Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM

125 posts, read 195,071 times

Advertisements

Spent the majority of the last 4 days in and around Boston with my wife. We were first timers to this city and I can promise you we will be back many times in the near future. The city is so clean and there is so much to do it's a pleasure walking and touring around all the different sections. Being a Canadian whose forgotten most of my high school history I listened to every word my tour drivers said and it slowly came back to me. It's crazy how much history there is in just one city, our next trip we will be getting off the bus to investigate further. Thanks to Bostonguy1960 for his information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the compliments for our city Canadian GP. Funny that I never consider Boston to be that clean although it has gotten cleaner than the 80's and 90's. Honestly, I think that Toronto is a cleaner city than Boston but I guess that's just me.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Boston really is one of the best walking cities in the USA. A small "big city". Boston looks a lot better than it did back in the 70s & 80s for sure. Once the seaport area is built out the city is really going to expand in a positive way.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I have walked from one end of Boston to the other over many years of living in Mass. It is a very walkable city. I have to say I kind of laughed, because I honestly never found it to be all that clean. I do agree with urban peasant though, it has gotten somewhat cleaner than in previous years. I have found Toronto and Canada itself, to be much cleaner than US cities.

Yes there definitely is a lot of history associated with Boston as well as much of New England. Its a special place in this country, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Yes do come back and see the rest of the region. Just be careful driving. The local reputation for bad drivers is quite accurate.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
The city is so clean and there is so much to do it's a pleasure walking and touring around all the different sections.
I agree. I love walking around here. Totalled 16 miles of walking just this weekend! I do also agree that this place is clean, in general. I've definitely been to way dirtier cities.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
It's quite clean in back bay downtown etc on most days. South end is really nasty on its bad days, and South Bay and much of Seaport is always disgusting. But the tourist section on Boston tends to be pretty decent.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
The Seaport? ie the BCEC, Liberty Wharf, Park Lane, Louis ect? Although still a bit barren, it's the newest, cleanest neighborhood in the city.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian GP View Post
Spent the majority of the last 4 days in and around Boston with my wife. We were first timers to this city and I can promise you we will be back many times in the near future. The city is so clean and there is so much to do it's a pleasure walking and touring around all the different sections. Being a Canadian whose forgotten most of my high school history I listened to every word my tour drivers said and it slowly came back to me. It's crazy how much history there is in just one city, our next trip we will be getting off the bus to investigate further. Thanks to Bostonguy1960 for his information.
I'm assuming that you've been to Montreal, right?

I lived near Boston (2011-2012) and I found it to be so much like home (Montreal). If you've been to Montreal, did you think that too?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm assuming that you've been to Montreal, right?

I lived near Boston (2011-2012) and I found it to be so much like home (Montreal). If you've been to Montreal, did you think that too?
I SO very much agree, I wasn't sure if my memory was skewed or if I really did remember it as I thought I did. In particular, Old Montreal, around the Rue St. Catherine. I remember a cobblestone courtyard with a bunch of shops surrounding it, and a pub we went into, to listen to some bawdy French-Canadian music. I had no idea what they were singing, but it was obvious it was hillarious so I laughed right along with the rest of the crowd

My summer in and around Montreal reminded me of when I was new to Boston and not yet a resident, and everything was just SO much fun, and entertaining, and fresh. Living there was awesome too but there's nothing quite like being a tourist

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I SO very much agree, I wasn't sure if my memory was skewed or if I really did remember it as I thought I did. In particular, Old Montreal, around the Rue St. Catherine. I remember a cobblestone courtyard with a bunch of shops surrounding it, and a pub we went into, to listen to some bawdy French-Canadian music. I had no idea what they were singing, but it was obvious it was hillarious so I laughed right along with the rest of the crowd

My summer in and around Montreal reminded me of when I was new to Boston and not yet a resident, and everything was just SO much fun, and entertaining, and fresh. Living there was awesome too but there's nothing quite like being a tourist
Another place that reminds me of Montreal -- even more so than Boston in a lot of ways -- is Carroll Gardens, which is an area of Brooklyn, NY. I went to visit a friend there -- she's also originally from Montreal -- and we were both all "This is like being at home!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: