Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times

Advertisements

My Wife and I moved from Massachusetts to North Carolina in 1997. Since that time the one place we miss the very most is The Faneuil Hall Marketplace, or as we used to call it, The Quincy Market. I was a participating member of the original development team for The Rouse Company of Columbia, Maryland and was there to see all three phases built, leased and opened....100% I might add. That being said, can anyone up there provide me with the best link to view FHM online and perhaps get a list of the current commercial tenants? We hope you folks up there know how lucky you are to live in a City where such shopping is available, and via public transit to boot. We lived in Norwood and Stoneham while the "Quincy Markets": were being developed. and enjoyed the 3 years we were on the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
This is what you are looking for?

Faneuil Hall Market Place

Old 11-30-2007, 04:01 PM

smarty:
Thanks! That info is much appreciated. A thumbs up to you and a + in your reputation!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 AM

142 posts, read 660,818 times
I thought I had read recently that Quincy Market got in some hot water recently with the city of Boston? Something about the percentage of chain stores vs independent vendors in the market, which was part of an agreement with the city? Not sure where this stands.

Years ago, Quincy Market was a fun place to hang out. I think it still is, but it has lost some of its charm. It seems there are fewer and fewer 'unique' shops and restaurants compared to the past, so the motivation to go as a destination on the weekends isn't as strong. I'm hoping this changes - for the better.

FWIW - Quincy Market is not alone in this regard. I was in Harvard Square recently for the first time in many years. What once used to be a unique and interesting place to browse and shop is turning into just yet commercial area with the same experience you can find in any suburb.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
I thought I had read recently that Quincy Market got in some hot water recently with the city of Boston? Something about the percentage of chain stores vs independent vendors in the market, which was part of an agreement with the city? Not sure where this stands.

Years ago, Quincy Market was a fun place to hang out. I think it still is, but it has lost some of its charm. It seems there are fewer and fewer 'unique' shops and restaurants compared to the past, so the motivation to go as a destination on the weekends isn't as strong. I'm hoping this changes - for the better.

FWIW - Quincy Market is not alone in this regard. I was in Harvard Square recently for the first time in many years. What once used to be a unique and interesting place to browse and shop is turning into just yet commercial area with the same experience you can find in any suburb.
That's a shame! For those of us who were fortunate enough to have been a part of the development team it was a labor of love Guess the only constant nowadays is change. I looked through the link that smarty posted and noticed that many of the original tenants are gone, such as Lily's, Cityside, Seaside and many more. When I do get a chance to head back to Boston the first place I will visit is Aris Barbecue, then Regina Pizzaria. Thanks for the comments.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post

How do you expect small unique business to survive in big tourist area like that when corporations like GAP come in and willing pay 10x the current rent?

I know a couple who had dry cleaning business in a strip mall. The landlord tripled their rent when renewing their lease. They went out of business. No tenant for a year and then big corporation moved in.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
How do you expect small unique business to survive in big tourist area like that when corporations like GAP come in and willing pay 10x the current rent?

I know a couple who had dry cleaning business in a strip mall. The landlord tripled their rent when renewing their lease. They went out of business. No tenant for a year and then big corporation moved in.
Agreed. Even with restaurants now in many towns and cities the cost of a liquor license, etc., only makes it affordable for chain restaurants.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
I miss Quincy Market, especially this time of year. When I worked on Summer St. I used to walk by there every day on my way to Haymarket and usually missed my bus because I would take a detour.
Although I love Cape Cod, I miss Boston! Methinks a road trip will happen soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston