Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,545 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I lived in Boston for about 8 years. Had a great place right in the city and then was transferred to VA for work. 7 years later I'm transferring back to Boston and trying to figure out where would be the best place to live.

I'm 33, single, and like to socialize. I have a car but would be looking to commute into downtown via the commuter rail or the "T". I'm looking for a pet-friendly rental, updated 2 bedroom, off street parking spot, with some sort of outdoor space like a deck or little yard, within walking distance to shops/restaurants and the train, for less than 1500/month.

Any suggestion on safe neighborhoods/towns to check out? I've looked on Craigslist and see there are some potential condos for rent in Framingham that fit my needs but I'm not sure about the "walkability" of the area.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 12,414 times
I had lived in Boston from 2002-2009, and then had moved to NYC. I just moved back to Boston about 4 months ago and landed back in my old neighborhood in the South End. Forget Framingham, you need to move back to town. The South End is still beautiful (although some areas you need to be careful of). I am actually launching my new startup shortly which will help people like "us" who are want the truth and real information on what its like to live in a particular area.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Not sure if "pet-friendly" $1500/month/outdoor space/near transit adds up. This area is very hard on pet people, sorry to say. But I agree that Framingham would be quite a ways out of Boston/Cambridge. Is the job right in downtown Boston? If you wanted to stay in town to socialize after work, you'd be leaving the dog alone too long (is it a dog? Cats might be easier).

Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,545 times
Hi there and thank you both for your input. I have two well-behaved cats and they do pretty well keeping each other company while I'm at work. Ive been looking on craigslist and see some options in Brighton and Allston. My job would be right in government center so being able to take the train is a must for me. Ive also heard mission hill is a good option. Justnot sure how to narrow down my search to the best neighborhoods

Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM

504 posts, read 616,602 times
You can find some small one bedroom apartments in Quincy, the South End is a good area to look into, and the North End is a good area and is a little cheaper than the rest of Boston. Parking is an issue in the Boston area so the farther from the city the easier a time you will have finding parking for your car.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Mission Hill is no place for a single person/female. Not as tough a neighborhood as it used to be but still rough. (I worked two buildings up from Huntington Ave. in 1992 and heard gunfire at night and drunken frat parties across the street. We used to make it a point not to sit at a window with a light on (worked nights) and were glad to be in a brick building.
Brighton has some not-overly-student areas, out near Oak Square and towards Newton. Closer into town, along the green line, is wall-to-wall students and no parking. Allston, same thing, although I am hard-pressed to think of any part of Allston that someone would want to live in (unless you're well under 25 and drink, and never want to park your car. Also know that your car insurance cost is based on neighborhood stats, and Allston is one of the highest, as are most Boston neighborhoods (Mission Hill among them).
I agree with the poster who suggested Quincy, on the red line. Best wishes.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
Old thread, but I did a Google search as I am preparing to move back myself. I grew up in Boston lived a couple years in S. Florida when younger then fell victim to the grass is greener syndrome as I had to work in SD and fell in love. A the same time I was just coming into my own and had a FANTASTIC life forming in Boston and was somewhat reluctant to move but think everyone should do it once. It was all the wrong reasons that held me to CA, sure it's perfect weather but I've learned the hard way that weather does not make your life, I've never met so many absolutely lost, bored, depressed people as I have here, a land of perpetual sunshine. Ask anyone and all they can say is "the weather is perfect..".
I've been trying to make it work here and ignoring what this overwhelming feeling of being bored, it would blow my mind when on a date and a girl and she would tell me she wants out of SD, how could anyone want to leave paradise. Once I started getting to root of my feelings, I get it. I'm sure this is a great spot for many, but not me. Especially single, being a man, I see way more beautiful women here than Boston, however I actually do better with more in Boston, fewer are single here, or stay here or are worth talking to for more than 5 minutes. If my friends and I aren't out drinking, it feels as if there is nothing else to do.
I went back to Boston for nearly a month in Nov and it made perfect sense, its much easier to focus on a balanced life and to have my life be more about people in it. There are plenty of flaws but its a better job market, higher paying, great history and the downs of the winter really keep things in perspective as opposed to out here where it's like being a spoiled child expecting better and there never really is. I look forward to my move back, and go Patriots!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
I agree with you completely! I live in South Florida and spend ALOT of time in California but neither place seems like home and it is boring and depressing although its "supposed" to be paradise. I've never lived in Boston (lived in Wisconsin most of my life) but have always wanted to move there. I am planning to make the big leap in the next few months... any suggestions for a professional girl in her late 20s who loves to socialize, walk instead of drive but also have a little more space for my 2 dachshunds? Not sure about the job yet- I mostly work from home so it most likely won't be an issue. I have only visited Boston, but am in love with it. I would prefer not to live in a "college" area but close so I can thrive in the energy without it consuming me Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM

605 posts, read 1,166,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolynn.srq View Post
I agree with you completely! I live in South Florida and spend ALOT of time in California but neither place seems like home and it is boring and depressing although its "supposed" to be paradise. I've never lived in Boston (lived in Wisconsin most of my life) but have always wanted to move there. I am planning to make the big leap in the next few months... any suggestions for a professional girl in her late 20s who loves to socialize, walk instead of drive but also have a little more space for my 2 dachshunds? Not sure about the job yet- I mostly work from home so it most likely won't be an issue. I have only visited Boston, but am in love with it. I would prefer not to live in a "college" area but close so I can thrive in the energy without it consuming me Thanks!
Suggestions on places to live? I'll round off some of the usual suspects that could fit what you're looking for (price may vary ):

Somerville - Improving every day. Just read an article in the Atlantic Cities the other day about Mayor Curatone wanting to turn Somerville into the world's ultimate urban experience. I have a lot of friends (I'm early 20s) who live there. It's come along way from the ghetto it was when my family still lived there. Public transportation improvements are coming soon but not there yet. I have a feeling in a few years it will be much more expensive then it is now, it's still not bad for prices so check it out if you can. It's very dense though, you're in the city if you don't mind.
the South End - Very urban, still "hip" and fun, there are affordable places but not so many. But it's definitely the heart of the city unless you have millions for a place in Back Bay.
Dorchester - Ashmont, Lower Mills areas.
Roslindale - Rozzie Square area is going to be up and coming, already sorta is.
Quincy - Lots to do, close to the beach, quick transportation into Boston.
Malden - Near the fells, also good transport to Boston.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 AM

53 posts, read 95,243 times
I would look into either Somerville or Quincy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston