Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times

Advertisements

Having touted the joy of "lighter" summer reading, a few posts ago. . . I am embarrased to admit that a friend reminded me that I was going to continue learning about physics by reading some of the books out there written for "laypersons". . . . .and I have just ordered "The God Particle", and another by the same author. . . . .so, this summer, those two, The Elegance of the Hedgehog, and The Help. . . . .just to start with. . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,612 times
My reading is more serious/intensed (e.g., more history, more biographies, etc.) during fall/winter than summer.

I'm also more prone to read sad stuff in the winter.

Summer reading includes some love stories, light suspense stories, and less biographies and (less) sad stuff (especially during long rides to weekend vacations)

Spring? I do a combo of serious/light stuff, I guess.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
oh yeah nothing better than curling up with a good thick book in the winter and a hot cup of tea ,joe or hot chocolate . in the summer light reading with a diet coke or water or the house wine of the south ice tea . LOL !!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
oh yeah nothing better than curling up with a good thick book in the winter and a hot cup of tea ,joe or hot chocolate . in the summer light reading with a diet coke or water or the house wine of the south ice tea . LOL !!
One of my favorite summer drinks is Diet Faygo Grape.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I dare you go post this in the Food & Drink forum.

(You know what? I wish I had one right now. But not diet.)

Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I might do that.

Diet tastes better to me. Regular is too ... regular.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
I've thought about this before too--must be a bookworm thing. For instance I would never dream of reading Tom Sawyer, H. Finn, or Lord of the Rings at any time except summer. Wuthering Hts and Jane Eyre belong squarely in the late fall and Little Women was always in the winter. For me, it's not the lightness of the reading material so much as it is what season each book seems to belong to.

I have fond memories of summertimes when I'd get to read to my heart's content and I would spend hours in my books, but my mother was such a joykiller--she was always nagging at me to go do something else. I never could understand why she and the schools spent such an effort to teach me to read and then they always wanted to take my books away.

For summer drinks, it's Ruby red grapefruit juice and squirt, with lots of ice.

Oh, and cap, I jsut put The God Particle on my summer reading list yesterday.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
The time of year definitely affects my choice of reading material. When the weather is nice outside there are so many things that distract me that I don't attempt reading subject matter that requires a lot of concentration. I save the heavy stuff for when the snow is flying.

GL2

Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I know this is a strange question, probably.

But I've been thinking about my summer reading "wish list" and I realized that summer is the time of year when I read mostly "fluff" and "beach books" since those seem to be the ones that are so heavily marketed. And in the winter I tend toward "heavier" stuff. Now I'm thinking that I might be better off reading more challenging books in the summer, since I am fortunate to have off and won't really otherwise use my brain. Maybe I'll mix it up this year.

Anyone else?
Most of my reading nowadays is non-fiction, and I find that I can take lots of breaks and interruptions in it without losing the thread, so it's good spring and summer reading.

In the less inviting, more indoorsy months, I read fiction and it is often books like the Alexandria Quartet, Tale of Genji, etc. which are very long and with complicated plots. But I am far more inclined to read for several hours at a stretch then.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I just wish I could get a Faygo anything! There's only one place my son knows of in this entire city where they have it and he won't tell me where it is because it's the one thing he can bring when he wants to give his mother a gift! LOL! I really want a Rock & Rye right now.

As to answering the OP - I've always read what I wanted, when I wanted and never really paid any attention to the time of year. I guess the only thing that might influence when I read a particular book is whether or not I can find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books