Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times

Advertisements

I've been confused about this for a very long time. I couldn't find any answers when I tried to research it. I wanted to know specifically, what towns in Boston actually use the "Boston" address? For example, if I were to live in Dorchester. When I mail something out or when someone mails me something, would they put down my address and list "Boston, MA" as the city, or would they put down "Dorchester, MA"? This is something I am having a hard time figuring out. What towns use Boston as their adresses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,712 times
You could use Boston, MA for any of these:

Allston
Brighton
Charlestown
Dorchester
East Boston
Hyde Park
Jamaica Plain
Mattapan
Roslindale
Roxbury
South Boston
South End
West End
West Roxbury

All of these are considered boston, BUT, I'd rather just put the town names when mailing, for ease of mind to myself. But, if the ZIP is correct, it'll get there.

Heres a good link to show what is considered boston
http://www.cityofboston.gov/neighborhoods/

Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
My understanding is that the US Postal Service officially considers anything within city limits "Boston, MA" and lists zip codes such as 02125 as "Boston." Locally the tradition is to use the neighborhood name for the parts of the modern city of Boston that once were outside city limits but were annexed, generally by the 1870's or 1880's. If you mail something to "JP, Mass. 02130" it will get there. The postal workers know the drill, they live here too.

My view of the world is as follows:

Boston Proper (Boston mailing address):

North End
West End
Beacon Hill
Downtown Boston
Chinatown
Back Bay
South End
Kenmore/Fenway

Use the name of the neighborhood:

Allston
Brighton
Charlestown
East Boston
South Boston
Dorchester
Roxbury
Jamaica Plain
Roslindale
West Roxbury
Mattapan
Hyde Park

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 54,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
My understanding is that the US Postal Service officially considers anything within city limits "Boston, MA" and lists zip codes such as 02125 as "Boston."
That's not exactly true. Go to USPS - ZIP Code Lookup - Find All Cities in a ZIP Code and punch in some zip codes. If you put in 02315:

Actual City name in 02135
BRIGHTON, MA

Acceptable City names in 02135
BOSTON, MA

So yes, it is acceptable to call it boston, but the post office officially considers it to be "Brighton."

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1982 View Post
That's not exactly true. Go to USPS - ZIP Code Lookup - Find All Cities in a ZIP Code and punch in some zip codes. If you put in 02315:

Actual City name in 02135
BRIGHTON, MA

Acceptable City names in 02135
BOSTON, MA

So yes, it is acceptable to call it boston, but the post office officially considers it to be "Brighton."
Interesting. Seems it's the same as Brighton for JP, Roslindale, Mattapan and Charlestown. But for South Boston, East Boston and most of Dorchester they have "BOSTON, MA" as the "Actual City name" and the other as an "Acceptable City name."

Bizarre.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks you guys. But that's what I was saying. It's confusing because you don't know if you should put the town or Boston as the city. I would prefer to use Boston just to make everything simple and easy for me. And it sounds better too. I mean just think, if you were to be looking for a professional business job and your adress says "Mattapan" or "Roxbury". What are they going to think?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I mean just think, if you were to be looking for a professional business job and your adress says "Mattapan" or "Roxbury". What are they going to think?
I don't think it would make that much difference. A lot of different people live in both. Tom Finneran lives (or lived) in Mattapan, so they might think you're a shady politician?

This may just be me, but if someone clearly lived in Mattapan (or South Boston) and put "Boston" on a resume I'd think that person was trying to be a little too cute or fake.

I remember Chris Nilan's family was said to give him grief because his Topps hockey card said "Boston, Mass." when he was from West Roxbury by way of Southie.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I don't think it would make that much difference. A lot of different people live in both. Tom Finneran lives (or lived) in Mattapan, so they might think you're a shady politician?

This may just be me, but if someone clearly lived in Mattapan (or South Boston) and put "Boston" on a resume I'd think that person was trying to be a little too cute or fake.

I remember Chris Nilan's family was said to give him grief because his Topps hockey card said "Boston, Mass." when he was from West Roxbury by way of Southie.
Right. I agree but I was under the impression Mattapan and Roxbury are heavily crime ridden cities within the Boston Metro? So by putting that down on paper, how would employers take that? Jobs are hard to come by and everything seems to count these days. Imagine there are 2 people qualified for a specific job position in Boston with the same creditionals. One from Lynn and one from Mattapan. Based on what I have seen and what life has shown me, chances are 8/10 they would pick the one from Lynn. So I don't know. I'm young. I'm not really experienced in this. I'm just speculating.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Right. I agree but I was under the impression Mattapan and Roxbury are heavily crime ridden cities within the Boston Metro? So by putting that down on paper, how would employers take that? Jobs are hard to come by and everything seems to count these days. Imagine there are 2 people qualified for a specific job position in Boston with the same creditionals. One from Lynn and one from Mattapan. Based on what I have seen and what life has shown me, chances are 8/10 they would pick the one from Lynn. So I don't know. I'm young. I'm not really experienced in this. I'm just speculating.
I don't know, you may be right though it would be sad. Lynn may not be the best example since it's got a rep as crime-ridden as well. "Lynn, Lynn, city of sin..."

I wonder if you really can get around that by putting "Boston" when the ZIP and street address may make clear it's, say, Mattapan.

I tend to think the rest of the resume will be much more important than the neighborhood you live in. It's rare two candidates will really have "the same" credentials in every way.

Good luck with it.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 224,200 times
I have a PO Box in Mattapan and routinely put Boston. To my knowledge I've had no issues with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston