Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times

Advertisements

karibear..I loved the wagons west series! back when they first came out, I used to have to wait 6 months or so for the next book. I used to think it would be a great tv series, but knowing what networks do to a good book, I doubt it would turn out! There was also a great series of books about Australia. author was William Stuart Long. I think there were 8 or 10 books in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM

410 posts, read 1,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly_sky View Post
I have a really hard time finding good books. I can't stand sappy romance novels, mystery books or sci-fi..

I like more of a Little Woman type read, or novels that take place in early Early America around the revolution time period. I'm open to other types though but I just can't find something I like. Can u help.. it seems most books are either for older adults or young teens and nothing inbetween. So can u recommend anything at all?
Have you tried Janette Okes's books? She has several series, although most of them are set in the 1800's or early 1900's.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Try Elizabeth George's mystery books. Very well written. I also have enjoyed Sandra Dallas - The Persian Pickle club is a pleasant read. You might also enjoy The Magic of Ordinary Days.....can't remember the author right off hand and I'm too lazy right now to go look in my bookshelf (although I might have lent it out anyway come to think of it)...they both have historic backdrops.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know how you feel. I am hard to please. And it seems like the Best Seller list continues to just be full of tripe.

There's a woman who has this quilting series. Some of it is historical fiction. Jennifer Chiaverini. Helps if you read them in order.

Also give Alexander McCall Smith a try. I like the Isabel Dalhouse and Ladies Detective Agency series the best. Same with reading in order.

Have you read The Good Earth, by Pearl S Buck? Great book. As is Gone with the Wind. Fantastic. Roots is another great book.

Try Joanna Fluke's Hanna Swensen mysteries (again, read in order). And Tamar Myers Penn Dutch mysteries. Funny and fun to read.

I know you say you don't like science fiction, but give Ender's Game a chance. I avoided reading it for years b/c I couldn't get past the first few pages, but when I finally sat down and read it, it was fantastic.

I know it's children's fiction, but the Little House series has actually been expanded to include stories about other family members, including Caroline. Just very entertaining.
Laura Ingalls Wilder also had book published that are her diaries of sorts and works in her later years. Very interesting to "see" that side of her. They are more of an adult read.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
In order to get on the reading bandwagon you'll have to develop an eye for certain kinds of books, that's to say you'll never suffer from a lack of choices but you'll need to narrow the field to a few specific types of writing not writers. Non fiction is patiently waiting behind that ton of romance and fictional stuff that fills the bookstores and library shelves, I'm going to suggest that you try biographies of people you have never heard of, they can be absolute gems and sometimes just as hard to find. When you do find these rare glimpses into the lives of not so famous people you'll see the beauty of great writing and it's genuine ability to engage the reader. I'll recomend some things to get started on, any books by Studs Terkel, (used book stores have tons) this guy has written quite a few books and should get you started on some memorable works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books