Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM

44 posts, read 166,442 times

Advertisements

I am looking for someone's imput on a suggested timeline for the book The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. Not the author's biography timeline, but the events on the book itself. I am having a time trying to figure this out and the book itself is not much help on specifics. Any suggestions or maybe someone's view on a suggested timeline that would be about 15 or so events outlining the book.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM

126 posts, read 454,325 times
LOL!

Oh, honey, are you trying to get us to do your homework for you?

Read the book and do your assignment. Cliff Notes are great for providing well-written synopsis on stories.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ead462 View Post
I am looking for someone's imput on a suggested timeline for the book The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. Not the author's biography timeline, but the events on the book itself. I am having a time trying to figure this out and the book itself is not much help on specifics. Any suggestions or maybe someone's view on a suggested timeline that would be about 15 or so events outlining the book.

Thanks!
Wouldnt the book actually be your best source of help on specifics?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 PM

We DID read the book, honey but are confused about the time happening from the book, such as when did the children enter Narnia or when did the witch murder Arlan, it says this happened but not when exactly. Doesn't say how much time lapsed in between these events. If you read the book you may see what I meant. We know it was in World War II era but nothing specific like dates the characters were born, or when situations specifically came about. Looking for someone to point us in the right direction and a headstart and we can take it from there.
The assignment is for my 4th grader and she read the book more than once. Nowhere in the book are there specific dates and times so it is confusing. So that's why I asked here to see if anyone could provide some ideas or sites to go to for this. Went to a C.S. Lewis site and it did provide info on other things, like puzzle ideas and such, but nothing like a timeline of events from this particular book.
Hoped that maybe someone may have been familiar with this particular type of book assignment and could provide some info.

Last edited by ead462; 03-07-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
We DID read the book, honey but are confused about the time happening from the book, such as when did the children enter Narnia or when did the witch murder Arlan, it says this happened but not when exactly. Doesn't say how much time lapsed in between these events. If you read the book you may see what I meant. We know it was in World War II era but nothing specific like dates the characters were born, or when situations specifically came about. Looking for someone to point us in the right direction and a headstart and we can take it from there.
The assignment is for my 4th grader and she read the book more than once. Nowhere in the book are there specific dates and times so it is confusing. So that's why I asked here to see if anyone could provide some ideas or sites to go to for this. Went to a C.S. Lewis site and it did provide info on other things, like puzzle ideas and such, but nothing like a timeline of events from this particular book.
Hoped that maybe someone may have been familiar with this particular type of book assignment and could provide some info.
Your talking about two different things, real time in England when the children were on the train. The book talks about these children being shipped off to the country to avoid the bombing of London if memory serves. HOWEVER once they entered the wardrobe they went to a different place and time. I have read the entire series on a couple occasions and I don't recall any mention of a date for when the children were in Narnia. If you recall when they were in Narnia, it didn't matter how long they were there, NO TIME passed back in the real world which is what got the older man of the house thinking they might be telling the truth.

The last book in the series explains why the wardrobe is so special. It was made from the wood of a special tree.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Absolutely right Linda! The assignment however says that she needs to make a timeline (on line with at least two dates) giving an idea of when the story took place. Since it was during World War II, we would add on date in that way. The assigment also asks for 15 events depicted on the timeline, so we most likely will do that without dates. It also wants at least two real life events and must be indicated in the same way. That is an easy one to figure out. Historical fiction is tricky sometimes with this as it is a combo of just that, History and fantasy. We thought about doing the timeline in a 'game board' format instead of the traditional one.
Just was wondering if anyone else had an assignment like this one and could help with my questions.
Your response was much appreciated and do thank you for that.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Absolutely right Linda! The assignment however says that she needs to make a timeline (on line with at least two dates) giving an idea of when the story took place. Since it was during World War II, we would add on date in that way. The assigment also asks for 15 events depicted on the timeline, so we most likely will do that without dates. It also wants at least two real life events and must be indicated in the same way. That is an easy one to figure out. Historical fiction is tricky sometimes with this as it is a combo of just that, History and fantasy. We thought about doing the timeline in a 'game board' format instead of the traditional one.
Just was wondering if anyone else had an assignment like this one and could help with my questions.
Your response was much appreciated and do thank you for that.
I guess the two dates on the timeline would be the beginning when the children are shipped off and in the end when they are back from Narnia.
It can't be a REAL timeline however because the 15 events in between aren't on the same timeline according to how the book was written but thats no doubt what the teacher is asking for.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:17 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
The only real time events I can recall would be when the children are shipped off, the first time Lucy enters the wardrobe, the second time Lucy and the other two siblings goes back after Edmund, and when they return. Otherwise it's all fantasy time. Hadn't Narnia been experiencing hundreds of years of Winter? Maybe the teacher was flummoxed by the appearance of Father Christmas at the beginning of the thaw, but it's all metaphorical of the rather obvious Christian message of the Narnia books. CS Lewis may have been invoking scholarship that places Jesus' real birthdate around the beginning of Spring, but even that "historicity" is probably more in service of the metaphor.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Thought about the two dates being that of the beginning when the children are shipped and when they leave Narnia. But since time stood still during the almost the same time they were shipped and the time in Narnia/Wardrobe, wouldn't it be the same time/date? That I guess is confusing. Since they were the same age when they went in and when they left. Guess I wouldn't make it on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?"!
The main events (as a start) behen Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are evacuated from London because of the air raids during World War II. When they were sent to the Professor. When Lucy enters the Wardrobe for the first time and meets a faun (Mr. Tumnus. That's just a start we got. Difficult trying to desipher (sp) History and Fantasy into a periodical timeline.
Will keep looking over the main parts just tough as it is too easy, if that makes sense. Complicated but then not. Argh!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thought about the two dates being that of the beginning when the children are shipped and when they leave Narnia. But since time stood still during the almost the same time they were shipped and the time in Narnia/Wardrobe, wouldn't it be the same time/date? That I guess is confusing. Since they were the same age when they went in and when they left. Guess I wouldn't make it on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?"!
The main events (as a start) behen Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy are evacuated from London because of the air raids during World War II. When they were sent to the Professor. When Lucy enters the Wardrobe for the first time and meets a faun (Mr. Tumnus. That's just a start we got. Difficult trying to desipher (sp) History and Fantasy into a periodical timeline.
Will keep looking over the main parts just tough as it is too easy, if that makes sense. Complicated but then not. Argh!
I can't find my copy of the series but don't the children end up sitting on a train platform at the end of this book or am I thinking of another book? Maybe Voyage of the Dawntreader or maybe the one with Prince Caspian in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books