Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate28 View Post
So what defines "good" food.... is it just a little snobbery?
Cuisine I can't make myself of equal taste and quality for less money. Since it's almost impossible to make resturant food cheaper than home cooking, that means I want the chef to have some unique skill and/or present dishes that I would never imagine making.

Of course, if you're just eating out for social interaction aspect, then food quality isn't so important. However, in that case, why not just visit a coffee shop or a cafe for desert and save yourself some money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I heard from a tourist years ago, not impressed with a meal (or two?) in the North End, who barked, "Gee, I get better Italian food back in St. Louis!" Well, I hear that city does have a good Italian section, so not the insult it could be.

But as others here have warned, don't necessarily expect your best Italian meal in our North End. I guess the entire experience of the area is what people descend there for.

And as someone else said, "Rino's Place in Eastie is very good. It's just the neighborhood doesn't feel festive like the North End, so that would disappoint some people?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
SF diverse? Based on what? SF was diverse say in the 60's and 70's but not today. Now it's mostly white and asian with some Hispanics. Most of the AA community has moved out of SF since 1980. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Demographics Diversity cannot be emphasized by food alone as that would be like saying that Epcot at Disney World is a symbol of diversity (it's all corporate run). In addition I cannot think of any city in the US that has gentrified as much as SF post WW 2. At least when NYC did it, it did not lose its soul. It also has a poor public transit system (not to say that the MBTA is fantastic but it does run), higher unemployment on average than Boston (early 90's onward) and prop 13 pretty much created artificial scarcity that drove up housing prices across the state.

There's also really no good pizza in most of CA. I'll put up nearly any pizza place from Boston/NYC and I'll lump in Chicago pretty much no place in CA come close to them.

I am surprised that no one brought up the concept of the whole "traditional" vs "Americanized" differences. There's a huge difference with Chinese food and there have been current debates about Italian food

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
I was at Rosa Mexicano on Valentine's Day and really enjoyed it. I would recommend it.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 AM

55 posts, read 203,568 times
Pizza, chinese, sushi, asian hot pot, new england clambake quite good and cheaper or comparatively priced here in Boston. Mexican, yakitori, any and all food truck here are obscenely overpriced crap...best stay away.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
Pizza, chinese, sushi, asian hot pot, new england clambake quite good and cheaper or comparatively priced here in Boston. Mexican, yakitori, any and all food truck here are obscenely overpriced crap...best stay away.
If you crave Mexican and you're a bit west, there is a wonderful hole-in-the-wall place in Maynard. It's just as good as places I frequented in Los Angeles growing up (just much cleaner).

Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM

55 posts, read 203,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
If you crave Mexican and you're a bit west, there is a wonderful hole-in-the-wall place in Maynard. It's just as good as places I frequented in Los Angeles growing up (just much cleaner).
Thank you and will try.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Have you guys ever tried Tu Y Yo. There are locations in Sommerville and Needham. Really great Mexican (not Southwestern or TexMex) food.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 35,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Why live in Boston when you can live in San Francisco if you can afford it?
Ouch....tell us how you really feel! I have gone to San Fran many times and agree the freshness of the veggies is what really hits me. But it also depends on what you value for eating out.

Sad that you aren't opening yourself up to what Boston has to offer with statements that generalize, but like they say you can't please everyone all of the time. Hope in the time you are here you can appreciate what Boston has to offer. Maybe look on zagat, or yelp for specific restaurant type reviews...even open table has reviews.

I'm just hoping you will change your mind.....oh and a tip....Boston people do not like when you bash Boston. It's like saying you prefer the yankees over the red sox.....you will NOT make any friends.

Good luck...and watch your back

Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Sure, food is fresher in Cali, they have a year round growing season and lots of space to plant. Wine is better too. Hell, they grow it right there. Yeah and SF has better. Of the top places to live in the USA, SF often rates 1st or second, Boston tends to land at third or fourth. So yeah, SF tends to edge out Bostonian in most categories. So you wonder why the entire population of B doesn't pack and head to SF. Like its Nirvana?

Well first, being in the third best place to live might be satisfactory to many. Maybe it's good enough.

Of course people have roots and ties. Not gonna leave the whole family to dine in a five star restaurant rather than a 4.5.

Also, some folks might think their 500k condo near the Common has enough Menties that they don't need to live in a 900k place in SF for slightly better weather.

Also a major different is East Coasters kinda feel like Chicago is the end of civilization and the rest is the Wild West. SF is kinda like isolated. Yeah head to head you edge out Btown slightly, but once you've seen all the sights what do you? Go to Stockton? Portland? Bostonians have NYC and all the amenities right down the streets. Day trips to Central Park one a 15 dollar bus is common. Philly MTL DC TNTO r all within easy reach. Even CHI and MIA. And we're a heroica lot closer to Europe.

So yeah. Comparing metro SF singularly to metro B, you got an edge. But comparing the northeast to the Bay Area, well it still looks like a frontier town to us. That's very clear me having moved from BOS to DFW. Sure DFW is slightly bigger than BOS, but once yer 50 miles out that's it. Same with SF? Aren't you all lonely up in that isolated little town?

Bostonians like Boston because its modest but it's enough. If we wanted more we sure wouldn't go SF. We'd go to NY. in fact, BOS is NYC - just the quiet northeastern corner.

The old saying goes " we don't hafta go Anywhere. We're already here."

Apologies for typos. I'm using my iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston