Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 10:52 PM

63 posts, read 116,370 times

Advertisements

I'm from Milwaukee so I don't know much about Boston. What I've figured out so far is that Southie is not and never was a bad neighborhood , despite what countless movies portray it as. Too many people from Southie have dispelled that myth in other forums.

So my question is this...... I think the reason Southie intrigues people in the midwest is because I think people are intrigued by the thought of a dangerous neighborhood that is mostly white. Cuz in the midwest we don't have those. We have bad neighborhoods that are mixed with white and black or bad neighborhoods that are a mix of all races........ But to find a dangerous neighborhood that's mostly white is a laughable thought in the midwest anyway.

So....... Does Boston really have any bad white neighborhoods or is that all just hollywood hype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Southie was an extremely rough neighborhood going back 30-40 years. In fact I believe it had the highest murder rate in the city for some time. Certainly a white ghetto. Generally what the movies portray is true, just not true of Southie today. Pick up All Souls by Michael MacDonald. It's a story about a family growing up in the Southie projects. A good read.

Other rough, predomiantly white, neighborhoods in Boston would be Charlestown, East Boston and Dorchester. But again you really have to look back 30-40 years.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Southie was an extremely rough neighborhood going back 30-40 years. In fact I believe it had the highest murder rate in the city for some time. Certainly a white ghetto. Generally what the movies portray is true, just not true of Southie today. Pick up All Souls by Michael MacDonald. It's a story about a family growing up in the Southie projects. A good read.

Other rough, predomiantly white, neighborhoods in Boston would be Charlestown, East Boston and Dorchester. But again you really have to look back 30-40 years.
I had no previous interest in this subject, but the book sounds interesting. I just ordered myself a copy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 AM

95 posts, read 201,669 times
I, too, read Michael McDonald's book years ago and it was a fascinating glimpse into his world. Highly recommend.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
The book "Common Ground" includes an exhaustive portrayal of Charlestown, a famously bad white neighborhood. As with South Boston, much change for the better in the past 30 years but still a few low-lifes around. I especially enjoyed the account of car theft hijinks in C'town in the 1930s. Amazing.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 PM

63 posts, read 116,370 times
So there are no rough white neighborhoods in boston today?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM

188 posts, read 497,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinchrist View Post
So there are no rough white neighborhoods in boston today?
I wouldnt say yes or no to this question. Basically what u have to remember is this is the city. There have been people stabbed in Back Bay and robbed in the Fenway area, I live in newton which is supposed to be safe but weve had a lot of break ins and vandalism that doesnt always make the news. I would not walk alone at night in ANY neighborhood. A woman was assaulted in the South End during the DAY while walking down the street. So today crime happens anywhere. I would say south boston seems exaggeratted in the movies, today it doesnt feel like what they portray in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston