Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 AM

268 posts, read 453,819 times

Advertisements

Although I've always wanted to, I've never actually taken the time to read any Stephen King. I picked this one up and couldn't put it down. I don't want to get into any details because I don't want to ruin the story for anyone who plans to read it, but I thought it was amazing. I've now officially been coerced into buying a Richard Bachman (Stephen King pseudonym) collection from eBay and will be picking up a few other SK novels later on as well.

Anybody else have a chance to read UTD yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
Although I've always wanted to, I've never actually taken the time to read any Stephen King. I picked this one up and couldn't put it down. I don't want to get into any details because I don't want to ruin the story for anyone who plans to read it, but I thought it was amazing. I've now officially been coerced into buying a Richard Bachman (Stephen King pseudonym) collection from eBay and will be picking up a few other SK novels later on as well.

No, but thank you so much for the review - I bought it for my son for Christmas and I was really hoping it was going to be good!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:

Big fan of King's here - own and read everything but this one. Still waiting for my brother to get out this way (he's a trucker living in TN and I live in NV!) to bring me the copy of UtD he bought for me right after it was released. Though I'm currently reading a couple of new books by other favorite authors (James Patterson and Michael Crichton) I'm really getting anxious to read this one!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I'm also a huge fan of Stephen King. I have all of his books except the gunslinger series.

If you liked "Under the Dome" then you should really try (IMHO) his masterpiece "The Stand." It's wonderful.

King always has such excellent character development. "The Stand" is a monument to that.

I have his Bachman books, too. "Thinner" is one of my favorites. I am not a fan of short stories but King's/Bachman's short stories are in a class by themselves. Wonderful stuff.

Welcome to some very good books, those of Stephen King.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm also a huge fan of Stephen King. I have all of his books except the gunslinger series.

If you liked "Under the Dome" then you should really try (IMHO) his masterpiece "The Stand." It's wonderful.

King always has such excellent character development. "The Stand" is a monument to that.

I have his Bachman books, too. "Thinner" is one of my favorites. I am not a fan of short stories but King's/Bachman's short stories are in a class by themselves. Wonderful stuff.

Welcome to some very good books, those of Stephen King.
K - Thinner was on tv tonight, but I missed it. I didn't care for UTD, but loved the characters in it. There's a thread in here somewhere with more comments about it. When I think of good King books, and I've read them all, except short stories (not a fan of short stories) I always first think of CUJO. That book made me a nervous wreck.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
there has already been several recent threads on both SK and his newest book. plase do a search and post there instead of starting a new thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...-new-book.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...at-author.html

Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Sorry about that. I searched "Under The Dome" and returned no results. I'll be sure to look more thoroughly next time

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Quote:

I enjoyed reading it recently, it's great but not his best. As the other poster mentioned, go direct to THE STAND, it's somewhat similar in structure, but on an epic scale

Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I enjoyed reading it recently, it's great but not his best. As the other poster mentioned, go direct to THE STAND, it's somewhat similar in structure, but on an epic scale
The only reason I haven't picked up The Stand yet is that I've seen the movie and I'm a little worried it'll ruin it for me. I finished Thinner earlier this week, I'm working on Dreamcatcher currently and I'll be diving into Blaze shortly thereafter.

But I'll keep an eye out for The Stand, thanks for the recommend.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Blaze is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books