Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:30 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,928,139 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I live on Commonwealth ave. near the Newton/Brighton town line and I know its easier for me to take the T to South Station, but I wonder what the drive is like?

Is there public parking that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I really don't like taking the subway during peak hours, and thats when I will need to go down there.

Are there any buses that go to South Station, or that I can connect to get down there? I don't mind taking the train above ground during peak hours, but I just get really stressed out below ground in the subway during those hours.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,436,096 times
From your area the pike would be the fastest, unless it's in the morning. Parking is terrible, not a lot of it on that side, and what is there is overpriced. I don't remember the route number but I know there's an express bus that goes at least as far as Oak Square.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,928,139 times
thanks for the input! I keep hearing nightmarish driving stories, so I'm hoping to avoid that

are there lots or garages or is it all street parking?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:49 PM

332 posts, read 1,021,189 times
why dont you like taking the subway in peak hours vs the el?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,503,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
thanks for the input! I keep hearing nightmarish driving stories, so I'm hoping to avoid that

are there lots or garages or is it all street parking?
There's no street parking down there Pear. People by the thousands park their cars in giant garages way out of town and ride the subway in just for that reason. Downtown has no rush hour, it has crush hour. Getting in or out varies greatly - sometime no prob, often you'll get snarled in inescapable traffic jams. Some jams back people up in the actual parking garages for so long they choke on the exhaust.

Parking is rarely less than 25$ per day often $40.

Here's a map link:

parking - Google Maps

OBTW, I didn't really spell this out, but that commute around crush hour is just likely to generally suck. For 15 years I almost never drove at that hour, and I lived down off Mass Ave and it still took a lot of time to cross that little area. BTW, the very worst of the worst driving in Boston is right on that path you're talking about in Allston.

Last edited by xS☺B☺s; 11-13-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 AM

116 posts, read 320,804 times
How far are you from the nearest stop on the Framingham/Worcester line that goes into SS?

Storrow Drive to SS is another driving option.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,898,080 times
Your best bet is to not drive. Why do you need to go to South Station? Is it for a train? Or is that your final destination? If you are wanting to get on Amtrak, for example, you could drive to Route 128 station which has a parking garage, and board the train there. If it really is South Station you need to be at, I'd advise either a commuter rail train in, or going to Brighton Center and taking the 503 express bus which runs from Brighton Center to Newton Corner, then takes the Pike into town.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,503,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
If it really is South Station you need to be at, I'd advise ... going to Brighton Center and taking the 503 express bus which runs from Brighton Center to Newton Corner, then takes the Pike into town.
Good suggestion Henry. Pear, check that out, it might be the option you're looking for.

MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System

Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,325,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
From your area the pike would be the fastest, unless it's in the morning. Parking is terrible, not a lot of it on that side, and what is there is overpriced. I don't remember the route number but I know there's an express bus that goes at least as far as Oak Square.
The express bus doesn't go that near to the BC gates. If you're up to walking up Lake St to Washington St you can get it there (it's the 501, the 503 goes from Brighton Center to Copley). The bus actually goes westbound from Brighton Center and takes the Pike at Exit 17 in Newton Corner. It doesn't go to South Station exactly, more like Post Office Square. I think it stops at Beach St sometimes as well. It's a pretty quick ride. It may take you longer to walk up to Washington St than to ride the bus in.

If you lived out near where I live, Newtonville, you could take commuter rail to South Station. It's a 20 minute ride. You could drive over here; there's metered parking and some side streets allow parking. No MBTA connection from where you live to here though. If you do this, be sure to check the schedule carefully. Some trains skip the Newtonville station.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,325,110 times
I would add that, if you want to drive, you can take side streets up to Exit 17 if you do want to drive, and the Pike commute from there is not all that bad in terms of traffic. The best parking, in terms of cost, is across the Fort Point channel. There are a bunch of lots for about $11/day. Not super-cheap but a lot less than the garages in the heart of downtown everyone's been referencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston