Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Squares?
Louisburg 3 11.54%
Post Office 2 7.69%
Winthrop (Boston) 0 0%
Winthrop (Charlestown) 1 3.85%
Thompson 1 3.85%
City 0 0%
Brigham Circle 1 3.85%
Dudley 1 3.85%
Maverick 1 3.85%
Kenmore 2 7.69%
Copley 13 50.00%
Coolidge Corner 8 30.77%
North 2 7.69%
Kendall 2 7.69%
Harvard 9 34.62%
Central 10 38.46%
Davis 9 34.62%
Porter 2 7.69%
Union (Allston) 3 11.54%
Inman 2 7.69%
Lincoln 0 0%
Franklin 0 0%
Blackstone 0 0%
Egleston 1 3.85%
Dewey 0 0%
Dartmouth 0 0%
Harriet Tubmen 0 0%
Waltham 0 0%
Liberty 0 0%
other 3 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:58 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times

Advertisements

Just within the city and close suburbs. Try to pick 3 or 4 [or not-too-many], please. (to make it interesting)

Wasn't sure if Louisburg, Dartmouth, Waltham, or Harriet Tubman Squares were big enough for the list. They're definitely different beasts from the other squares, but whatever. Haha

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-15-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 PM

316 posts, read 724,124 times
Quite the array of squares you have here! It seems like some - such as Louisburg and even Post Office Square - are really just crossings without a real "vibe". Places like Medford Sq, Malden Sq, Everett Sq, Watertown Sq, Cleary Sq in Hyde Park, Roslindale Sq, Union Sq in Somerville, Teele Sq, Central Sq in Waltham, etc (unless you meant that when you said Waltham?) might be just as worthy of inclusion on this list if not more so because they're more happening than some of what's here. Still, I like the idea - it's fun to talk about and learn more about places worth checking out

Last edited by professeurpablo; 01-15-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Ok - just confirmed what I thought upon rereading your post - Waltham Sq is in the South End near the Cathedral. Interesting - knew the street but not that there was a square there. I'm not sure if there's anything there - would be interesting to see if anyone votes for that one!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
What about Scollay Square, just kidding. Okay, I put my vote in for Kendall and Davis. I'll give Watertown, Miss Congeniality.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 PM

My votes: Inman, Central and Davis, in that order. Shout out to Central for still having some vague shreds of eccentricity and old school Cambridge bizarreness.

Sentimental favorites: Everett Sq, just because I live nearby and think the whole city is under appreciated, and Medford Sq because it's both utilitarian and homey...to me anyway!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Central and Havard. 20 years ago I would have added Kenmore as well, but those days are gone.

Also, Andrew Sq should have been added to the poll as it was home to Boston's 'Little Poland'.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Despite the length of that list quite a few squares will have to fall under "other." LOL
Off the top of my head I can think of Ball, Union, Powderhouse, and Magoun in Somerville as well as Peabody in Dorchester (where Talbot and Dorchester Ave's, as well as Ashmont St, intersect) and Hyde in Jamaica Plain.
My personal favorite would have to be Cambridge's Central, not only because I'm lucky enough to live near it. You can enjoy a restaurant meal from many cuisines of the world as well as on a scale of healthfulness ranging all the way from McDonald's to the "Life Alive" vegetarian place. For grocery shopping we have a Whole Foods as well as the beloved Harvest Co-op, and a gleaming Shaw's more towards MIT. There are bars - which serve food - that cater to every sensibility. Lots of official business is easy to conduct with City Hall and Cambridge's main post office close at hand. And for better or worse I defy anyone to say their bank doesn't have a branch or at least an ATM there. For those disciplined enough to maintain a fitness regimen (ahem) there's a YM and YWCA as well as a Boston Sports Club, on one end of the budget scale, and the spa-like "Vim" on the other. (To say nothing of all the yoga studios.) Despite decades of gentrification efforts there's still an extremely eclectic population in residence nearby and populating Central Square's sidewalks. That in and of itself adds to its appeal. A friend from NYC who attended a local college - and "beat feet" back upon graduating - used to say that he'd travel to Central Square whenever he needed to feel at home.
Harvard Square comes in a somewhat distant second. I think it's interesting to see a "burger war" breaking out there of all places, thanks to Tasty Burger (open a year if that) and the newly christened Shake Shack franchise. While it's sad to have seen so many bookstores go it's heartening to still have the Harvard Book Store, Grolier, Schoenhof's, and the Coop. And other mainstays like Dickson Hardware, Charlie's Kitchen, Out of Town News, the Brattle Theater, Border Café, Hidden Sweets, and more continue to hold on in the face of the onslaught of national chains. But what really helps Harvard Square stay special is the "buskers" showcasing their musical and other talents for all to experience right outside.
Inman has gotten too "precious" and hipster-oriented of late although its hardware store and the one-of-a-kind Ryles jazz/salsa nightclub, plus the original Stellabella Toys and City Girl Café, still make it worth a trip. Then also you of course have the venerable S & S, for food that's nothing special but lots of space for family and group gatherings.
Porter is part of my life's map solely for the Japanese eating places clustered in the onetime Sears store.
Kendall's made an impressive transformation, but for my tastes + budget is a destination only for the cinemas.
And that's Cambridge alone - time to catch a breath!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 PM

I love the hardware store in Inman too as well as the array of restaurants. Goyguy, I know what you mean about the hipster-ness of it, but I have many friends in the area who are not like that and still find it fun. I thought of a few of those other squares too but thought I already went overboard in my previous addition Oh well…here are a few more thoughts: Washington Square in Brookline, Cleveland Circle in Brighton/Brookline and Coolidge Square in Watertown. Perhaps it's time to start a thread about favorite restaurants and hangouts in the dozens of squares in and around Boston?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Union Square in Somerville is cool

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I thought of a few of those other squares too but thought I already went overboard in my previous addition.
Haha, yeah. Sorry, people! I was considering putting a few of the squares & town centers mentioned but decided to keep it strictly to squares in or very close to downtown just for the sake of keeping the poll short. Egleston was the furthest away, and I wasn't going to put it at first, but somehow it wound up on the list.

In terms of the poll, my two personal favorites (mostly because I've spent a lot of time in them) are Union Square in Allston and Harvard Square. North Square would maybe be my third pick, because it's a cool little space. Or maybe Copley....

I'm also interested in the squares that are less mainstream than you're typical Kenmore or Davis. Maverick Square looked interesting when I accidentally passed through it awhile ago. Winthrop (Charlestown), Blackstone, and Franklin look like they could be really nice little parks, and I'd like to check them out sometime. Dudley seems to have potential, and Dewey is impressive with the skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston