Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

I see that this is a popular forum topic but I am looking for new opinions and ideas about where to look to buy a house (to settle down for the long term and raise a family) in the directions west or south of Boston.

We are relocating from NYC to Massachusetts in September 2011 and will be living at first in the South Shore-ish town of Hanson while we search for a house to buy. Our housing budget is $350k (max!). What we want is very predictable: a single family home (no less than 3br/2ba) with a yard (0.5 - 1.5 acre(s)), good schools, and a reasonable commute to Newton. Public education is probably our top priority but searches for well-performing schools have left us feeling discouraged because clearly we cannot afford to buy a house in any of the better school districts. I'm left wondering if what we want even exists?!

Thank you in advance for helpful input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Well, you are NOT going to enjoy the commute from Hanson to Newton if you have to do it daily.

I'd look more in the southwest direction, Walpole area, possibly Millis.

Of course if you don't mind the turnpike tolls, you could look farther out in metrowest.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
With a budget of only $350K, the need to commute to Newton and a desire for good public schools, I would focus on towns like:

Shrewbury
Bellingham
Plainville

Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,964 times
Well, it's all relative. According the the Dept of Education Massachusetts has some of the best public schools in the country so though you may not be able to afford Newton or Wellesley, there are plenty of other communities to pick from where your children can get a good education.

I agree with Casey that south would be a good place to start. I'd start with Millis or Dedham. A bit west you could do Holliston - very nice town, award-winning schools, lots of parks & trails, cute town center, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 PM

234 posts, read 629,006 times
Definitely don't live on the south shore. I commuted to Newton from here for two years and it is not fun at all. Many people I worked with lived in Dedham and there seems to be a bit inventory under $350 or just above that you could probably get for $350 or less. Personally I wouldn't want to go too much farther from the city, but you might feel differently. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston