Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

Little Women, Watership Down, The Stand...to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,498,774 times
I've got to say, Harry Potter. I've read the first one probably 6 times, and have only read the last one 2, maybe 3 times. I'd like to read them all again, and have very very slowly gotten to the second book, and feel stuck on it now. I'm not getting the chance to read because of my little one. The last time I read them, I read them out loud to my husband who has also read them multiple times.

I've read The Giver 3 times. Once in school, once this past year, and again this year out loud to my husband.

I've read Lost On A Mountain In Maine only once, back in Middle School, but recently got two signed copies and would like to get a chance to read it again, and to my husband. It's a short book, shorter than the giver.

There honestly are not a lot of books that I've found interesting enough to read. I have read the Twilight saga, and don't intend to read them again. It really should only be two books. The first and the last, except they'd have to add a couple pages to the second book to cover the little bit of interesting information in the middle two books and fill in any possible gaps in the story. I read these out loud to my husband and it definitely didn't seem all that exciting until the last book.

Tried reading Wicked out loud to my husband, and anyone who has ever read it can understand why it's very difficult to read out loud. We didn't finish, it was too difficult a read for us to gain any interest. Tried reading DarkFever out loud as well, and it was pretty interesting after a little while, but then it seemed to drag on and I was tapping my foot waiting for it to wrap it up. Never finished.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:20 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,899,704 times
I have had the good fortune to teach in high school a few books that either I really loved, or at least were very good. So in a sense I was "forced" to re-read these books, but it was a blessing. (In one case, I read the book aloud as a volunteer - after retirement - to a fifth grade class).
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (in French)
Black Boy by Richard Wright
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Call of the Wild by Jack London

On my own I have re-read various books, both fiction and non-fiction. In one case, I re-read a chapter of a book, a most fascinating and thought-provoking chapter, the "Grand Inquisitor" chapter in The Brothers Karamazov. My vote for the most thought-provoking and oddly disturbing play would be Equus by Peter Schaeffer.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
Several of Agatha Christie's novels, by far my all-time favorite writer, and several of John Grisham's novels as well.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM

15 posts, read 17,994 times
Gone With The Wind 5 or 6 times
The Stand
Outlander series
Clan of the Cave Bear Series
Ghost Story
all of Poe & Shakespeare
The Grapes of Wrath
To Kill A Mockingbird
Shogun series
The Sound of Music
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Little Women
Pride & Prejudice
The Bible
The Godfather
Helter Skelter
Eragon series
The Talisman
In the middle of second go round on The Game of Thrones series
I'm sure there are more I just can't think of right now.
I too think of my books as old friends. There are books I have loved, read again a decade later and hated, read again another decade later and loved again.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I've re-read a number of my books about dogs, training them, especially those by Patricia McConnell and Karen Pryor, our relationships with them, including Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier and The Loved Dog by Tamar Geller. Fiction that features dogs such as The Art of Racing in the Rain, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and many mysteries by Susan Conant, David Rosenfelt and Spencer Quinn, has also been a staple of my reading diet. Redemption by Nathan Winograd is also a must read for me. All the Big Red stories by Jim Kjellgard were read many time when I was a kid.

When I was younger I did more rereading of books I enjoyed especially science fiction by Issac Asimov, Spider Robinson, Arthur Clarke and Marion Z. Bradley. Now that I'm older I don't feel that I have time to read all the books I want to so there is less rereading. Before moving cross country 8 years ago I did get rid of thousands of books and do miss some of them but just as soon as the dogs come up with the winning lotto numbers I will buy many of them again for my ereader.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:13 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I read anything great more than once - assuming that I own it - and I've read the two you mention many times.

Someone said - I can never remember who - that anything worth reading is worth re-reading several times.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,846 times
too many to list.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,281 times
I'm with you House4kids. Too many to remember. Have been an avid reader all my life, so have read LOTS! Have begun re-reading some of the stuff from my teen years such as the Mary Stewart books: "Moon Spinners", "Ivy Tree", etc., re-read Wambaugh's "Stop the Carnival." Also have re-read all of Jimmy Buffett's books. I started re-reading the Diana Gabaldon time-travel series (Dragonfly in Amber, etc.). And also Helen Hooven Santmyer's " and "Now, Ladies of the Club..." Oh, and re-read all of Lewis Grizzard & Dave Barry's. These are the re-reads that stand out right now. I guess that you can assume by this list that I am not into science-fiction, man's imhumanity to man, blood & guts, violence. Just want a good story. Going to re-read my Carl Hiaason's (sp?). Loved them all.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,220 times
1) The Tolkien tetrology (Hobbit, FOTR, TTT, ROTK FOUR TIMES! Have not looked again in over 30 years

2) A lot of Asimov

3) a lot of Bradbury

4) A lot of Clarke

5) a lot of Heinlein

6) Just about all of Raymond Chandler

7) I'm sure there are a lot more bits and pieces.

A well written book is well worth a second look. A great book can be re-read many times and still yield insight. For the record, I believe that Tolkien's work is the greatest piece of creative writing of the 20th century, and so far of the 21st as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books