Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 AM

19 posts, read 79,461 times

Advertisements

Its been a while since I have read a book that made me think ''whoa'' when I had reached the end. The last one was probably ''A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah. What was the last book you read, or one you remember reading, that relates?

Last edited by Garyc3; 01-02-2009 at 02:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 AM

406 posts, read 1,360,051 times
archaic revival by terence mckenna

Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyc3 View Post
Its been a while since I have read a book that made me think ''whoa'' when I had reached the end. The last one was probably ''A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah. What was the last book you read, or one you remember reading, that relates?
"Long Way Gone" was definitely a 'whoa' book.

Shantaram by Gregory Roberts was another for me.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,863 times
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseni was really good. I had been trying to get Shantaram but couldnt find it in the public library. Looks like I wil endup buying it.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 AM

40 posts, read 73,908 times
"Chicago Blues" by Roddy Doyle

Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyc3 View Post
Some really old books made me go "whoa" at the time I read them. I'm not sure if I read them today, I'd have the same reaction since it's hard to wow, shock, impress or scare people anymore. One was Lucifer's Hammer (1977), an end of the world story, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, One was Salem's Lot by Stephen King (1975). One is The Ultimate Evil (1987) about a reporter's Son of Sam investigative research, by Maury Terry. The last is This Perfect Day (1970) by Ira Levin, who is better known for The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby. I still have all of them in paperback which I guess is the ultimate tribute - they were worthy enough to keep all of these years even if they were only paperbacks.

I read nonfiction these days and nothing shocks, surprises or wows me enough to go "whoa" in the real world, anymore.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
The Shack by William Young. It made me go "Whoa" and really about it and whether or not I agreed with the premise and the theology. Good book, I love books that make me think.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,564 times
Quote:
One is The Ultimate Evil (1987) about a reporter's Son of Sam investigative research, by Maury Terry
Yeah, that was some scarey stuff!! I was shocked, and although I had seen him do an interview or two, his theories were largely overlooked?? I grew up during that period on LI, and remember little bits like the actress found naked on the train in connection to the murder in the Hamptons, and headless dead dogs in garbage bags.

I lent that book to many people.

Another book that I lent to EVERYONE I knew for years (including a Jehova Witness!) was Princess by Jean Sason. Sometimes you wish you didn't know things...this is a book filled with those things.

My other WHOA book, (and I'm sure everyone is sick of me going on about it), is Gulag Archipelago. I spent all summer reading it, and then all year reading everything else I could find on the topic. I called my mom and demanded "how come I didn't know this!!!?"

Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 79,461 times
Shantaram is a great book. I love the way Gregory David Roberts writes, if anyone has yet to read it, it is a stimulating read with much insight on Indian culture...great book.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:11 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
There were quite a few in my earlier days, among them:

The Virus that Ate Cannibals
Life on Man
Supernature and The Romeo Error, both by Lyall Watson
Food First

Quite af few others as well, but those are the ones I remember most vividly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books