Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I loved Malevil by Robert Merle, it's out of print and I think I found it on amazon or abe. It's probably my favorite post-apocalyptic book. The characters really come to life. By the end I was sad that it was over. The Virility Factor is also by Merle and is quite good.

I know I'm alone in this but I hated the Road by McCarthy. Perhaps his writing is just not my style. It was torturous to read; and I found the ending unbelievably rosy. I don't think suicide is easy but staying alive in McCarthy's post-apocalyptic world is worse. Also I had a hard time buying the fatherly love that others took away from the book. It didn't seem like love to me. Just my opinion.

No one mentioned Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It is another one of my favorites. I love her style of writing.
I never thought of Atlas Shrugged as a post-apocalyptic event until you suggested it. There was a collapse of civilization in A.S. It was just not brought about by plague, Chemical, biological or Nuclear events. A total economic collapse similar to that in Atlas Shrugged is definitely possible. In fact we may be very close to it already.

I started threads about Atlas Shrugged in the Books and Movie sections in the Entertainment forum. Not many comments yet.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I never thought of Atlas Shrugged as a post-apocalyptic event until you suggested it. There was a collapse of civilization in A.S. It was just not brought about by plague, Chemical, biological or Nuclear events. A total economic collapse similar to that in Atlas Shrugged is definitely possible. In fact we may be very close to it already.

I started threads about Atlas Shrugged in the Books and Movie sections in the Entertainment forum. Not many comments yet.

GL2
Perhaps it's more dystopic than post-apocalyptic.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's more dystopic than post-apocalyptic.
Dystopia. I had to look that one up. I understand the concept but I didn't know there was an actual word for it LOL. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary. I will try to use that in a conversation at the next coffee shop bull session if I can think of a way to apply it to sports or NASCAR.

GL2

Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Dystopia. I had to look that one up. I understand the concept but I didn't know there was an actual word for it LOL. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary. I will try to use that in a conversation at the next coffee shop bull session if I can think of a way to apply it to sports or NASCAR.

GL2
I think if I wasn't an english/lit/grammar nerd in school I probably wouldn't know it either! Sorry, didn't mean to show off!

Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I think if I wasn't an english/lit/grammar nerd in school I probably wouldn't know it either! Sorry, didn't mean to show off!
No need to apologize J-City Relo. I appreciate adding new words to my vocabulary. So thank you.

GL2

Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
i'm getting a lot of great titles to check out from this thread; unfortunately my library doesn't seem to have very many of them.

another post-apoc book i read recently was far north by marcel theroux.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm half way through the next book "Day By Day Armageddon Beyond Exile" and it is just as good as the first. There is more military action in this one but the same core group is involved. What's interesting to me is that the "hero" is so real to me. I almost feel like I know this guy and I really like him.
Just got done reading this book and I am hooked for sure now. Can't wait til the next one comes out. I'm really wondering who helped him out with the parcel drop , and ordered the nuclear launch on the carrier group ?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM

78 posts, read 330,375 times
Another interesting read after plague wipes out the US is called Death Wind, I will check author when I get home tomorrow

Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsci teacher View Post
Another interesting read after plague wipes out the US is called Death Wind, I will check author when I get home tomorrow
William C. Heine is the author.

This book was also released with the title "The Last Canadian."

Wow. The books are available on amazon at $27.00 and $85.00 for used paperbacks.

The story sounds great. An exciting survival story is right up my alley. But that is a bit too much to pay. I'm going to search elsewhere for it.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM

5,017 posts, read 7,221,289 times
While not really a post apocalypse book, "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston tells the true story of how easily living post apocalypse can become a reality. Scared the jebbers out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books