Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Re: the Little House Books

This idea is really growing on me. Is there one book in particular of this set that you would recommend?
IMO, these are short enough and quick enough that you could easily read and discuss 2.

I'd probably choose one of the earlier ones and one of the later ones...maybe "Little House on the Prairie" and then "These Happy Golden Years" (my personal favorite). You could also contrast Laura's childhood (probably "Little House" or "On the Banks of Plum Creek") with Almanzo's childhood ("Farmer Boy"). If you are avoiding depressing, I do not recommend "The Long Winter." I love all of the books except for "By the Shores of Silver Lake" so it's hard to choose.

ETA: "Little Town on the Prairie" features a minstrel show. That might be offensive, or it might make for good discussion. Just so you know.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 02-11-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:36 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
ANYTHING by Anne Tyler.....

Patchwork Planet
The Accidental Tourist
If Morning Ever Comes
Before We Were Grownups
etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:11 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Just a heads up about "Leisureville." I suggested it to my book club and almost got my head bit off. Apparently it's not a cheerful book at all. A few people had read it, and said it was mean spirited and basically just a young author making a lot of snide remarks about seniors. The descriptions of The Villages didn't match the experiences of people in my group (several of whom have been there) and in other ways what he had to say didn't quite ring true. It seemed more like he was pushing an agenda rather than giving a fair look at the community. So, thought I'd pass that on, in case anyone else is looking for the same sort of thing.

Meanwhile, we're going to try "Early Bird" and the "Little House" idea was received well. We might also try a Bill Bryson book.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:47 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Just a heads up about "Leisureville." I suggested it to my book club and almost got my head bit off. Apparently it's not a cheerful book at all. A few people had read it, and said it was mean spirited and basically just a young author making a lot of snide remarks about seniors. The descriptions of The Villages didn't match the experiences of people in my group (several of whom have been there) and in other ways what he had to say didn't quite ring true. It seemed more like he was pushing an agenda rather than giving a fair look at the community. So, thought I'd pass that on, in case anyone else is looking for the same sort of thing.

Meanwhile, we're going to try "Early Bird" and the "Little House" idea was received well. We might also try a Bill Bryson book.
I'm sorry that one didn't pan out. I didn't see it that way when I read it, but perhaps I should take another look. I found some of the people who lived there quite interesting. I did think it raised some interesting issues about these types of communities, though.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm sorry that one didn't pan out. I didn't see it that way when I read it, but perhaps I should take another look. I found some of the people who lived there quite interesting. I did think it raised some interesting issues about these types of communities, though.

I didn't read it myself, so just going on hearsay. But, FWIW, it might be a generational thing. I notice the same thing on city-data. Younger people often find hilarity in remarks that strike people in my generation as mean-spirited.

Or it could be that an outsider didn't portray it accurately, because even mean remarks can be funny if they have a ring of truth. I understand it was written by someone who mostly learned about The Villages by going to a local bar and asking who had stories to tell. You might get colorful stories that way, but probably not truthful ones. One thing I've noticed over the years is the first person who wants to talk to a stranger in a bar is usually someone harboring resentments.

It also may be one of those things where a book written by someone who lives in a community can get away with saying certain things, but when an outsider comes in and makes critical remarks about the same thing it doesn't sit well.

Or, who knows. Guess I'll have to read it myself to see why they didn't like it.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
One of my book club's favorite books was "The School of Essential Ingredients".

It's about an upscale restaurant that has a cooking class at night, and the participants, who are varied. Their stories are wonderful. And the sensuality of cooking and eating.

Also, The Bean Trees.

The Bridge Ladies, a memoir written by a 50 something of her mother's bridge club as her mother ages, is fabulous. It's enhanced if you know how to play bridge - some of the stories you just won't get if you're not a bridge player.

The Weird Sisters, about a family that gathers as their mother is diagnosed with cancer is really good. The whole family are readers, and kind of weird and quirky, but really enjoyable.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
I didn't read it myself, so just going on hearsay. But, FWIW, it might be a generational thing. I notice the same thing on city-data. Younger people often find hilarity in remarks that strike people in my generation as mean-spirited.

Or it could be that an outsider didn't portray it accurately, because even mean remarks can be funny if they have a ring of truth. I understand it was written by someone who mostly learned about The Villages by going to a local bar and asking who had stories to tell. You might get colorful stories that way, but probably not truthful ones. One thing I've noticed over the years is the first person who wants to talk to a stranger in a bar is usually someone harboring resentments.

It also may be one of those things where a book written by someone who lives in a community can get away with saying certain things, but when an outsider comes in and makes critical remarks about the same thing it doesn't sit well.

Or, who knows. Guess I'll have to read it myself to see why they didn't like it.
As I recall, he portrays several people who he "followed" -- he spoke to them multiple times, and in some cases, seemed to become friends with them. He may have actually moved to The Villages, although I can't recall for certain. I was interested in the book mostly because my in-laws moved to Ocala, although they didn't move to The Villages. I found it interesting how dominant The Villages became in that part of Florida, and he also goes through some of the history of retirement communities and how they initially came into existence and some of the issues we should be pondering. I recall, after reading the book, thinking about the question of whether we really should have age-restricted communities, and what effect that has on the community if children are prohibited. Might it make more sense to have communities that cater to older people (and would not be attractive, generally, to people who have children, or at least young children), but not have an outright ban?

It gave me a wider perspective on retirement communities in general. My in-laws live in one (although they have only been there for a year and a half or so) and my aunt also lives in one. They all like them. My parents, however, would never, ever live in one. My husband's grandparents lived in a retirement community in Florida, although this was a while ago -- when they weren't quite what they are today, and again, it was great for them. My grandmother would never have lived in a retirement community and when she moved from her house, she moved to a very nice apartment building where there were a fairly high number of retirees but it was not an "active adult" condominium complex -- anyone could live there. It was also in a more urban area, rather than a suburban area or Florida.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
One of my book club's favorite books was "The School of Essential Ingredients".

It's about an upscale restaurant that has a cooking class at night, and the participants, who are varied. Their stories are wonderful. And the sensuality of cooking and eating.

Also, The Bean Trees.

The Bridge Ladies, a memoir written by a 50 something of her mother's bridge club as her mother ages, is fabulous. It's enhanced if you know how to play bridge - some of the stories you just won't get if you're not a bridge player.

The Weird Sisters, about a family that gathers as their mother is diagnosed with cancer is really good. The whole family are readers, and kind of weird and quirky, but really enjoyable.

Oh yes, Barbara Kingsolver's "The Bean Trees" is wonderful.
And her book "Pigs in Heaven" is cute too.

Loved the School of Essential Ingredients. Or any book with food and cooking as background

Old 02-19-2019, 05:32 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
I run a book club at the library (where I work), and I think the most humorous book we've read recently was A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman... it is laugh-out-loud funny in parts, but also has a heartwarming message in the end. My members all LOVED it, and they too are mostly women over 55. Give it a try if you haven't read it yet!

I'll post a few more later, since my brain isn't coming up with any right now.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:07 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer (2008).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books