Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

You won't be able to register and insure your van in MA without a valid address. And auto insurance isn't cheap. You'd do better to rent couch space in a multi-bedroom apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 AM

138 posts, read 339,846 times
You don't have to register your van in MA if you're a college student.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostontopueblo View Post
You don't have to register your van in MA if you're a college student.
True. But he'll have to have his van registered with current valid plates from somewhere...

Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
What are you going to do when it's freezing cold or during parking ban on snow days?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 78,122 times
I'm seriously not so sure I want to go to Berklee anymore after reading some of these online forums. Overall, most people seem to agree that it is a huge waste of time and money and will not get you a job within the music industry when finished. It also seems that its not the place to do if you want to pursue something original outside of jazz. (Although I really do enjoy playing jazz-like styles).

I guess my new question is this: what are the best cities to move to for a musician? I want to start a band up, build a steady following and go on tour eventually. Really want to make something happen, bottom line. Here is a link to some of my music if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LzPV-u4La0

Not putting Berklee out of the list of options completely, but the more I read, the more enlightened I become...

Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Victor:

You are nuts if you believe you require a college education in order to pursue a career in music. Outside of music theory and/or voice training, it is a complete waste of money (unless you want to become a member of an orchestra) and absolutely pointless.

You can learn music theory on your own and train your own voice.

I have been in many bands, toured the US a few times, and have many more friends that have done the same-with the inclusion of touring Europe and/or Asia. I cannot recall one person who received a formal teaching with their instruments. They all, like me, just picked one up one day and started messing around. We did it by just doing it. We made it happen.

Best cities for music? It really depends on what particular style you really want to go after. But, for the most part Austin, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Seattle, Portland, Or., Chicago, Detroit (yes, even after MoTown moved to LA), and San Francisco are going to be at the top. Boston is not bad itself, but Boston has some very strange social constraints that tend to hinder things (this topic is explored in other threads).

Despite being the industry hub, I would avoid LA. New York City, too.

If I had to choose one best city for music, it would be Minneapolis hands down.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 78,122 times
K-Luv:

I have been considering San Fransisco. Chicago seems promising too because of its widespread diversity for all styles of music and kinds of people. Don't think I could live in LA or New York anyways. Only to visit, its just way too crowded and the market is saturated. I'm still going to audition for Berklee, only because I've already invested into the $150 application fee. Like I said, unless they give me something substantial, I'm not going. Would go for the experience above everything else. Then again, real experience playing gigs somewhere like San fransisco and further developing my own style sounds better to me than some "jazz purist" telling me how to do everything properly, just like everyone else, and going into a long time debt in result of it.

No thanks! Ha.

It's just hard trying to figure out how to make a living and make some travel opportunities out of playing music. That is what I truly want to do. How to get there is what I'm trying to figure out.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
miu

I would save up and check out the annual SXSW festival in Austin and network. Every city has a different music style, so depending on what indie bands you like, move to their town. However... it's really long shot to be a successful professional musician that can make a decent living on just playing your own original music.

I do think that music schools like Berklee can help make any musician more hireable as a musician in many industries. A place like that can teach you how to become a sessions musician or compose music for projects like film scores And also, as with any top school of any sort, while going there, you will be among other top musically inclined students which will only give you more career connections. Having more structured musical training will also help give you the option of becoming a music teacher should you not become some famous musical performer. Going to class with other musicians, getting along with them and working on different projects will help with future networking. And going there and keeping an open mind to different styles of music can only help broaden what you can offer future band mates and employers. Don't just stick to the style of music you like to play now.

It seems to me that basic talent and skills aren't enough to make it in most fields. Knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time are also important factors.

Otherwise, I do recommend that you have a Plan B in place should you not succeed in the music industry.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM

33 posts, read 224,266 times
So have you decided on Berklee or not? I'm hanging on the edge of my seat. Either way I wish you the best! Never let go of your dreams.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor14 View Post
K-Luv:
I'm still going to audition for Berklee, only because I've already invested into the $150 application fee.

It's just hard trying to figure out how to make a living and make some travel opportunities out of playing music.
If after auditioning you decide not to go to Berklee don't just blow it off, formally withdraw by letter, follow up by phone, and definitely request a refund of your $150 application fee. If you ask, you might get it.

K-Luv is giving you good advice. Have you thought about busking? I know people who make $200 cash in a few hours playing on the street in Boston at a good location. That's how Tracy Chapman started and got disovered; we use to listen to her play for small change on the sidewalk in front of Elsie's in Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston