Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the only places in Boston you can can legit Southern BBQ is in the ghetto neighborhoods. As it's been said Redbones is NOT BBQ! I've Lived in the South and outside the hood, it's all crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
I'll pile on with the anti-Redbones crowd. What you'll get there is an ample serving of attitude, but nothing very authentic food-wise. It's not necessarily a bad place to go, just not the authentic BBQ most people think it is.

Following on that theme, there are quite a few decent places in the category of enjoyable but not truly hitting the mark:

Blue Ribbon (Newton)
Village Smokehouse (Brookline)
BBQ Town (Roslindale)

All three tend toward the Carolina side of things and do a passable job, and in the case of BBQ Town, the greens are really fantastic. Aside from that, there are some good soul food places, agree completely on Mrs. Jones, and Chef Lee isn't bad, either. I used to enjoy cajun food at Dixie Kitchen, but regrettably they have closed.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,835,891 times
OMG somebody else remembers Dixie Kitchen! I must've hit that place >100 times during their years in business. They had fried alligator tail (in pieces, to be sure) on the menu, and I can attest that it does taste like chicken. The owner, Mary Gauthier ("that's goo-shay, y'all") has gigs at Passim on occasion. Dunno what her day job is now.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
OMG somebody else remembers Dixie Kitchen! I must've hit that place >100 times during their years in business. They had fried alligator tail (in pieces, to be sure) on the menu, and I can attest that it does taste like chicken. The owner, Mary Gauthier ("that's goo-shay, y'all") has gigs at Passim on occasion. Dunno what her day job is now.
It was a tremendous loss. My favorite was the grillades and the fried okra was a great appetizer. As often as I ate there, we must-must have been in the same room on more than one occasion.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
BBQ in Boston is like NE Clam Chowder in TX. LOL

Old 09-11-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
I think that thenewtexan has a good point. New England in general is not known for excellent BBQ, or any of the staples generally associated with the "south". However, there are some good places here and there. If you're going to be going out and getting some BBQ, you can request a deal at any restaurant in the Boston are at [url=http://myvici.com]myVici.com[/url]. There's a search tool that let's you find restaurants, and you can search by keyword. So, if you're trying to find BBQ specifically, but you don't know any good places...you could try typing in "good barbeque in boston" and you'd get a list of results...select one, and you can request a deal there.

Pretty cool in my opinion...not only find a place you might want to eat at...but also request a bargain price at that place. So check it out: [url=http://myvici.com]myVici.com[/url]

This is my first post, and although it may sound like I'm selling this...I just thought it seemed useful and fit the post.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Drive to Sturbridge and visit BT's Smokehouse...now that's some good stuff!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Interesting, I was thinking that Dorchester, Roxbury, Cambridge and maybe communities like Lynn, Somerville or Everett would have something.

BTW- If you guys ever come to Syracuse, try Dinosaur BBQ.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM

ckh....i LOVE dinosaurs!!

i *think* there is a good soul food place in dorchester, but i can't remember the name. i'll see if i can find it.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Yup, try Mrs. Jones in Dorchester. I've never been but it gets great reviews.

2255 Dorchester Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston