Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

113 posts, read 108,888 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance for the length of this but its important you know a little about me before answering. First off, I currently live in the mid-west in a small town. Im 22 years old, and I was born with a visual impairment that may likely prevent me fron getting a drivers license. In small-town USA, daily life is a constant struggle without a car. For the past couple of years ive researched cities all over the U.S. and have pretty much settled on Boston.From what I understand, it has an extensive public transit system, and countless job and educational opportunities. Where the problem for me comes in is cost-of-living. I will have $917.00 coming in every month of Disability and in a city like Boston, getting to a job shouldnt be a problem right? I will also have $25,000 saved to get me started. I figure ill start out at min. wage somwhere and combined with my benefits I just might be able to make it work. What I want to know is: is Boston a city where I can live a normal and independent life? I dont want to live in a place where I could "just get by" I could do that where I am now. Is Boston a place I could live, work, date, maybe start a family one day, and basicly live like anyone else? Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If not Boston itself, could I live anywhere in its suburbs and still have easy access to transit? Is apartrments in the suburbs any cheaper?

Last edited by sambo2929; 07-31-2010 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 PM

226 posts, read 588,900 times
I'm sure long-time Bostonians will weigh in, but as someone recently arrived in Boston myself, I might have a different perspective. I do not wish to be discouraging, but it's no secret that Boston is VERY expensive. True, public transit is pretty good here, but like most places, it's best in the core and peeters out the more you get into the more affordable suburbs. I would think if you want to come to Boston, it's because you want to be in Boston proper rather than a long ride into town. Given your budget, I think you may find the pickings slim. Also, while Massachusetts is doing better than a lot of other states, I would not assume that it's easy to get a job here (obviously, that depends on your skill-set).

You didn't ask for alternatives, but have you considered a place like Pittsburgh? I think of it as kind of a mini-Boston with great culture, parks, economic and educational opportunities, AND it is about 50% the cost of living here. It has a good bus system (tiny light-rail system); the bus routes are every bit as extensive as they are here. It is also very sensitive to/enlightened about folks with disabilities and I imagine there are good services for vision-impaired people. I came to Boston for a job, but if I didn't have a job in hand, I would make a bee-line to someplace like Pittsburgh.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Im originally from Mass and lived about 40 minutes south of the city near Rhode Island. I was going to say live in Providence but there bus system isn't all that great. Job wise I think you would find the area in dire straits. Many end up working in Mass and paying two income taxes. It would be a good alternative to Boston though and many do it that way to live in the area. Rhode Island is less costly than Mass but still much more expensive than where you live.

Yes Boston and its many suburbs and exurbs are very expensive. You could cut down on costs by moving a distance from Boston but that would defeat your purpose for wanting to live there. I understand where your coming from on that.

So this is my advice for you from someone native to the area. Go for a visit but a visit that would be based on living there, no tourist stuff. If you find your determined to live there. Check into the close in suburbs with good public transit in and out of Boston. Cities such as Somerville, and Cambridge, Allston and Brighton alot of college kids live in these two communities to get costs down at least a little.

You could go a little further out but still be on direct subway lines into Boston if you go to Quincy or Malden. These communities I mentioned would cut down on your rent over the ridiculous cost of Boston. Still it would be expensive housing and most would be older units, many in peoples homes such as two and three family dwellings.

So I would not say give up on your dream of Boston just make sure you can handle the costs.
I would not want to see such an expensive area eat up all your money and it could happen before you knew it.

I could also recommend Portland, Oregon where I live. It has all your needs especially the transit and its a lower cost than Boston, Its unemployment is a disgrace though, and a few other things about it are not what I would recommend. So scratch this place.

Like the previous poster if Boston ends up being way out of your reach as it is for many. Do try Pittsburgh. As mentioned it has much of what Boston has at a much much lower cost of living. Transit would not be much of a problem there nor would Educational options for you. I think you could find a job for yourself and this is very important. Your money would not be eaten up as quickly as it most definitely will be in Boston. You would also be much closer to the midwest if you lived in Pittsburgh.

You are wise to think ahead concerning this vision problem. I commend you for your initiative at such a young age to tackle life in a very mature and intelligent manner. It is a shame Boston and Mass in general is so expensive or I would have never left. Well I didn't like all the cold and snow that much and the drivers are just about the worst there are lol. Mass is a great place in many ways and I do miss it and visit about once a year. The expense of it unfortunately keeps many from living there.

Best of Luck and keep us informed. Ask as many questions as you need, and people will answer and help where they can. It will all fall into place and you will make the right choice for yourself.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM

255 posts, read 882,246 times
Unemployment is everywhere. If you will receive 900 a month in benefits and have 25 grand saved, that's more than enough until you get a job. Simplify your life, maybe rent a handicap unit or a studio. Call around for housing for disabled. If you receive ssi there are government provisions you can take advantage of, while still workling and maintianing a normal life style.
Whoever you meet, and marry will have to accept and love you for you, and that means accepting the fact that you're visually impaired. Id start calling the apts asap, and look for a one bedroom or studio. Remember, life is never perfect. But if you want to leave small town america, and step into new englands big city, then sacrifices need to be made.
Best wishes.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM

113 posts, read 108,888 times
I see that some of you have suggested alternatives like Pittsburgh and thats ok, I want any advice you have to give me, but try and keep in mind that i want not having a car to be as much of a "non-issue" as possible. In the city I choose, I want not owning a car to be common amongst its residents. Also keep in mind that I know it wouldnt be easy Financialy, But arnt there people who live there that are not wealthy? How do they get by? Also, to offset the cost of rent , Living with a roomate would be ok with me till I atleast got settled in and started with things. thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM

226 posts, read 588,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
I see that some of you have suggested alternatives like Pittsburgh and thats ok, I want any advice you have to give me, but try and keep in mind that i want not having a car to be as much of a "non-issue" as possible. In the city I choose, I want not owning a car to be common amongst its residents. Also keep in mind that I know it wouldnt be easy Financialy, But arnt there people who live there that are not wealthy? How do they get by? Also, to offset the cost of rent , Living with a roomate would be ok with me till I atleast got settled in and started with things. thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.
The idea of sharing a place is very common in Boston to my knowledge; much more common than I've seen anywhere else I've lived (of course, the cost of living is the mother of invention ). Tons of students in Boston renting/sharing rooms. My own sense is that you may not have to be wealthy to live in Boston, but you do have to be 1) solidly middle-class, 2) willing to live in slightly seedy areas, 3) willing to share households, or 4) willing to commute into the city from suburbs.
I recommended Pittsburgh because it does have good public transportation (not much in the way of rail, but as good a bus service as Boston has). It's also a place where you can find a lot of students to share an apartment with (if you want to go that way) but the cost of living is much cheaper. There are several "walking neighborhoods" in "in-town" Pittsburgh (as there are in Boston) where everything is available within a few blocks radius. The difference is, in Pittsburgh, you can afford to live there, after taxes, on about 18K wherease in Boston a very spartan budget would be closer to 28K. To live comfortably might take something closer to 40K (and even that is not living high on the hog). Of course, YMMV--I am too old for the ramen-every-night lifestyle.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,893,041 times
Quote:
Also keep in mind that I know it wouldnt be easy Financialy, But arnt there people who live there that are not wealthy? How do they get by? Also, to offset the cost of rent , Living with a roomate would be ok with me till I atleast got settled in and started with things. thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.
Yes, there are plenty of people in Boston who work in fast food or domestic services. They get by. They don't live on Beacon Hill, but they also don't have a car and are able to make it to work, the movie theater, wherever else they may need to go. I figure a minimum wage job + disability will get you to about $2,000 a month or a bit more. As long as you are flexible about neighborhood, apartment size, or willing to have roommates, you can get by on that. The other thing to keep in mind is that Boston may be expensive, but it also offers a wealth of free or very inexpensive activities.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM

116 posts, read 320,178 times
I think Boston and the surrounding area is pretty welcoming to people with visual impairments. Nearby Watertown, MA is the home of the Perkins School for the Blind. I see many folks with vision problems navigate the city and transportation system daily. Massachusetts just announced that movie theaters will make accommodations for those with vision and hearing problems. Perkins - Movie Theaters To Improve Accessibility for Blind, Deaf

You can find a place to live in the area on your budget. Check out places like Jamaica Plain, East Boston, Cambridge, Brighton, Allston, Watertown, etc. Getting a roommate will also help save money.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM

40 posts, read 106,287 times
Quote:
I apologize in advance for the length of this but its important you know a little about me before answering. First off, I currently live in the mid-west in a small town. Im 22 years old, and I was born with a visual impairment that may likely prevent me fron getting a drivers license. In small-town USA, daily life is a constant struggle without a car. For the past couple of years ive researched cities all over the U.S. and have pretty much settled on Boston.From what I understand, it has an extensive public transit system, and countless job and educational opportunities. Where the problem for me comes in is cost-of-living. I will have $917.00 coming in every month of Disability and in a city like Boston, getting to a job shouldnt be a problem right? I will also have $25,000 saved to get me started. I figure ill start out at min. wage somwhere and combined with my benefits I just might be able to make it work. What I want to know is: is Boston a city where I can live a normal and independent life? I dont want to live in a place where I could "just get by" I could do that where I am now. Is Boston a place I could live, work, date, maybe start a family one day, and basicly live like anyone else? Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If not Boston itself, could I live anywhere in its suburbs and still have easy access to transit? Is apartrments in the suburbs any cheaper?
Yeah, do it.

Sometimes you gotta just

make things work

because ya only live once

ya know

Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 191,248 times
Boston is a pretty expensive city. If you live by yourself, I'd plan on budgeting around $900-$1,000/month for rent. This doesn't include utilities, either. You could easily get a roommate and cut your rent expense down a bit.

There are a ton of neighborhoods to live (all of which range from expensive to very expensive). There are a ton of inner "suburbs" that are essentially their own little cities (Somerville, Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Quincy, Malden, Medford, Lynn, Everett, etc.) They all have different feels to them, so you might want to do some research first. Most have access to public transportation (either buses or the subways) that allows you to commute into the City pretty easily.

If I was you, I would probably try to line up a job first, although you do have enough living expenses to cover you for a while.

Boston has a ton of stuff going on, especially during the summer. The City itself is very lively, it's relatively clean (compared to other places I've been such as Miami and Philly), there are many universities if you ever want to get another degree, there are a ton of great restaurants (you could realistically try a new one every weekend for many years), there is a lot of cool cultural and historical things, a ton of good live music, and some of the most selfish and entitled people you'll ever meet.

The suburbs would probably be considered very "urban" for other cities, so don't be put off by living in a surrounding town or city. You still get the city feel for the most part.

Without a higher paying job, you'll definitely feel the pinch a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston