Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times

Advertisements

Yes, *these* are the things that I worry about.

I have four books on Kindle-hold at the library. One of them is Gone Girl. There were about 250 people in line before me when I signed up, and now I'm number 90 or something like that (there are 23 copies available).

The problem is that it looks like my number might come up at the same time that I'll be away for a week. I don't much care if I lose my place with the other books -- the waiting list isn't *that* long, so if it works out that it's my turn while I'm away, I'll just put my name back on the list when I return, and wait a while longer.

But... BUT!!!!... with Gone Girl, there are now about 300 people on the list AFTER me. So if my turn comes while I'm gone -- the library only "holds the hold" for four days -- then I have a looooong wait when I come back and become number 301, or whatever the number it is at that point.

I checked: You can't put yourself on vacation or anything like that to put your hold on hold.

The irony of this is that I didn't even WANT to read Gone Girl until you guys told me what a good read it is.

I just re-read what I wrote here. Only a book lover would have a panic attack over something like this, right? What a first-world problem this is. Yeah, there are many bigger things to angst about (and yes! I did make "angst" a verb there! ha!) -- you know, pesky things like CANCER! and the ECONOMY! -- but I like to start small on a holiday weekend.

/silliness over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,353,105 times
But, but, but can't you take your Kindle with you when you are away? I haven't borrowed any library books yet that way so I don't know how it works.

I agree - only a book lover would have a panic attack over a siatuation like this. And there's nothing wrong with that!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I checked: You can't put yourself on vacation or anything like that to put your hold on hold.
Dawn, are you absolutely certain about this, because I believe most of the libraries use the same system to manage their circulations, and I know we can Suspend a hold, which doesn't lose our place in "line" so if while suspended our turn comes, when we un-suspend, we get the next copy available.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
But, but, but can't you take your Kindle with you when you are away? I haven't borrowed any library books yet that way so I don't know how it works.

I agree - only a book lover would have a panic attack over a siatuation like this. And there's nothing wrong with that!
Nope, it's not connected to the Kindle in that way. It's done via computer... and then to Amazon... and then to Kindle. Convoluted, for sure. And unfortunate for me. I'll see the email come in on my phone, telling me that it's my turn, but without actual computer access, I can't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dawn, are you absolutely certain about this, because I believe most of the libraries use the same system to manage their circulations, and I know we can Suspend a hold, which doesn't lose our place in "line" so if while suspended our turn comes, when we un-suspend, we get the next copy available.
I looked. My library must be a socially inept second cousin once removed from a real library.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
I'll apologize in advance for my total lack of sympathy.

Personally, I love libraries. But your attitude is one of several that is ultimately undermining libraries, and making them forget their purpose. Gone Girl is a new book. If you are so desperate to read it, BUY IT. That will solve your panic quite easily. That's how publishing companies stay in business and how they can afford to keep publishing. Otherwise, wait a year or two, then hunt it down at a library. It horrifies me that library will waste money buying two dozen copies of a current book, but then I can't find a copy of the Dickens I want.

Again, sorry for my irked viewpoint.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM

I know how you feel on the subject of buying books, Cida. I actually DID just purchase a new book (Tell the Wolves I'm Home) and didn't much enjoy the book, so I'd rather wait until I can get a library copy of Gone Girl.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Personally, I love libraries. But your attitude is one of several that is ultimately undermining libraries, and making them forget their purpose. Gone Girl is a new book. If you are so desperate to read it, BUY IT. That will solve your panic quite easily. That's how publishing companies stay in business and how they can afford to keep publishing. Otherwise, wait a year or two, then hunt it down at a library. It horrifies me that library will waste money buying two dozen copies of a current book, but then I can't find a copy of the Dickens I want. Again, sorry for my irked viewpoint.
Cida, we haven't met before, so I hesitate to disagree with you on our first meeting. Please don't be offended, but like you I am also a library advocate, and often want to find books less in demand, so I've discussed the situation with librarians. What I discovered is that most libraries get funding by the number of users they have, and will rid themselves of books that don't "turn" to make room for those that will. It is good business sense for them to buy multiple copies if it keeps users coming back.

Also, if your library doesn't have a copy of a book, most libraries participate in an inter-library loan system. I've had books come to me from across the continent. So, don't be irked. Be glad that we library patrons will give the libraries a reason to buy extra copies. (And as for the publishers... don't worry, they aren't going to run into the red anytime soon.)

Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,171,188 times
DanJ: I hear your angst...
From what I've heard, the book is a can't-bear-to-put-it down, so I'm sure you'll move back up the list faster than you think. And when you finally do get that "it's here" e-mail, it's like a surprise present because you've pretty much forgotten about it for a while! (Yeah, I'm trying to put a spin on this for you...)
I hate it when I've been waiting for a certain title and it comes in with three others I've put on reserve and there's no way I can read all three in the allotted time if they're new books. But the library system in my neck of the woods does have a "freeze" option for vacationers. Maybe you should suggest that your library look into adding that option?

Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
DanJ: I hear your angst...
From what I've heard, the book is a can't-bear-to-put-it down, so I'm sure you'll move back up the list faster than you think. And when you finally do get that "it's here" e-mail, it's like a surprise present because you've pretty much forgotten about it for a while! (Yeah, I'm trying to put a spin on this for you...)
I hate it when I've been waiting for a certain title and it comes in with three others I've put on reserve and there's no way I can read all three in the allotted time if they're new books. But the library system in my neck of the woods does have a "freeze" option for vacationers. Maybe you should suggest that your library look into adding that option?
Thanks for the spin!!! That was helpful.

I just hope that those quick readers know that they can return it manually, before their time is up. Some people aren't aware and keep it for their full time allotment because they don't know that there's another way. Oh, well.

And, yes, I'm definitely going to suggest the "freeze" option. Thanks for that too!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just re-read what I wrote here. Only a book lover would have a panic attack over something like this, right?
As a book lover, my attitude is "too many books, not enough time!" - there are hundreds of great books out there I have an interest in reading... so what if you have to wait another 300 loans before you can read one? There's plenty else to read in the mean time - I've got about 30 books on my Kindle already (freebies and bargains) that are waiting to be read. And if you really wanted to read one particular book that badly, you could always buy it instead. I'm not giving you a hard time by any means, just saying that would be my attitude towards it. I have the same approach towards ebook new releases that I think will come down in price later - I'll bide my time with the dozens of other books I want to read until the price comes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books