Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,878 times

Advertisements

Great info here! If I do end up getting a job in Boston, I'll keep all this in mind. I'll probably be like AtkinsonDan and treat it like a science experiment to figure out the least stressful commute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,334,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Great info here! If I do end up getting a job in Boston, I'll keep all this in mind. I'll probably be like AtkinsonDan and treat it like a science experiment to figure out the least stressful commute!
Glad I could help. The only spot that gave me trouble using my scientific methods was getting off the Orange line at North Station during the evening commute. Everyone else always seemed to know which doors to use to get up the escalator/stairs to go to the commuter rail. I could never secure an advantage there.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
I think most just zone out and listen or read something on the way from one stop to another. I would also say the same can be said on the commuter rail as well.Standing room only for subway lines is one thing as those are usually only a few minutes apart. Commuter rail can be awhile.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:46 PM

40 posts, read 109,488 times
Maybe I'm being overly harsh here but depending where you live and work... you could have a commute of like 5 minutes or absolute worst case 15-20.
It's not like it's insane, there are plenty of trains at rush hour so while, yes, you may have to stand if you get on at the busiest of all times, it's not exactly a crush but everyone else does it... it's 15 minutes max. Why exactly can you not do what everyone else does in the city or are you somehow different/above the rest of the town?

Also.... you are using this as LEVERAGE in contract negotiations?
Like... there actually exists an employer who would actually COMPENSATE someone for this and not just tear up the contract on the spot and say... See ya.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,821,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate28 View Post
Like... there actually exists an employer who would actually COMPENSATE someone for this and not just tear up the contract on the spot and say... See ya.
I don't think that's crazy. If you feel that way then you either undervalue your worth to your company or you are not a high performer. I knew how badly my employer wanted to hire me, so I was able to negotiate an additional $5k on my salary when I took my first job in Boston to compensate me for lost time traveling compared to my then-current job in the suburbs and additional commuting costs of parking/train. Of course that was on top of the 25% raise I was already getting just by working in Boston instead of Waltham.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Glad I could help. The only spot that gave me trouble using my scientific methods was getting off the Orange line at North Station during the evening commute. Everyone else always seemed to know which doors to use to get up the escalator/stairs to go to the commuter rail. I could never secure an advantage there.
That's because people who take the commuter rail generally value their time more than people who live in the city. They all have it down to a science! I've noticed this too, and I think it's because people with families (i.e. people who take the commuter rail and live in the suburbs) will do anything to get home to their families 5 minutes earlier, whereas single people in the city couldn't care less.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,878 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm being overly harsh here but depending where you live and work... you could have a commute of like 5 minutes or absolute worst case 15-20.
It's not like it's insane, there are plenty of trains at rush hour so while, yes, you may have to stand if you get on at the busiest of all times, it's not exactly a crush but everyone else does it... it's 15 minutes max. Why exactly can you not do what everyone else does in the city or are you somehow different/above the rest of the town?

The minimum time on the train looks to be 30 minutes and that's to Park St. It could easily get up to 40+ minutes if I were to take a job in Cambridge.

Am I above everyone else? Of course not . But taking the subway (daily) would be a drastic change from what I've been doing my whole life. Coupled with the fact that I don't like being in crowded places, what's the problem with getting as informed as possible?

And yes, I would absolutely use this information for salary negotiation. I wouldn't tell them I want $ xx more because I have to ride the subway. I'd just provide a counter offer and not settle below a minimum number.

Think of it this way: If you currently have a job with a 5 minute commute and you get offered a very similar job with a 45 minute commute, are you going to take the new job for the same pay? I hope not! You have to account for additional travel expenses and the added commute time (which means less free time). Or same situation but you either drive 20 minutes in absolutely no traffic or drive 20 minutes in constant bumper to bumper traffic. I wouldn't take the more frustrating commute for the same pay.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:17 PM

146 posts, read 394,101 times
It gets stuffed from MGH to Quincy Center Station, at least from my experience. I try to avoid any T or even driving between 4:30 and 6pm.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM

40 posts, read 109,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't think that's crazy. If you feel that way then you either undervalue your worth to your company or you are not a high performer. I knew how badly my employer wanted to hire me, so I was able to negotiate an additional $5k on my salary when I took my first job in Boston to compensate me for lost time traveling compared to my then-current job in the suburbs and additional commuting costs of parking/train. Of course that was on top of the 25% raise I was already getting just by working in Boston instead of Waltham.
If you're a good negotiator then more power to you.

I'm just sitting on the other side of the table here thinking if someone actually asked me for more money for the "inconvenience" of riding the T to work at rush hour I'd loose all motivation to want to hire them on the spot.

In an interview of course you want a strong worker but lets be honest, Boston is a large place with a lot of educated people... if one person seems more trouble then they are worth to handle, it's unlikely I can't find a similar skillset pretty quickly unless we're talking about some sort of NASA position only one super genius in the world knows about... (unlikely).
Interviewing is more often about the things you subcommunicate and not just listing off your resume (something so many people just miss completely). I know what their skillset is... now I want to see that I can work with this person on a personal level.

Of course you need to talk yourself up in interviews and think highly of yourself but being overly cocky about it is a turn off for me if I can find someone else by the morning to fill the same position.

It wouldn't fit into my idea of a team player. If someone literally cannot handle a 20 minute ride on the red line I'd seriously feel I will have problems with the person if they work for me.
I would find it hard to see them as committed, would expect regular sick days and emails early in the morning expecting a work from home day because it's a little drizzly outside or the slightest sniffle come Fall or coming late to the office to avoid the "rush".

To be honest I want a team player who'll be in the office with the rest of the team hail rain or shine and want to see a little resilience and toughness. If someone will cry off work due to "not being used to a crowded train for 20 minutes", I'd be questioning their toughness or ability to get through stressful or tough situations in general.

Wouldn't fit my team at all but if there are managers will to accept this and actually offer someone MORE money for it then as I said... more power to your negotiating skills. I can't knock that.

Also... to the other post... I go from Alewife to South Station each day. It's 20 minutes. Unless you are living in Qunicy or further and going to Davis/Alewife... lets not overplay the reality of this... but wait... this is the guy who's ASKING for information and is not INFORMING the person who actually does the trip every day? Ooooook????

Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
If you're a good negotiator then more power to you.

I'm just sitting on the other side of the table here thinking if someone actually asked me for more money for the "inconvenience" of riding the T to work at rush hour I'd loose all motivation to want to hire them on the spot.

In an interview of course you want a strong worker but lets be honest, Boston is a large place with a lot of educated people... if one person seems more trouble then they are worth to handle, it's unlikely I can't find a similar skillset pretty quickly unless we're talking about some sort of NASA position only one super genius in the world knows about... (unlikely).
Interviewing is more often about the things you subcommunicate and not just listing off your resume (something so many people just miss completely). I know what their skillset is... now I want to see that I can work with this person on a personal level.

Of course you need to talk yourself up in interviews and think highly of yourself but being overly cocky about it is a turn off for me if I can find someone else by the morning to fill the same position.

It wouldn't fit into my idea of a team player. If someone literally cannot handle a 20 minute ride on the red line I'd seriously feel I will have problems with the person if they work for me.
I would find it hard to see them as committed, would expect regular sick days and emails early in the morning expecting a work from home day because it's a little drizzly outside or the slightest sniffle come Fall or coming late to the office to avoid the "rush".

To be honest I want a team player who'll be in the office with the rest of the team hail rain or shine and want to see a little resilience and toughness. If someone will cry off work due to "not being used to a crowded train for 20 minutes", I'd be questioning their toughness or ability to get through stressful or tough situations in general.

Wouldn't fit my team at all but if there are managers will to accept this and actually offer someone MORE money for it then as I said... more power to your negotiating skills. I can't knock that.

Also... to the other post... I go from Alewife to South Station each day. It's 20 minutes. Unless you are living in Qunicy or further and going to Davis/Alewife... lets not overplay the reality of this... but wait... this is the guy who's ASKING for information and is not INFORMING the person who actually does the trip every day? Ooooook????
Very good points you raise. That's why I met the team first and made sure they felt that I was compatible. I didn't ask HR for the extra money until after I got the job and "thought about it" for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston