Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:21 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times

Advertisements

The little house series was written for children, I believe I read in a article that was why she didn’t write her whole life and problems and hardships because it was for children to read.

For all you know it may inspire them to want to learn more. My daughter took a miner in history in college for fun, the little house series was on of her favorites as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
People have read about Rose Wilder Lane, Laura's daughter, and criticized her. Like many others, I'm not a fan of RWL, but I also have to recognize the era she grew up in, when newspaper journalists didn't always feel the facts were pertinent to a story. I also believe RWL was bi-polar and that brings more understanding to her behavior and temperament.
She'd probably win a Pulitzer today, then.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:17 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The Little House TV series, which is still shown in reruns, has some anachronisms.

It's set in the 1880s, when telephones were barely invented. Only a handful of phones existed, in very large east-coast cities. Certainly, rural doctors in Minnesota did not have had telephones until several decades later. It's also unlikely that Nellie Oleson would have a voice-recording machine, which had also been barely invented, and use it to capture Laura's embarrasing gossip.

It's unrealistic (in one of the last episodes) that Laura would have traveled to Arizona to take a college class, or that the great Ralph Waldo Emerson would have lectured there. Arizona then was a wild frontier territory, and a train ride from Minnesota would have been extraordinarily long, complex and probably involve several changes of trains.

One episode was called "Jonathan's Mountain" with Ernest Borgnine. There are no mountains in southern Minnesota.
Of, for that matter, anywhere else in Minnesota.

There are some hills optimistically called 'mountains' in the northeastern part of the state, but it's really - really - stretching the term to call them that.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
She'd probably win a Pulitzer today, then.
No, she would have spent her whole life in court. She could never get away with what she did back then.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, she would have spent her whole life in court. She could never get away with what she did back then.
Everybody else does.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
In a related incident, there was some months back a comic book character (i think a villian but again it was a while back so I'm not sure) who used a word some on the interwebs took offense to (think it was retard but again don't recall all the specifics).

It was decided to edit & revise the language used in said issue.

Now I'm not for those that delight in yelling fire in a crowded movie theater then scream free speech.

At the same time I think its lead to a slippery slope when instead of just issuing an apology, or a defense or a clarification that they start the revisionisms.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM

192 posts, read 186,386 times
The only thing that disturbs me about the Little House books are the people who claim to be disturbed by them.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:51 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
In a related incident, there was some months back a comic book character (i think a villian but again it was a while back so I'm not sure) who used a word some on the interwebs took offense to (think it was retard but again don't recall all the specifics).

It was decided to edit & revise the language used in said issue.

Now I'm not for those that delight in yelling fire in a crowded movie theater then scream free speech.

At the same time I think its lead to a slippery slope when instead of just issuing an apology, or a defense or a clarification that they start the revisionisms.
Agatha Christie wrote a book called And Then There Were None. At least, that was the title as published in the U.S. in 1940; it was published in 1939 in the UK under Christie's original title, Ten Little [a seven letter word beginning with 'N']. Apparently, the racial epithet in question was considered far more offensive in the states than across the pond some eight decades ago. Seems like a reasonable and prudent business decision to me. After all, the publisher could have retained the original title but didn't want to see diminished stateside sales as a result. It would seem the Christie agreed with the decision. If it mattered to her all that much, she could have refused the change.

By the way, comics in the 21st century are far, far less subject to such acts of 'taming down' today than in the past. In the 1950s, the Comics Code Authority - like the Hays Code with regard to motion pictures - mandated a whole slew of requirements by which comics had to abide. Here's just a sampling:
Quote:
*Policemen, judges, Government officials and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.
*The crime of kidnapping shall never be portrayed in any detail, nor shall any profit accrue to the abductor or kidnaper. The criminal or the kidnaper must be punished in every case.
*No comic magazine shall use the word horror or terror in its title.
*All characters shall be depicted in dress reasonably acceptable to society.
*The treatment of live-romance stories shall emphasize the value of the home and the sanctity of marriage.
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Comic_book_code_of_1954

Note that these were not mere options for writers to follow in order to maximize sales. If they did not abide by these rules, it was essentially impossible to get a comic published and distributed.

I have no particular issue with the Little House books, though I hardly remember them decades after I read one or two.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:26 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Agatha Christie wrote a book called And Then There Were None. At least, that was the title as published in the U.S. in 1940; it was published in 1939 in the UK under Christie's original title, Ten Little [a seven letter word beginning with 'N']. Apparently, the racial epithet in question was considered far more offensive in the states than across the pond some eight decades ago. Seems like a reasonable and prudent business decision to me. After all, the publisher could have retained the original title but didn't want to see diminished stateside sales as a result. It would seem the Christie agreed with the decision. If it mattered to her all that much, she could have refused the change.
Quite frankly your illustrating my point.

In all the times I have heard about Christie, the fact you mentioned was never brought up at all.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:53 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Quite frankly your illustrating my point.

In all the times I have heard about Christie, the fact you mentioned was never brought up at all.
You made a point about a slippery slope. The slippery slope fallacy holds that if we do X, then we necessarily are going to have to increasingly do X. Yet the example I posted is 80 years old. Where's the increase? In fact, writing has gotten much more open since that time. The First Amendment has been incorporated, and the then-widespread obscenity laws that existed in various cities and states were gutted by Supreme Court rulings beginning in the late 1950s. Books such as Lady Chatterly's Lover and Tropic of Cancer are no longer banned in the United States, though they previously were.

The Christie book as original published - ie, under its original title - is widely available on both Amazon and E-bay (I just checked) and undoubtedly elsewhere as well. The fact that you were unaware of this is no more remarkable than the fact that when I peruse Christie's list of published works (and I've read at least two of her books that I can recall) I see all sorts of titles still in print as such of which so far as I can tell I have never heard.

As I noted with comics in general, the form is much more open now as far as what content is allowed. This is also true with books. I have just finished a manuscript of roughly 90,000 words and will be pursuing publication shortly. Sixty years ago, no publisher would have touched it and had I self-published it then the work would be subject to legal bans. Why? Because of content. Today, I face no such restrictions. Long gone are the days when married couples on television had to sleep in separate beds and the word 'expecting' had to be used because 'pregnancy' was beyond the pale, when Mick Jagger had to agree to change 'Let's spend the night together' to 'Let's spend some time together' to appear on the Ed Sullivan show, when films had to refrain from depicting interracial relationships or gays in any contexts other than degeneracy or effeminate camp.

That artists will occasionally decide to change what they have written bothers me not one iota. Singers alter lyrics. Directors change cuts. That is artistic freedom. I, too, have done this during the editing process, and have been open to it at other times where I eventually deemed it unnecessary.

There is no slippery slope. To the contrary, while social standards are constantly changing, we're going steadily in the opposite direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books