Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyCupChamps2011 View Post
I am going check those areas out. I'd like to be as close to downtown as possible, because I am most likely not going to have a car and am going to access everything through public transit. How is the Fenway area in regards to affordability?
I don't have a car. It's really not a big deal. If you live in Sommerville, JP, Quincy, whatever, it's all on subway lines or bus lines. I live in Brighton. Sometimes the green line is annoying, but it's not like it's impossible to get downtown. I walk outside. There's the T. I get on and wait. There are some affordable places in Brighton and Allston. Fenway is kinda pricy.

Seems like you've probably had a car your whole life. Come to Boston and use the T. It ain't Fall River. It's not the end of the world to live more than 1 mile from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 PM

288 posts, read 634,612 times
I don't mean to scare you, but overexcited college students have been known to flip over an entire car...with their collective bare hands.

Owner of car flipped in Red Sox celebration vows not to park near Fenway Park during next playoffs - Boston.com

Of course, the chances of this happening are rare. But imagine all the damaged that might happen to your parked car...broken mirrors and windows, scratches, etc. Then imagine all the lawless bicyclists, nonchalant pedestrians, honking drivers, and then the weird, narrow curvy roads and rotaries. There's a reason why insurance rates are much higher in urban zip codes.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyCupChamps2011 View Post
I found some affordable apartments on Columbus Avenue, how is that area?
Generally, you don't want to go on the Roxbury side of Mass. Ave. Once you are near or beyond the 600s, it's not as desirable, with a few exceptions.

200-580ish block is better for safety.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,807 times
Cool No car

You don't need a car in the North end. If you need a car just join Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership they have multiple locations around the area....either that or just rent a car @ Logan Airport or something or I think here's some rental cars I the Govt. Center area too. They have hubway bike rentals too you do the bike sharing thing or just walk around Boston there's a lot of walking routes easy access over to the Cambridge galleria via the Paul Revere Park...the Navy Yard you can take the mbta shuttle boat from Long Wharf or walk the harborwalk..you can get to the South Boston fan pier area and seaport by walking the harbor walk ..and walk the greenway to Quincy Market. you can walk 10 -20 min andbe I Copley Square cutting across the common and public gardens. In nice weather you could even walk 30 min to Fenway park. =)

I would go the no car route that way when it snows you don't have to worry about getting your car off the street or people breaking into your car.

Commuter rail can take you to many tourist towns like Lowell, Salem, Plymouth etc. and many other places...

if you need a car for a weekend or day just use Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership which requires a joining fee. and/or rent a car @ Logan Airport for the day (a hop skip and jump on the Blue line to the #22 bus to terminal A and B and #33 bus to terminal C,D,and E....and then the rental car shuttle of your choice..) from the terminals to rent a car. =) Piece of cake.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM

167 posts, read 329,995 times
I am looking at an apartment in Cambridgeport. It looks like a good deal. But, I am even less familar with that area than I am with Boston. How is the Brookline Street area of Cambridge? I don't mind living around college students, I am young and just graduated college a few years ago so that wouldn't really be a problem for me. I would also like to ask about the car thing here too. It seems like a car is still not necessary in this area, as the Red Line is nearby, and there are about 4 or 5 grocery store within walking distance from the apartment. I am concerned about mostly crime. Looking at the demographics, stereotypically speaking, this should be a safe area. But, the crime rate in this area is pretty high. Am I missing something? Much help would be appreciated.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Cambridgeport is a nice, safe area. Cambridge as a city is actually denser than Boston itself and is at least equally walkable. The higher property crime rate is due to the large number of students and academics in the city that can be seen as easy targets. If you take normal precautions for an urban environment you will be fine.

I don't know about Cambridge but many main streets in Boston offer free public parking overnight. If you're a patient and confident driver and you live in the right area(including parts of fenway and jamaica plain) you can keep your car on the street for free, only moving it for snow emergencies or street cleaning. I've done this for years and my car has never been towed or ticketed. Never been broken into either except one time when I left the trunk open like an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston