Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

Hi there. Current WIT student here. I'm a second year Electromechanical major. I'd be more than happy to let you know about my experiences so far.

Freshman year I lived in Baker hall which is a old dorm style building with 2 people per room and a common bathroom per floor. It's very small and, to be honest, feels like a jail. With that said, the small space forced everyone to get to know each other. I made a ton of friends living in Baker and I had a blast between floor activities, pranks and the like. Evans Way/Tudbury is the other freshman dorm, which has roughly 6 to 8 people per suite. I never lived there, but from people I know, you don't really interact too much with people outside your suite, but your suite mates become friends for life. I currently live in 610 Huntington which is a suite style building, housing roughly 6 people per suite, and was built around 2000.

I would definitely have to agree with you on the point that Wentworth is very old. The average age of the buildings at Wentworth are about 60 years old. Beatty Hall is that giant ugly concrete building in the middle of campus built during the 70's brutalist trend. This is hated by pretty much everyone on campus, but it is being half renovated this summer. Most of the buildings are slated to be renovated within the next 10 to 15 years, according to their mater plan, but of course this is always subject to change. I really with the campus was as nice as say Northeastern, but it is what it is.

Wentworth is extremely technology oriented. The lenovo laptops they give the engineering students are the best of the best. The laptop I'm typing on right now is almost 2 years old, and has survived being thrown around in my backpack day in and day out for about that long. It is extremely helpful that everyone has the same software and laptops as there is little time spent troubleshooting problems that would otherwise come up with people purchasing their own laptops with their own operating systems.

The staff here at Wentworth is mostly great, and many really do love teaching their students. Of course, though, there are a bunch of bad eggs that can mostly be avoided by quickly checking ratemyprofessor.com.

Staff/professors at Wentworth generally have a "hands-off" attitude, as in they will not baby you at all and you have to figure out everything for yourself. This general attitude is a big turn off and is generally hated by the student population here. For instance, I have my first coop term coming up and I met with my career advisor to talk about getting a job. He was extremely unhelpful and pretty much I'm on my own for finding a job, but Wentworth will get the credit for when I do land a job. This can be extremely frustrating, but I suppose it forces you to learn how things would be out in the real world. With that said, the Wentworth name is highly regarded in the Boston area. The employer I just took a job with will only hire Northeastern and Wentworth students. Also, Wentworth has 2 mandatory coop terms EVERYONE must do. Having just this little bit of job experience under your belt will make you look leagues better than someone just out of college with no job experience. This is basically the main reason I came to Wentworth.

There is definitely a higher percentage of people who go home here than at any other college. The male to female ratio definitely doesn't help (70/30). Being a small school, everyone goes to the same parties, and again with the small female population, can get boring real quick.

Overall I'm please with Wentworth and am very happy with my choice. My main reason for coming here were the coop terms, which like I said before, will without a doubt give you a leg up over your peers when you graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Thanks to everyone for your gracious thoughts and opinions about Wentworth. After much thinking and researching, my son has decided not to attend Wentworth. He really wants to do a Network Security major, and while he was assured that it will be coming down the pike at WIT, he decided to attend a college where it is already a major and where new grads are being hired before graduation. As a parent with one unemployed College grad and a second one in grad school, I like the sound of that!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston