Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,732,840 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an interesting read for someone. Shouldn't be filled with too many large words as to have them wondering, "What's that mean?", every page.

Any Agatha Christie book do? "And Then There Were None"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times
What age group? What are their other interests?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM

21...interests? Sports...softball, snow boarding...not sure of any interests that could tie into something. She said "a whodunit type murder mystery."

She loses focus easily so maybe something that has every chapter is like "WOW" let me keep reading.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,496,212 times
The Sue Grafton mysteries (aka the alphabet mysteries) are pretty easy to follow and entertaining. Also the ones by Sara Paretsky are fun. They both feature young and single women detectives...

And I asked because I think that often times more reluctant readers tend to stick with a book if it has something they relate to...that's all..

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Cool. Yeah I honestly have no idea about these types of books. I only read non-fiction books. Watch movies for my fiction fix, hehe. I will check those out. Any other ideas will be appreciated. I like the idea of the young women detective because maybe she can find a way to relate.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
Try Ross Thomas. He died a few years ago, but he wrote very cool crime and caper novels. A lot of his stuff is being brought back into print by popular demand. The guy was so good at dialog that he was used as a script consultant in Hollywood to iron out all the clunky language.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM

169 posts, read 527,071 times
what type of TV shows does she like? maybe that'd help eg does she like CSI? Bones? etc?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 PM

She doesn't watch TV. She loved the movies Zodiac, Clue, Mystic River, Reservoir Dogs.

So far I plan to get her "E is for Evidence" and "And Then There Were None"

Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,234,054 times
I'm 25 and here is what I have enjoyed

1.Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. There is a good suspense element in it, but they are also just darn funny too, which keeps me entertained (starts with One for the Money, then 2 for the Dough, etc.).

2.James Patterson is also good: either his Women's Murder Club series (1st to Die, 2nd Chance, etc.) or his Alex Cross Novels (started w/ Along Came a Spider, most recent one is Cross Country, just out in hardback).

3. I concur that Sue Grafton is pretty good.

4. The Coffeehouse Mysteries by Clare Cosi (On What Grounds is #1) are not too bad and you get some great coffee making tips.

5. Nelson DeMille's NightFall is interesting.

6. Anything by Vince Flynn rates up there for me, these are mostly set in the world of DC, so it would help if she enjoyed get a fictional view of insider political life as well as a good mystery/thriller.

7. I tend to enjoy the mysteries in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series. These are by Nora Roberts (she uses a pen name) and there is some romance to them, but it is easy to skim over and they are not by any means "romance novels". The first one is Naked in Death, and they focus on Homicide cop Lt. Eve Dallas as she works to close the case. Interesting character development. I would call these mystery novels with a romantic element.

That is probably enough for right now! This is my favorite genre, and talking about them makes me want to go downstairs to my library, but I should go to bed! Have a merry Christmas! Let me know if you want more info!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,658,290 times
There are some light mysteries that your friend may find enjoyable. There are some by Diane Mott Davidson that feature "goldie" the caterer. They also include numerous recipes. Also, there are the China Bayles mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert. These books feature a shop owner and her friend. They have a "plant and herbs" theme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books