Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,789 times

Advertisements

It's Spring already and Summer is coming. As the weather improves, people want to be out more often. I live in an apartment complex (City of Boston) where some residents tend to stand and sit in the front steps of buildings at anytime.
  • Is it considered loitering despite that they're residents?
  • What can be done to prevent it?
  • Does the city's anti-loitering ordinance can be enforced in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Good grief, wouldn't want them to stand or sit, next thing you know they'll be enjoying themselves.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Seriously! I'd be more concerned with brushing up on my writing skills, with all those errors in the OP.
My easiest introduction to a new neighborhood was when I moved to a row house divided into studio apartments, in Mission Hill, because of the "loiterers." Helping hands weren't needed because I didn't have many possessions at the time and I had a friend along. But once everything was inside I gladly accepted a cold drink and started making introductions. Many pleasant hours were passed on the stoop of that building, socializing with people and - on hot days - catching breezes from the street-side trees.
As time went on after I moved away from there, the neighborhood took a brief turn for the worse which included some drive-by shootings on my old block. Then when it rebounded into its current semi-gentrified state, the row houses among which I'd lived were sold to a new owner. Now each stoop is bathed in the harsh glow of ugly lights mounted over the front doors. And signs discouraging "loitering" are everywhere. So no one hangs out in front of those buildings any more. Everybody's probably in their apartments, or taking up coffee shop space, tapping away on a laptop or smartphone and wondering why it's so hard to meet people.
What's often forgotten about "loiterers" is that they also help keep a street safe. Burglaries and muggings happen while no one is watching, never when pairs of eyes and ears are nearby.
I can understand not wanting to run a gantlet of persons slouching in front of a store or on a street corner - or when an apartment house attracts individuals who neither live there nor have friends who do. But none of that was indicated in the OP. Therefore I'm clueless as to what the problem is, unless there's a lot of noise late at night.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 AM

199 posts, read 800,730 times
Yea, I dunno. Forget the cops, OP better call in the SWAT team. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable navigating the situation he describes without an AR-15. This is Boston after all - you never really know when your quiet historic neighborhood will suddenly turn into a scene from Boondock Saints or The Town!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
It can go both ways. Certainly a sense of community if you have the good people hanging out enjoying themselves. But it could easily be a dangerous situation if these are not so good intentioned. Those who can help you with your move, can also easily be taking inventory of your possession at the same time. Pick your poison.

I would just prefer everyone minding their own business and keeping the entry ways clear and easy for all to access.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
The castle doctrine might apply here. Get armed.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
As I see it, the steps of the building are private property, and the residents obviously have a right to be in/on that private property.

Whether or not it's acceptable for people to be sitting on the steps for hours seems to be something that would be a decision of building management, not something that is the responsibility of the city. I do not believe any anti-loitering law, anywhere could ever have an impact on the behavior you are mentioning.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:35 PM

170 posts, read 311,670 times
I have a select group (about 5 people) that likes to sit on our buildings stoop. They leave their food wrappers, cigarette butts/packs, beer cans, and bottles all over. I've made the building management aware, but they've done nothing. If it continues I am going to contact the police.

It is getting so bad because they don't move when you try to enter or exit the building and they are always loud and drunk.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Those are the trash that needs to be hauled away into the dumpster. No community here but a bunch of losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: