Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fiction or non-fiction?
Usually only non fiction. 25 27.78%
Usually only fiction. 26 28.89%
A healthy mixture of both. 39 43.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:37 PM

325 posts, read 153,602 times

Advertisements

90% non fiction reader because I have an insatiable appetite to be educated and for me the best way is to read constantly. IMO I educated myself more after I quit high school than I ever did IN school. Especially after seeing what they require to graduate high school today its pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,490 times
Mostly fiction. I love to escape into the story as it unfolds.....

Some of my favorite authors are: Karen Robards, Lisa Kleypas, Jayne Ann Krentz, Jennifer Crusie, Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Rachel Gibson.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
I only read non fiction,usually history,but I picked up a historical fiction novel two days ago that I'm enjoying,it's called possession and is set in the Victorian era and modern times.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I LOVE reading non fiction - history, biographies, sociological studies, travel books, autobiographies, etc. To me, real life is so interesting, I don't feel a need for fiction - unless it's philosophical or allegorical, like George Orwell or Ayn Rand or CS Lewis' fiction.

Some of my very favorite writers are (in no particular order): Thomas Friedman, Bill Bryson, Peter Ackroyd, GK Chesterton, Bruce Feiler, and Norah Lofts.

That being said, sometimes I just want to lose myself in something totally fantasy, like the Outlander series. It's got enough real history in it to keep me interested...and who wouldn't want to fall through time and marry Jamie Fraser? LOL

Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So you think The Lord of the Rings is as fact-based as The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich? Then you concede that you are completely ignorant of virtually all history, as you only know what you've seen written and relayed. The Civil War? Just someone's story. The Norman Conquest? No different that Beowulf. George Washington? Accounts of his life are no more real than Melville's account of Captain Ahab. Following your -- [ahem] -- 'logic'.

And that's obviously wrong.
because books like jane austen or mark twain that depict "everyday" life while being made up is no different than a book about some guy named "george washington" who went off to fight a war... unless you took the task of researching history, how do you know how "accurate" those "non-fiction" books are?

even "cold mountain" being "based" on a true story, is still a fictional book that could be "based" on any number of people during the time period

while I don't particularly like the book, since it is widely read enough, to kill a mockingbird is also "fiction" but does good enough to let people "learn" a bit about what went on in the time period

was rich dad/poor dad not "real" enough for MBA programs to teach it in the 1990s? yes it is fiction and debunked now, but back then enough colleges thought it was worth enough to teach from

when did "fiction" become become "fantasy" in your mind? and why do you feel compelled to use a mocking tone

Last edited by MLSFan; 01-01-2017 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 06:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
BOTH!

I read everything and just pick up what the next book lying around is.

In the past 3 weeks, I've finished a non fiction of a C-130 crash at the North Pole, picked up and went through "The Bedford Incident" and am now reading "The Widows of Eastwick". Don't know what will be the next book.

I see people knocking fiction and then recall a discussion I had the other day with another diver about a real life table top tactical exercise I did in the 80s. I brought up a question about whether or not our defense counter measures settings should be on automatic. The obvious answer was "Of course! If he has fired a missile at us, he knows where we are!".

I was approaching it from, "What if he has worked out we our in 2 or 3 possible locations and he can afford to fire a missile down each axis? Will we, when we start defending ourselves, make enough noise to tell him where we are?" (and I was directed to find that answer and the rest of it is not up for discussion)

THE THING IS, I rather learned about that tactic in this fictional book that I had read years before the exercise:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...'_Gate.jpg

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-02-2017 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 06:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I'm captivated by a good story but I do enjoy historical fiction wherein I learn much of what I was supposed to have learned in school.

Murder mysteries are favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books