Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Directions:

1. Book #1 -- Take the First sentence
2. Book #2 -- Take the last sentence on page fifty
3. Book #3 -- Take the second sentence on page one hundred
4. Book #4 -- Take the next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
5. Book #5 -- Take the final sentence of the book

Now <<>> Make the five sentences into a paragraph. (Not easy)

Before we begin saving normal, we need to figure out what it is. If this issue has not affected you directly, you can be sure it has affected at least one person you know. During his six years of seminary training and theological study, the emphasis was on self-examination and internal discipline. Primal Therapy was born decades after the demise of Rank's theory of birth trauma. It is time to tell the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 03:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Directions:

1. Book #1 -- Take the First sentence
2. Book #2 -- Take the last sentence on page fifty
3. Book #3 -- Take the second sentence on page one hundred
4. Book #4 -- Take the next to the last sentence on page one hundred fifty
5. Book #5 -- Take the final sentence of the book

Now <<>> Make the five sentences into a paragraph. (Not easy)
"So this was freedom. David Brown could not bear to be alone. On his bad nights he usually dreamed of abandonment - in those dreams Aurora was usually the person who abandoned him, and she usually did it in airports, in countries where he didn't speak the language. She loves especially to hear about the dark coasts of South America with their impenetrable wall of trees and offshore breezes full of the stink of rotting kelp and the cries of whelping seals. A chill night breeze came whispering down from the depths of the valley, and suddenly the place was full of ghosts - shadows of men alive and dead - my own among them."

"New York" by Edward Rutherford
"If You Really Loved Me" by Ann Rule
"The Evening Star" by Larry McMurtry
"All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
"Mutiny On the Bounty" by Nordoff/Hall

Old 09-18-2015, 06:42 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Saturday, January 10th, 1863, was a bleak, cloud-darkened day in the nation’s capital. Several writers did continue to voice Chesterfield’s protest that good breeding did not consist entirely of “low bows and formal ceremony,” and a few also expressed their dislike of excessively formal salutations and adieux. He entered Geary’s lines and dismounted beside the tent of General Greene, who lay on his cot, his face mangled and soaked in blood. Instead, Israel’s God alone creates and superintends the boundaries of natural forces (Job 38) and providentially cares for creatures he has placed in nature (Ps. 104) even as he cares for the people whom he formed by his covenant call (Isa. 42: 5-9). Ultimately they concluded that being an intellectual in the South was as rewarding, as Simms phrased it, as “drawing water in a sieve.”

Books used (in order of appearance and numbered according to instructions):

Book #1 "The Celebrated Case of Fitz John Porter", Otto Eisenschiml
Book #4 "Bowing to Necessities, A History of Manners in America, 1620-1860", C. Dallett Hemphill
Book #3 "The Shipwreck of Their Hopes: The Battles for Chattanooga", Peter Cozzens
Book #2 "Revolutions in Worldview", Edited by W. Andrew Hoffecker
Book #5 "A Sacred Circle, The Dilemma of the Intellectual in the Old South, 1840-1860", Drew Gilpin Faust

That was a lot of fun, I'm going to try that again later when I have more time.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:57 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Fun!

Mine:
The coat was advertised in Sunday's paper. There was something about the dark eyes, and the tiny, pearly teeth. What's that? Leaving the house behind, she continued down the High Street toward Holyrood, waving and smiling. Although having one dog is more work, more costly, and brings with it more responsibility, it's also a lot of fun for you and your dogs.

Junior Miss by Sally Benson
Fault Lines by Anne Rivers Siddons
The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George
Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood

Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 PM

308 posts, read 366,920 times
At dusk they pour from the sky. But then I was told in reply to my questions by some landowners, and especially by my town teachers, that it was all a sham and staged to avoid work, and that it could be easily eradicated by suitable severity; and various amusing stories were told to prove it. Not knowing where to put her hands, she stuffed them in her pockets. "Tell people the truth." Darcy, as well as Elizabeth, really loved them; and they were both ever sensible of the warmest gratitude towards the person who, by bringing her to Derbyshire, had been the means of uniting them.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

Old 06-24-2016, 04:37 PM

I had fun doing this last fall so I wanted to do it again. Here's what I got:

"You'll like my daughter, Peter told Emma, "no matter what she does to you." However, Dr. Michael Luongo said he hadn't determined what caused the 19-year-old Ridgefield, Conn., sophomore to drown. They knew she had run down the lane while I was upstairs for hardly any time to speak of. The kids had definitely jacked the music up in the living room by now, and their dancing had gotten wilder, claimed more space. I watched his back receding down the long. gleaming hall.

This is My Daughter - Roxana Robinson
Missing 411/A Sobering Coincidence - David Paulides
A Map of the World - Jane Hamilton
While I was Gone - Sue Miller
The Secret History - Donna Tartt

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
Pretty g00d!!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Pretty g00d!!
I was surprised how it all came together and actually sounded a little creepy...

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,829,556 times
If Im ever in a good enough mood again,Ill try it a 2nd time

Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Fallacy, error, sin, miserliness - busy our minds and work our bodies, and we feed our lovely remorse, like liars nourish their vermin. Half suffocating, he watched with bulging eyes as his sister unselfconsciously took a broom and swept up the left-overs, mixing them in with the food he had not even touched at all as if it could not be used any more. And why complain of more, why complain of very much more. Never went there a man to the grave loaded with heavier curses. Veil your deathless tree - him you chasten, that is he!

1. Les Fleurs du mal by Charles Baudelaire
2. Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
3. Tender Buttons by Gertrude Stein
4. My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass
5. Poems by Emily Dickinson

Pretty strong thematic liaisons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books