Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 11,157 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice around a landlord situation I'm encountering. The gist of it is that I have a lease that expires on 06/30, but I'm moving most of my stuff over to the new place now. Moving a bit earlier is better on my work schedule and it will give back my sanity as brokers are calling to show the place daily. Showing a mostly empty apartment versus an occupied one, with a dog present is a win win for both parties, in my opinion.

Now that my landlord knows I'm in the process of moving my things, he is looking to get easier access to the unit to do some renovations. From the initial phone call, it sounds like he just wants to go in and out whenever he wants without the normal notification process, after I give the go ahead.

Do you think it is reasonable to try to work out some kind of agreement around refunding part of my last month's rent, in return for full access of the apartment? I've already paid for June and will still have s few things in the apartment. My name is also still on the electric bill, so the thought of contractors plugging in floor sanders and me fronting the cost for the electricity seems unfair.

I've been a good tenant and never missed a rent payment, so I'm hoping he will see this as just the cost of doing business. If he were to say no, could I tell him I don't want him doing renovations while my lease is still in effect? I feel like he would push back as he has the right to ask for entry to do repairs etc... I'm also wonder how this could affect my security deposit...

Anyone else deal with this kind of situation? If so, how did you approach the situation?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Because the rental market is so tight, landlords often do this--start a new lease as soon as the old one ends without giving themselves time to freshen up the apartment. Sounds like that is what he is doing.

You can just say no, that you don't want people coming in and out of the apartment that is still in your name until your lease is up. Renovations are different from repairs; you are not obligated to open your doors to painters, sanders, etc. And you certainly shouldn't pay for the electricity for them to do work that doesn't benefit your living situation. This is really more of a "situation" for the landlord, not you--the law is on your side.

If you can leave early, ask to get half of June's rent refunded to you and move out by the 15th.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 PM

90 posts, read 178,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You can just say no, that you don't want people coming in and out of the apartment that is still in your name until your lease is up. Renovations are different from repairs; you are not obligated to open your doors to painters, sanders, etc. And you certainly shouldn't pay for the electricity for them to do work that doesn't benefit your living situation. This is really more of a "situation" for the landlord, not you--the law is on your side.

If you can leave early, ask to get half of June's rent refunded to you and move out by the 15th.
^+1
totally agree, sounds like a good plan.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,493 times
Question Just move on, who cares your not there and you already agreed to it

You appear to be facilating on what you want or agreed to. You should of told the landlord of what you want and expect first. Landlord could still keep part or all of security deposit if you damaged anything before you leave date. If you are still paying full rent and you allow him to go in and out whenever he wants then hey you agreed. Landlord and brokers can't show apartment daily if you live there. It has to be a reasonable scheduled time. But in this case you cleared out early, and told the landlord so, with no request for any money. You don't really care about it apparently because you aren't even there. So I guess it is a win for you because its better for your schedule. As long as you get your deposit back, assuming you did not damage anything and are liable. If you wanted to get compensation then you should of asked for it before and planned it better. Kind of late now can't blame the landlord for taking initiative so he can rent it out faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebe1337 View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice around a landlord situation I'm encountering. The gist of it is that I have a lease that expires on 06/30, but I'm moving most of my stuff over to the new place now. Moving a bit earlier is better on my work schedule and it will give back my sanity as brokers are calling to show the place daily. Showing a mostly empty apartment versus an occupied one, with a dog present is a win win for both parties, in my opinion.

Now that my landlord knows I'm in the process of moving my things, he is looking to get easier access to the unit to do some renovations. From the initial phone call, it sounds like he just wants to go in and out whenever he wants without the normal notification process, after I give the go ahead.

Do you think it is reasonable to try to work out some kind of agreement around refunding part of my last month's rent, in return for full access of the apartment? I've already paid for June and will still have s few things in the apartment. My name is also still on the electric bill, so the thought of contractors plugging in floor sanders and me fronting the cost for the electricity seems unfair.

I've been a good tenant and never missed a rent payment, so I'm hoping he will see this as just the cost of doing business. If he were to say no, could I tell him I don't want him doing renovations while my lease is still in effect? I feel like he would push back as he has the right to ask for entry to do repairs etc... I'm also wonder how this could affect my security deposit...

Anyone else deal with this kind of situation? If so, how did you approach the situation?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,037,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Because the rental market is so tight, landlords often do this--start a new lease as soon as the old one ends without giving themselves time to freshen up the apartment. Sounds like that is what he is doing.

This sounds like a pretty reasonable solution to me.

One thing I would add is that if you do have workers coming in & out while your name is on the lease and they damage something the landlord may hold you liable and not refund your security deposit. The problem is that it would be very hard to prove the damage was done by a workman and not you.

If you can move out early, I would do so and I would negotiate a partial refund from the landlord for the days you're not living there. I would also want it in WRITING that he is releasing you from the lease early and I would want my security deposit returned on the spot. You're really doing him a favor in a way so he might be agreeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston