Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 04:44 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've tried the Tschai books and just can't finish them, they seem so stilted and dated. The Edgar Rice Burroughs books are dated as well, but they are SO dated that it's easier to put them in their context and accept them for what they are and when they are.
That's an interesting concept, that Jack Vance's Tschai books, written in the late '60's-early '70's would be old enough to be stilted and dated, but Burroughs' books, written approx 1910-1940 would be old enough that the being dated would be more acceptable. I suppose it would be even more applicable to the works of Welles, Verne, and Poe.

Taking it further, the middle of Burroughs' career would be approx 1925, 93 years ago. If the middle of the Tschai series is 1970, 93 years later would be 2063. Do you think it would take that long for them to be dated enough to be acceptable the way you find Burroughs to be now, or do you think that maybe tastes are accelerating somewhat and that it won't take quite that long to achieve similar status?

I'm a big fan of the Tschai series, and I'm not trying to be argumentative. I found your comment interesting and would like to hear more from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books