Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 08:25 AM

137 posts, read 43,609 times

Advertisements

So... Is this idiot ever going to finish the series? He's 75 years old, and is still writing Book 6, with Book 7 to follow...
Seems like he got lazy once Game of Thrones became a thing and made him filthy rich by butchering his story.
I hate to see this turn into another Wheel of Time. Although at least with WoT, I got introduced to Brandon Sanderson, who is by far a better writer than Robert Jordan was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 08:43 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
He's not lazy, I think he just has other projects that he works on. I do wonder if he's lost interest in finishing it though, and I've kind of lost hope that book 6 (let alone 7) will ever be released. Also, I know he gets pretty annoyed when people talk about whether he's going to die before finishing it. Here's the quote: "Well, I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, ‘f*** you’ to those people."

I feel like maybe part of the reason he's lost interest in it is because of all the fans speculating and worrying if he'll finish the series before he dies, like they don't even care about his well being, just whether he'll finish the books. That understandably might put anyone off.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
He's not lazy, I think he just has other projects that he works on. I do wonder if he's lost interest in finishing it though, and I've kind of lost hope that book 6 (let alone 7) will ever be released. Also, I know he gets pretty annoyed when people talk about whether he's going to die before finishing it. Here's the quote: "Well, I find that question, you know, pretty offensive, frankly, when people start speculating about my death and my health. So, ‘f*** you’ to those people."

I feel like maybe part of the reason he's lost interest in it is because of all the fans speculating and worrying if he'll finish the series before he dies, like they don't even care about his well being, just whether he'll finish the books. That understandably might put anyone off.
Can't blame the fans... The books pretty much came to a full halt as soon as he inked that HBO deal. GoT started airing in 2011... The year that the last book, Dance, came out. How can anyone be optimistic that he might finish his project? A Game of Thrones was published in 1996. From there, he was releasing a book every two years (back when it was supposed to be a trilogy.) Then, Feast and Dance in 5 and 6 years respectfully. Now, it's been 13 years lol...

So fans have every reason to be frustrated at having invested time to his story over decades, with no end in sight (well we know there's an end... But it might never be told.) I vaguely remember what happened in Feast and Dance, including some of the characters. I'd have to go back and re-read basically everything to enjoy anything that might come out in the coming years. This series should have been wrapped up ten years ago at the latest.

He keeps saying he has trouble writing the books, something about being out of ideas, or not knowing how to progress. A mark of a good storyteller is not only having the ability to create a story and setting, but also being able to wrap things up and conclude it. If he is unable to wrap up and find a resolution to his own story, the story is trash masked behind a promising concept. He wrote 5 books that created chaos piled on top of chaos with each installment, and now it's out of control. Wonderful.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:27 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
Can't blame the fans... The books pretty much came to a full halt as soon as he inked that HBO deal. GoT started airing in 2011... The year that the last book, Dance, came out. How can anyone be optimistic that he might finish his project?
I didn't say anyone should be optimistic, I even said I've lost hope of it happening. But there's a difference between that and speculating about his death or not caring about his well being beyond what it means for the series. Imagine people who claim to be your "fans" constantly talking about when you're doing to die - can't imagine that's fun for him to hear about and I can't blame him if it's part of the reason he's maybe lost interest in finishing it.

Quote:
So fans have every reason to be frustrated
Again, I didn't say they can't be frustrated. You can be frustrated without speculating about when he's going to die. He's a human being. People seem to forget that celebrities are human beings.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I didn't say anyone should be optimistic, I even said I've lost hope of it happening. But there's a difference between that and speculating about his death or not caring about his well being beyond what it means for the series. Imagine people who claim to be your "fans" constantly talking about when you're doing to die - can't imagine that's fun for him to hear about and I can't blame him if it's part of the reason he's maybe lost interest in finishing it.

Again, I didn't say they can't be frustrated. You can be frustrated without speculating about when he's going to die. He's a human being. People seem to forget that celebrities are human beings.
I don't think it's so much "speculating" about his death, but rather being realistic, in that he is a 75 year old man who has never really appeared to be in good health.
Old people die.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
I don't think it's so much "speculating" about his death, but rather being realistic, in that he is a 75 year old man who has never really appeared to be in good health.
Old people die.
Yes. I give Stephen King credit for realizing that he was not going to live forever, and getting on the ball and finishing The Dark Tower.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:26 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I can only speculate. But I don't think he is lazy. I just don't think his heart is in it anymore. His imagination has been living in this world for over thirty years. As a writer that has to be draining.

Can you imagine having lasagna for dinner every night for the rest of your life? The first time it might be great. Even by the third or fourth night you might still enjoy it. But the fifth week it's more akin to torture. I suspect that is what is going on here. I'm not mad at Martin over it. I sincerely sympathize with him. He has built his own prison.

I wish he would just buck up and collaborate with another writer to get words on the page and finish up. Let his mind go on to other things. Lots of his fans are screaing for Brandon Sanderson to do it, but that would be a mistake. Sanderson's sensibilities are completely different to Martin's. That would be like hiring Tom Clancy to finish a Stephen King book.

The day will come when the publisher has to find another writer to finish the series. The best candidate I have seen for that is David Anthony Durham, an admitted admirer of Martin's work and fellow Fantasy author who is genuinely talented.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:03 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I think he has simply run out of story. So read something else he wrote.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I can only speculate. But I don't think he is lazy. I just don't think his heart is in it anymore. His imagination has been living in this world for over thirty years. As a writer that has to be draining.

Can you imagine having lasagna for dinner every night for the rest of your life? The first time it might be great. Even by the third or fourth night you might still enjoy it. But the fifth week it's more akin to torture. I suspect that is what is going on here. I'm not mad at Martin over it. I sincerely sympathize with him. He has built his own prison.

I wish he would just buck up and collaborate with another writer to get words on the page and finish up. Let his mind go on to other things. Lots of his fans are screaing for Brandon Sanderson to do it, but that would be a mistake. Sanderson's sensibilities are completely different to Martin's. That would be like hiring Tom Clancy to finish a Stephen King book.

The day will come when the publisher has to find another writer to finish the series. The best candidate I have seen for that is David Anthony Durham, an admitted admirer of Martin's work and fellow Fantasy author who is genuinely talented.
Sanderson NAILED Wheel of Time, and I became an instant fan of his after that. Mistborn is an amazing read.
That said, I agree with everything you said here. Sanderson's style would not fit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think he has simply run out of story. So read something else he wrote.
This is exactly what I think happened. And it's what can happen when one gets carried away in creating too many sub-plots and is no longer able to wrap it all up. It should have ended long ago, instead of being dragged out the way it did.

Terry Goodkind is another author I think could be a decent candidate for this, although I'm not sure whether he is a fan....

Old 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Sanderson NAILED Wheel of Time, and I became an instant fan of his after that. Mistborn is an amazing read.
To each his own. I get why people love Sanderson. I don't. I really do think he is the Tom Clancy of Fantasy. That's not an insult, but it does describe his approach to storytelling. It's not for everyone.

I never finished WHEEL OF TIME, but I have tried reading THE WAY OF KINGS a few times and just cannot get into it. But hey, to each his own.

Quote:
Terry Goodkind is another author I think could be a decent candidate for this, although I'm not sure whether he is a fan....
It would be very hard for Goodking to finish this series. He died in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books