Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 PM

504 posts, read 598,884 times

Advertisements

I always see Boston as listed as one of the top ten urban/vibrant cities in the US on this forum. However, having lived in Boston for many years, I don't see how that is so. The city is the least exciting city I've ever been to, and the city practically shuts down after sunset. All of my friends who visit Boston from other cities often remark "that's it?" When I show them all the main sites and notice how boring it is. How is Boston considered so vibrant on this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
I always see Boston as listed as one of the top ten urban/vibrant cities in the US on this forum. However, having lived in Boston for many years, I don't see how that is so. The city is the least exciting city I've ever been to, and the city practically shuts down after sunset. All of my friends who visit Boston from other cities often remark "that's it?" When I show them all the main sites and notice how boring it is. How is Boston considered so vibrant on this forum?
Reputations take a long time to change. Recent census data proves that the six New England states are in the top ten for oldest median age. It will take some more time but Boston's reputation will eventually catch up with the reality of our population demographics.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Is Boston NYC in terms of vibrancy? Obviously no.

But downtown Boston can compare to pretty much any other U.S. downtown in terms of general vibrancy.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Familiarity breeds contempt especially among those who are never going to be satisfied with what they have.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
I had two different fares in my cab yesterday commenting with glowing remarks about Boston: one, a family from Stockholm visiting relatives, just coming from the Celtics game; the other, a middle-aged couple from NJ, taking the Train to Maine again to visit family, their holiday tradition, who just love this city. Even when I remarked how dull and boring Boston looks (basically apologizing it's not vibrant 24/7?) on a late-December morning -- with everyone on vacation and thus little foot traffic -- it didn't seem to matter to them.

Even last week, I drove a grad student from small-town Kansas who loves it here...just wanted to go to grad school in Boston after undergrad somewhere in Kansas.

Ok, in fairness, to please our OP, last week I picked up a gal fom L.A., moving back for a good job, who doesn't seem to like Boston; she had spent undergrad years here, if I recall, and commented how few fellow Japanese reside here.

And I've had a small minority of visitors in my cab all these years who've commented how unimpressed they are with our city. -- and these were folks not from glamorous locales! But they're allowed to have a dissenting view...or some have said they kind of like it now after a year here itch their boyfriend who's ere for grad school. See, not everyone instantly falls in love with "The Hub" like some here -- and many others (?) -- have.

But overall, most visitors or new students/young professionals here seem to have a very positive impression of the city -- well, at least the small areas they're likely to encounter! There's much more than most know about despite the relatively small size. Had they experienced other neighborhoods instead of the better ones, perhaps their image would change. And that's all some Bostonians in certain neighborhoods have, as they don't really come in to the touristy/student parts of town. Perhaps they live in certain Boston zip codes without the glamorous or interesting experiences visitors and yuppies encounter....

Oh, and just as I started this post, I justvmet a young hip fella from NYC's Lower East Side who just spent a week here visiting his sister for Christmas...and he likes Boson, at least parts he's experienced.

So, maybe the OP does have an agenda, as some have suggested...

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 12-29-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Quote:
What are these main sites you are showing them and why are they boring? In an instant gratification, bigger,newer, better world I can see that attitude about Boston. Fortunately not everyone subscribes to that. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Boring? Actually, a customer in my cab today mentioned how crowded Faneuil Hall AND the North End (especially Bova's bakery) were last night... likened it to a summer evening in the North End.

I'm surprised, as it's very slow for the cab business (as well as Flour bakery in South End yesterday, I'm told by staff) with many on vacation and no business travel this time of year.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 AM

504 posts, read 598,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
What are these main sites you are showing them and why are they boring? In an instant gratification, bigger,newer, better world I can see that attitude about Boston. Fortunately not everyone subscribes to that. Different strokes for different folks.
Back Bay, prudential, south end, beacon hill, freedom trail, MFA, chinatown Harvard/MIT, etc.

Maybe if I showed them mattapan, roslindale, or Roxbury, they would have changed their minds...

Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Quote:
Back Bay, prudential, south end, beacon hill, freedom trail, MFA, chinatown Harvard/MIT, etc.

Maybe if I showed them mattapan, roslindale, or Roxbury, they would have changed their minds...
Okay I see what you are getting at now. The City-Data forums have a "new urbanist" presence on it. New urbanists believe that if society builds environments where people are forced into close proximity to each other as pedestrians that said people will automatically interact and become friends. The truth of the matter is that this does not reliably work. How many people do you see of the "T" wearing headphones or avoiding eye contact? Strangers do not interact in any meaningful way just because they are sharing a sidewalk space or train seat at a given moment.

Were you taking your companions to planned events where attendees have much in common or were you going to Back Bay, Prudential, Chinatown, etc on the fly?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:35 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,360,241 times
Quote:

So history, art, architecture, retail and culture are boring for them. Fair enough.

What would Roxbury, Roslindale or Mattpan offer that they would enjoy?

What makes a city urban/vibrant and what cities do you consider to fit your perception of that- speaking in terms of cities with similar size to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston