Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My wife and I are getting to Boston for a 1 year PostDoc at the Mass General Hospital starting November 2013.
Where do you think would be the better place to live for a budget of approx. $1600-1800/month ?

thanks for your help,

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Do you want to live in the city? OR just outside?

Myself personally would choose to live away from the city somewhere along I-93. You can get on the highway and be at MGH pretty quickly depending on the time of day.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
I'd actually recommend looking to live somewhere along the red line.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
As mentioned, along the Red Line would be a smart move since it will be a direct shot to the Charles/MGH stop right across the street from the hospital.

You could look at a lot of different areas. Which area will depend on some personal preferences. North Quincy for example would be a good option and you will be able to find a nice place within your budget.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Some more information would be helpful - will you have a car? Would you prefer to use public transportation? How long of a commute are you willing to have? Do you want to be in a walkable, urban environment close to city amenities, or in a quieter suburban neighborhood? What apartment basics do you expect for your money in terms of size, amenities, age, etc?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
We live near the Porter Square stop, you could probably find a place for that price within a 5-10 minute walk to the Porter Square Red Line station. Its a bit less expensive than most of the other stops in Cambridge/Somerville but still urban and close to most amenities.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
As mentioned, along the Red Line would be a smart move since it will be a direct shot to the Charles/MGH stop right across the street from the hospital.

You could look at a lot of different areas. Which area will depend on some personal preferences. North Quincy for example would be a good option and you will be able to find a nice place within your budget.
I agree that living along the red line would be ideal for the OP, but I think it would make a lot more sense to live along the other end of the line closer to their stop. Perhaps Cambridge/Somerville as someone else suggested?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:39 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Just another vote for the red line - if you'll be using public transportation. It's the closest to MGH but the blue line isn't very far away.

I'm at MGH and usually bike or run to work but when I use the T, I take the green line and then walk. It's a nice walk and I enjoy it. But for the sake of door to door speed, the red line is best. But the red line runs through many areas so it would help if you could specify a bit mroe about what you are looking for. I'm just going to go ahead and assume you don't have kids and since you will be here for only 1 yr (beware, many stay at MGH though!) are looking for a vibrant place. In that case, I would look towards Cambridge.

Best of luck and welcome to MGH and enjoy the cafeteria, it's amazing. Oh, and make sure to visit the Charles River Plaza Whole Foods hot bar. And don't miss the Ether Dome. Lots more to say about what to do but I'll let you poke around the MGH.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Just another vote for the red line - if you'll be using public transportation. It's the closest to MGH but the blue line isn't very far away.

I'm at MGH and usually bike or run to work but when I use the T, I take the green line and then walk. It's a nice walk and I enjoy it. But for the sake of door to door speed, the red line is best. But the red line runs through many areas so it would help if you could specify a bit mroe about what you are looking for. I'm just going to go ahead and assume you don't have kids and since you will be here for only 1 yr (beware, many stay at MGH though!) are looking for a vibrant place. In that case, I would look towards Cambridge.

Best of luck and welcome to MGH and enjoy the cafeteria, it's amazing. Oh, and make sure to visit the Charles River Plaza Whole Foods hot bar. And don't miss the Ether Dome. Lots more to say about what to do but I'll let you poke around the MGH.
Also, there is a rotating art exhibit in the cancer center of the Lunder bldg.
And the atrium solitary space is also pretty amazing with some incredible plants.
There's the new(ish) Paul Russell Museum of Medical Innovation and it has a rooftop garden (it's free entry).
MGH has a great tour that all new people should take. I loved it.
There are cafe's everywhere.
The grassy campus is realyl nice to enjoy lunch on a sunny day.
The main hall is great for people watching.
Don't forget Coffee Central!

Nobody actually works much here, we all just kind of hang out.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Live along the Red Line North or South. Better yet if you can find someplace, live within walking distance. Beacon Hill is best choice for being right there with all the amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston