
I go through phases. Sometimes I'll buy one at a time. Sometimes it seems like I can't stop buying them, though. Just tonight I ordered three off of amazon.com The problem is that I start reading them all at the same time... well... not at the SAME time but in the same frame of time

My wife is finally going to allow me to get a bookshelf so I can proudly display all the books I have been reading lately

Last edited by GCSTroop; 03-07-2008 at 03:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I go through phases. Sometimes I'll buy one at a time. Sometimes it seems like I can't stop buying them, though. Just tonight I ordered three off of amazon.com The problem is that I start reading them all at the same time... well... not at the SAME time but in the same frame of time

My wife is finally going to allow me to get a bookshelf so I can proudly display all the books I have been reading lately
I had to put most of my books in the attic and was told in no uncertain terms that I should limit my book buying as it was "getting out of hand" !?!?!? Now I am supposed to take out at least one book for every one I bring in. I finally understand what they mean by "my wife/husband does not understand me" !

I'm glad you are getting your own bookshelf but don't get too comfortable, loved ones have a nasty habit to try and restrict our reading addiction.

Mind you to be fair to OH, our house is tiny ! So maybe tripping over books was not ideal.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
When one household member collects books or anything for that matter, it must be a challenge to the other.

I have a good friend, many years my senior, who collected books, among other beautiful and often useful odds and ends. He had a fair sized apartment in NYC, but when he took his sabbatical leave at the Pasteur, he wanted to keep expenses down and rented a tiny one bedroom.

When I visited him (years ago now, '89) I had to literally step on and around all the books--piled on the sofa, the bed, on the table, all over the floor...just everywhere.

So, we drank wine surrounded by history, and chatted encircled by literature, and made our way to the WC with science.

He was among my closest friends. He finally retired to Sao Paulo, and I miss him enormously and his books.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
When one household member collects books or anything for that matter, it must be a challenge to the other.

I have a good friend, many years my senior, who collected books, among other beautiful and often useful odds and ends. He had a fair sized apartment in NYC, but when he took his sabbatical leave at the Pasteur, he wanted to keep expenses down and rented a tiny one bedroom.

When I visited him (years ago now, '89) I had to literally step on and around all the books--piled on the sofa, the bed, on the table, all over the floor...just everywhere.

So, we drank wine surrounded by history, and chatted encircled by literature, and made our way to the WC with science.

He was among my closest friends. He finally retired to Sao Paulo, and I miss him enormously and his books.

Lovely story. I would be like just that except I am a tidy freak . My idea of heaven is a proper home library with wall to wall bookshelves and one of those cute little ladders.
Something like Professor Higgins' library in my fair Lady would do nicely. Some nice leather armchairs, a couple of nice Tiffany lamps and some old Turkish rugs and I would be a happy woman !

Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

Sitting here, thinking of that song that goes, "Heaven. . . I'm in heaven." What a lovely description of your friend, his place, and his lifestyle.

Mooseketeer, I'd suggest some of the furniture go out of the house, before you part with books. I mean, you could pile them up, make tables and chairs of them, and meet your needs on several ends. Just think, you can even re-arrange the furniture, quite literally.

Numbers. On the road wants numbers.

Well, OK. Here we go. . . 1 to infinity.

Now that I'm finished being a smart-alec, I'll purchase anywhere between 2-5 monthly from Quality Paperback, on average. The number may be much higher at holiday time because I give books as presents, even to (and especially) children.

If I get to a bookstore, maybe 2 - 3 x month, I'll buy anywhere from 2-10 (more if I think husband won't raise an eyebrow, or I can get to the check-out while he's enjoying a coffee elsewhere). He slays me with his, "what'd ya buy?"

I think I'm going to count all of the books on all of my shelves, just out of curiosity. Might not be today, however, as it is pouring -- lovely literary day!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM

Wouldn't that be divine, Mooseketeer. I made an attempt at a proper library, also years ago, with wall to wall bookcases (movable ones, but all matching); two lovely wing chairs, and an oriental. It was a small, but cosy room with enough light to serve as a backdrop and throw light onto the treasure of books.

Now I keep book buying and the collection of same, limited, and still manage to have quite a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Lovely story. I would be like just that except I am a tidy freak . My idea of heaven is a proper home library with wall to wall bookshelves and one of those cute little ladders.
Something like Professor Higgins' library in my fair Lady would do nicely. Some nice leather armchairs, a couple of nice Tiffany lamps and some old Turkish rugs and I would be a happy woman !

Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
We have a small room in our house that we want to turn into a "library/computer room". Planning on building a big wall of bookshelves and I just can't wait to do this, I have having my books packed away in boxes, the horror of it!
We are almost done remodeling the spare bedroom, so this room will be next. Yeah :-)

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm glad you fessed up, RDSLOTS, as I suspected the numbers were not insignificant.

A cursory glance can enlighten you without a numerical one by one count: suggested shelf capacity for an average bookcase length: 30 hardbound; 40-odd paperbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Sitting here, thinking of that song that goes, "Heaven. . . I'm in heaven." What a lovely description of your friend, his place, and his lifestyle.

Mooseketeer, I'd suggest some of the furniture go out of the house, before you part with books. I mean, you could pile them up, make tables and chairs of them, and meet your needs on several ends. Just think, you can even re-arrange the furniture, quite literally.

Numbers. On the road wants numbers.

Well, OK. Here we go. . . 1 to infinity.

Now that I'm finished being a smart-alec, I'll purchase anywhere between 2-5 monthly from Quality Paperback, on average. The number may be much higher at holiday time because I give books as presents, even to (and especially) children.

If I get to a bookstore, maybe 2 - 3 x month, I'll buy anywhere from 2-10 (more if I think husband won't raise an eyebrow, or I can get to the check-out while he's enjoying a coffee elsewhere). He slays me with his, "what'd ya buy?"

I think I'm going to count all of the books on all of my shelves, just out of curiosity. Might not be today, however, as it is pouring -- lovely literary day!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Naw, Man! I am going to count these suckers. You've done thrown down the gauntlet.

You have described my family room, BTW. Two wingbacks and an ottoman flanking the fireplace. Across the room, 3 bookcases pushed together to create one big unit. The bedroom has a similar set-up with two chairs (our grandfathers', no less, and so comfortable) and an ottoman, and nice reading lamps, right next to a large bookcase -- I don't even have to get up as a rule to even pull a book from the shelf, unless I want one of hubby's on his side. I was lucky-enough to have a formal living room/office on the front of the house, and we call that room "the library." Same set up with comfortable chairs and an ottoman, lamps to read by.

Still humming. . . "heaven. I'm in heaven."

Didn't Jefferson say, "I cannot live without books?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books