Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 PM

243 posts, read 773,949 times

Advertisements

Basically, what if the best place to live? I'm seeking affordable area, but relatively safe and commutable. I understand these two areas are relatively close to each other. Someone told me Northeastern area could be a little seedy, but I don't see how that can be.

Any info would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Fenway or Mission Hill, If in the hill stay closer to Brigham Circle. Boston and affordable don't really play nice, but scan craigslist, there are deals out there if you look.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM

93 posts, read 404,715 times
Default places to live

I used to live at 49 Worthington St in Mission Hill, literally across the street from the Longwood Medical area. It was about a 12 minute walk down Huntington Ave to Northeastern from there or 3 minute bus or subway ride. You can find them online by googling "John Coppola Real Estate." A small studio there's probably around $1050 monthly by now. Crime was not an issue on that street, so neighborhoods can quickly change from block-to-block.

If you start heading East from Northeastern, you quickly hit some low-income/high crime areas, so I agree that it's not the "safest" area in the world. Depending upon how old you are, you may want to avoid areas that are predominantly undergrads, as those could get rowdy too.

----------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
Basically, what if the best place to live? I'm seeking affordable area, but relatively safe and commutable. I understand these two areas are relatively close to each other. Someone told me Northeastern area could be a little seedy, but I don't see how that can be.

Any info would be helpful.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM

234 posts, read 628,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Fenway or Mission Hill, If in the hill stay closer to Brigham Circle. Boston and affordable don't really play nice, but scan craigslist, there are deals out there if you look.
Yup, that. Go Mets!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 AM

49 posts, read 158,359 times
I would recommend the Fenway area for being close to both Northeastern and Longwood Medical. Actually if you're working daily at Longwood Medical and attending classes few days a week at Northeastern, I might consider part of Brookline that's close to Longwood Medical. I generally recommend Brookline to everyone who's going to be at Longwood Medical.

Mission Hill is fine also, but make sure you go check out the apt and the area closely before you commit. You're talking about a very interesting part of Boston. The Brigham Circle is a pretty cool area, and the hill itself (which has New England Baptist at the top) feels a bit like being in San Francisco. But it's pretty crazy in terms of how quickly the surroundings change as you go from one block to the next.

Brigham Circle is a safe-looking area with students and medical people walking around. But as you walk literally 4min down Tremont, by the time you past St Alphonsus, you're suddenly already surrounded by 80% seedy people and low-income area. Then you're only a few minutes away from Roxbury Crossing.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:33 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
There's a lot of free rides between Longwood and NEU. LOngwood operates shuttles for free that will drop you off at Ruggles Station, the pru, or even take you to mgh for free. The Green Line is free from certain stops - forgot which. But Huntington Ave has 5 tranportation options Green Line, #39 bus, cabs, Longwood Shuttles or of course your feet. You sure won't need a car.

Living in the Fens and walking to Longwood is wonderful. I did it for many years. Great place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston