Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 20,148 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea about commute time from Wellesley to Longwood medical area by car, I assume via route 9? I would be leaving at around 7am and returning at around 5pm. Also any thoughts on possible public tranportation options would be great, ie commuter rail vs subway. Thanks very much.

Last edited by deerpark11; 07-12-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM

925 posts, read 2,741,603 times
It depends where at Longwood you want to go. If you're looking to get to Longwood Station, take the commuter rail trail from Wellesley to Back Bay, then walk out the door of Back Bay station, head to the right, and walk two blocks to the Green line. Take the D train to Longwood Station.

If you're looking to get to the Longwood Medical area, you still take the train into Back Bay, then take the E train to Longwood Medical Area Station.

You can also visit MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System and click on the "rider tools" tab for more commuting options.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 AM

93 posts, read 404,628 times
Default Wellesley to Longwood

Hi,
A doctor at Dana Farber, right next to Children's, who lives in Wellesley Hills, tells me that her commute on Rt 9 is normally 45 minutes each way, but shorter during the summer, since there's more people on vacation and less traffic then. Without traffic it's more like a 20-25 minute drive.

I doubt you could easily take the commuter rail for this commute, esp. as the commuter rail goes to downtown Boston but doesn't service the Longwood Medical Area.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
You could drive to and park at one of the outer "D" Green Line stations in Newton and take the train directly to the Longwood Stop. Parking is probably $6 or $7 a day plus the T fare. However, T parking tends to fill up fast at most spots so I don't know how early you'd need to get there to be assured a spot.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:59 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
You could drive to and park at one of the outer "D" Green Line stations in Newton and take the train directly to the Longwood Stop. Parking is probably $6 or $7 a day plus the T fare. However, T parking tends to fill up fast at most spots so I don't know how early you'd need to get there to be assured a spot.
You could also park for free most days on Beacon Street near the reservoir, just west of Cleveland Circle. There tends to be ample parking if you're willing to walk a bit. Turn right on Chestnut Hill Av. at Cleveland Circle and the Reservoir D Line Stop is right there across from the shuttered movie theatre. 4 stops to Longwood.

You can get there via Route 9 to Hammond St (not Hammond Pond Pkwy), just past the Chestnut Hill malls.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM

thank you for all the helpful replies.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
It depends where at Longwood you want to go. If you're looking to get to Longwood Station, take the commuter rail trail from Wellesley to Back Bay, then walk out the door of Back Bay station, head to the right, and walk two blocks to the Green line. Take the D train to Longwood Station.

If you're looking to get to the Longwood Medical area, you still take the train into Back Bay, then take the E train to Longwood Medical Area Station.

You can also visit MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System and click on the "rider tools" tab for more commuting options.
You could also get off at Yawkee station, and I know Dana Farber has a free shuttle leaving from there...

My gf commutes from West Newton to Longwood, I normally drop her off at the D line on my way into work, or she takes the commuter rail to Yawkee.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
You could also get off at Yawkee station, and I know Dana Farber has a free shuttle leaving from there...

My gf commutes from West Newton to Longwood, I normally drop her off at the D line on my way into work, or she takes the commuter rail to Yawkee.
Yawkey with a "y."

If you try this, check the schedule carefully b/c the train does not always stop at that station. If the schedule works for you it's a very good option.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks again. This is very helpful. Does anybody know whether you can take a bike on the commuter train?
Also, do you know whether there is convenient bike parking at the train station in Wellesley? same question for the green line station in West Newton?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Here's a link to the transit website's page about carrying on bicycles: MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T. Looks as if it's allowed only during off-peak times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston