Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my girlfriend is going to Harvard and I am going to Brown in Providence this Sept. We're looking for a place that's near the commuter rail to Providence, I believe that means somewhere near the Ruggles or Hyde Park stations.

Any suggestions on areas near these stations that are better or worse to live in for a young couple? I've heard mixed reviews about Ruggles station and the Northeastern area, so I'm a bit concerned, but in my experience the supposedly "dangerous" areas of cities are really just "interesting".

Any tips/hints on areas we should concentrate on or avoid? Are Hyde Park and Ruggles really the only options for a Providence commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM

33 posts, read 101,422 times
You could look for something on the Orange Line in Jamaica Plain, like near Green Street or Stony Brook, where I used to live. Fairly safe there, just don't get too close to Jackson Square and the projects there. (Fine to travel through on the T, especially during normal hours, but don't go walking around Jackson Square at night.) Not particularly ideal for either of you but a reasonable compromise. You could take the Orange line to Ruggles easily, then commuter rail to Providence; she could take the Orange line to Downtown Crossing and transfer to the Red line going to Harvard.
I can't speak to the Hyde Park station; Ruggles is okay, not great but okay, itself, but depending on what direction you venture from the station it can definitely get, ahem, "interesting."

Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasS View Post
Hey all, my girlfriend is going to Harvard and I am going to Brown in Providence this Sept. We're looking for a place that's near the commuter rail to Providence, I believe that means somewhere near the Ruggles or Hyde Park stations.

Any suggestions on areas near these stations that are better or worse to live in for a young couple? I've heard mixed reviews about Ruggles station and the Northeastern area, so I'm a bit concerned, but in my experience the supposedly "dangerous" areas of cities are really just "interesting".

Any tips/hints on areas we should concentrate on or avoid? Are Hyde Park and Ruggles really the only options for a Providence commute?
As zaphod001 points out, you could look for anything along the Orange Line. That way, your girlfriend could transfer to the Red Line downtown and you could take the train from Ruggles. If you want to live close to Ruggles (one subway stop), there are really only two feasible options, Highland Park (preferable) and Parker (Mission) Hill (less preferable).

Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
How do you plan to get from the Providence rail station to Brown? Just to let you know, there are no buses that leave directly from the train station that go to Brown. It's about a 2 mile walk (depending where on campus you need to go), but it is uphill from the train station. And during bad weather, this wouldn't be fun.

If you want to take a bus, you will have to get yourself to Kennedy plaza and then take a bus from there. Again, during the nice weather, this is fine. Bad weather - even the walk from the train station to Kennedy will be unpleasant.

Of course, you could do taxi rides, but this could get pricy (not sure on the exact cost).

Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
How do you plan to get from the Providence rail station to Brown? Just to let you know, there are no buses that leave directly from the train station that go to Brown. It's about a 2 mile walk (depending where on campus you need to go), but it is uphill from the train station. And during bad weather, this wouldn't be fun.

If you want to take a bus, you will have to get yourself to Kennedy plaza and then take a bus from there. Again, during the nice weather, this is fine. Bad weather - even the walk from the train station to Kennedy will be unpleasant.

Of course, you could do taxi rides, but this could get pricy (not sure on the exact cost).
Those are all very good points. Add to that the "fun" of climbing either Angell or Waterman past RISD in icy weather. What all of this points up is the very real difference between a large city with ample public transport and a smaller one with sketchy public options, at best.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,572 times
you are going to want to drive to Prov. most likely, its not a bad drive 45 min, reverse commute.

If your girlfriend is attending Harvard, why not look somewhere around Quincy along the redline and you are already south of the city to prov.

the train is possible, but the pvd station to kennedy plaza to bus through the tunnel to brown is just asking for delays and schedule timing issues.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM

226 posts, read 588,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
If you want to live close to Ruggles (one subway stop), there are really only two feasible options, Highland Park (preferable) and Parker (Mission) Hill (less preferable).
Fenway is definitely another option. Quite close, quite safe, but the student factor varies from street to street. The part of Fenway on the north of the Fens is less student-y.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 AM

234 posts, read 629,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
you are going to want to drive to Prov. most likely, its not a bad drive 45 min, reverse commute.

If your girlfriend is attending Harvard, why not look somewhere around Quincy along the redline and you are already south of the city to prov.

the train is possible, but the pvd station to kennedy plaza to bus through the tunnel to brown is just asking for delays and schedule timing issues.
I think that's the best situation, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston