Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM

313 posts, read 1,052,988 times

Advertisements

As a kid- I read most of my books several times.

As an adult, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and all the Harry Potter books. I always think I'd love to take a year and just re-read- but I acquire books like a maniac because I love them so much. Since I am a teacher, I always re-read the novels I do with my kids.

I want to re-read She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb because that was the book that sort of re-ignited my love of reading (had spent 6-7 years in college and grad school, reading academic stuff and novels for classes). I also want to re-read Pillars of the Earth because I read it really fast (about 3 weeks- in time for my book club) but need to wrangle it back from my dad. Hopefully there will be time this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,486 times
She Came To Stay - I found it so hard to follow the first few times I read it as a teen, but get so much more from it as a 'grown-up'.

Catcher In The Rye

Alice In Wonderland (again, so much more fun as a 'grown-up)

A few by Dean Koontz, and Jackie Collins. They're good for when the brain cells are fried.

Earthlight, and the Tales of Ten Worlds anthology by Arthur C Clarke. more old friends from the teen years.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,858 times
Last year I reread The Count of Monte Cristo, full unabridged version. I had first read this in high school long ago. This time, even at 1350 pages the book went by too fast, finished in two weeks. This is a great adventure and nothing like I remembered. I recommend the latest Penguin edition with a new translation.

Amazon.com: The Count of Monte Cristo (Penguin Classics)

Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitajas View Post
What books have you read more than once?

How often do you read them?

Up until now I have not read anything a second time, but two of the books I plan to read again are To Kill a Mockingbird and Gone With the Wind.
The only books I voluntarily look at a second time are reference books. Otherwise, if I read so much as a paragraph, I know whether or not I've read this book before, and will want something new and fresh.

I was pretty irritated when I read Dan Brown's novel, The Da Vinci Code. I knew that I had never read anything by that author, yet I recognized a lot of the plot elements in that book. I'm not saying Dan Brown's a plagiarist, but....

Old 03-14-2010, 03:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,649 times
In no particular order of preference . . .

Dave Marsh, The Heart of Rock and Soul: The 1,001 Greatest Singles Ever Made
Roger Kahn, The Boys of Summer
Herman Wouk, The Caine Mutiny
Fred Allen, Treadmill to Oblivion
Nadine Cohodas, Spinning Blues Into Gold
James Thurber, The Beast In Me and The Thurber Carnival
P.J. O'Rourke, Republican Party Reptile and Give War a Chance
E.B. White, One Man's Meat
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Music at Night, Point Counter Point, and Brave New World Revisited.
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, A Coney Island of the Mind
Christopher Buckley, Losing Mum & Pup
H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy
Albert Jay Nock, Free Speech & Plain Language and The Memoirs of a Superfluous Man
Martin Buber, I and Thou
William Faulkner, Pylon and Absalom! Absalom!
Mario Puzo, The Godfather and Inside Las Vegas
Hamilton, Jay, and Madison, The Federalist
Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
Jim Bouton, Ball Four and I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally
James Bovard, "feeling your pain": The Explosion and Abuse of Government Power in the Clinton-Gore Years and Attention Deficit Democracy

. . . just to name a few . . .

Old 03-14-2010, 03:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Just about every book in my bookcase (except for the newest acquisitions) have been read by me at least twice, some of them several times. Not having a library close enough to walk to and not being able to afford to just run out and buy whatever book I want, when ever I want has almost forced me into being a "rereader", though I must admit to having been a "rereader" most of my life any way. Rereading favorite books is like revisiting with old friends.
YUP! This is exactly what I do and say.
I have hundreds of books on ten bookcases scattered around the house. I love to see people's expressions when they ask me how many of them have I read and I tell them "All of them and more than once or twice."
I can easily get to thrift shops to buy cheap books, and the library is within walking distance also, but I prefer to revisit my old friends often.
I make sure I have something new to read at all times. However, I often want the comfort of something familiar - especially if I am sick in bed.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Default A Few of my Favs:

-Trainspotting
-The Jungle
-Gulag Archipelago
-A Clockwork Orange
-Brave New World
-A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
-The Acid House
-Catch 22
-A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
-The Road

Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 PM

609 posts, read 1,259,797 times
the deep end of the ocean - jacquelyn mitchard
the notebook - nicholas sparks
mystic river - dennis lehane
house of thunder - dean koontz
girls poker night - jill a. davis
all of laurie notaro books ive read a few times...always good for a laugh
go ask alice

thats all off the top of my head lol...theres a few that i want to read again. a couple dean koontz books...id like to read nora roberts sign of seven trilogy again. thats all that comes to mind.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:42 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The only books I voluntarily look at a second time are reference books. Otherwise, if I read so much as a paragraph, I know whether or not I've read this book before, and will want something new and fresh.

I was pretty irritated when I read Dan Brown's novel, The Da Vinci Code. I knew that I had never read anything by that author, yet I recognized a lot of the plot elements in that book. I'm not saying Dan Brown's a plagiarist, but....
Really? Do tell.

I was just irritated at all the idiots who seemed not to realize it was fiction. Even worse, one person actually lectured me for reading the book and "believing that stuff", complete with a litany of Bible verses to "prove" it wasn't true...

No wonder I like to read so much. Real live people can be very difficult to deal with sometimes.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I've read Unintended Consiquences by John Ross, twice. The last time was just recently. Sometimes I wish I would have taken notes. But, if you are familar with this book, that statement makes me look like a weirdo who doesn't like the goverenment. It's the only book I've read twice, and it has over 800 pages.
That's one I've read a few times. Unfortunately, both copies I have bought I lent out and haven't gotten back. Adding insult to injury, I can't find another.

Add to that, Atlas Shrugged, I used to read it every 2-3 years, and once again need to pick up another copy.

All of Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books