Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
That's funny considering many Bostonians are of Irish descent. Irish-American is not the same as Irish from Ireland. Nonetheless, I didn't get quite that impression in Ireland although it was clear how they got greedy with all the new money. Because of the Catholic background they appear warmer hearted than Scandinavians or Englishmen. But I suppose they aren't particularly warm compared to more southern people where extended family is important. Have you thought if climate might influence friendliness?

I think directness can be good. That way you know where you have people. Germans are known for that in Europe. In some cultures (Japanese?) it can appear impolite.
There's old blue blood money in boston, too. And working class has always had a reputation for 'rough around the edges' it's not just southie or north end. you find it in philly, NYC and most metro US areas with history and established ethnic enclaves-especially east coast and mid west cities. Not sure what you mean about 'greedy with the new money' re: irish.
My relatives (irish) were very warm AND direct. These traits are not mutually exclusive.
They didn't have any new money, though. But Boston's money may include *some* irish americans, but not the majority of it, traditionally, that's for sure. Have you seen Good Will Hunting? LOL I think Boston's [and MA as a whole] demographic has changed dramatically in recent decades, and snobby areas/towns are possibly even snobbier-somehow!!!

Someone mentioned on a MN thread that MN has scandanavian history, vs. irish and italian on the east coast, in reference to someone wondering why people there are not really wanting to be friends with you, etc. [speaking of cliquish and 'nice to your face only'-the MN threads are an interesting read]. The gist of the comment is that if you prefer direct and outgoing communication style, you'd probably fare better on the east coast.

I'm paraphrasing what was said in a thread, not my opinion nor an established fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No happy hour or fireworks!

I too have live on the West Coast, the South, the Upper Midwest and Northern New England and see little difference... except the South had horrible environmental damage on the landscape scape (coal country)
Oh dear! I will say West Virginia is one of my favorite places in the US. The horrors perpetuated on both the environment and the people is heartbreaking. Maybe more of a "Nanny" state would have benefited them.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Oh dear! I will say West Virginia is one of my favorite places in the US. The horrors perpetuated on both the environment and the people is heartbreaking. Maybe more of a "Nanny" state would have benefited them.

I lived/worked in KY. It was incredibly depressing.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So the problem is they call the police when you're doing something illegal. Got it.
Laws are made 'by the people' genius- these laws are in place because of Boston voters. I was using examples of things that were made illegal by people in Boston.. it would be difficult for you to argue a sparkler bothers someone else. By "nanny state" I mean they make these laws because they know "what is best for you." Like banning sparklers, banning happy hours, banning certain size soft drinks like NYC tried to do, mandatory seat belt laws, etc- Oh, here's another good one... banning kids bake sales because it's not nutritious...

Massachusetts backs off school bake sale ban

banning having any smoke/vapor in any Boston park...
http://benswann.com/nanny-state-aler...ned-in-boston/

Basically the citizens don't trust anyone to make their own decisions. Also, a lot of things I mentioned are not illegal (yet!), like skating outside on public ponds for example, or having a fire outside with friends at night, or climbing a tree, or riding a bicycle without a helmet.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

When is the last time you or I passed a law? Oh right...

It is against public ordinances in many towns to skate on public waters due to safety and liability issues. They have good reason for that. If you want to pay more in taxes to cover the costs, your business.

But hey, if not wearing your seatbelt, setting off bottlerockets, and not being able to get 2 for 1 drinks right after work are your priorities, best of luck. None of these things have to do with friendliness or coldness. Now Burlington VT is where I ran into some real cold and unfriendly people (lived there 4 years), ugh. Rest of VT is cool.

A bike helmet law would be good idea. It would save lives, just like the seat belt law.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM

And hey, I'm all for keeping smoking in public legal, as long as if you assault me with your disgusting unhealthy smoke I can defend myself against your life threatening assault with a proper level of physical retaliation.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,471,080 times
As a Mom now, you smoke in public around my kid good luck to you. I will rip you a new one. I should be able to take my kids to a public park or beach with out your habit killing them. First time I ran into that ban was ten years ago in Georgia. I wildly applauded then and I wildly applaud it now.
Yet none of these things you mention have anything to do with friendliness. Oddly enough I am a shy self contained person for the most part but I still used to wander here and there and never had a problem meeting people and making friends. If you can not connect with people, look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
There is some truth to what the OP stated. It's not that the folks in MA/Boston r unfriendly..U will find many wonderful folks
here.
And i speak with some knowledge since my family has been here since the 1930's..yet many families have been here far longer than that.
It's the older generations of people who a wary to outsiders is all. And i think that can be found throughout the country.
Old parts of Boston (north end) and Southie families will stick to their own and hold newbies as not trust worthy until they have gained their respect...and that can take time..

I didn't grow up in beantown, but my family has been in a certain local close for a long time..I know many of the cops and
others who have been here for a long time but it's a different culture outside the city. People where i live have welcomed and
developed relationship's with new folks moving into town..That's the way it should be. But within the core of Downtown Boston, and the reals locals, it's a different story for sure. That good old boy culture is alive and well here and don't think it
will ever change until certain families die off..

In closing, Boston is a dynamic city with many virtues and perhaps the old boy network not being one of them..But folks will
argue that same dynamic is what makes this city what it is..and personally, i like it the way it is. The politicians i could care
less if they where thrown off a bridge..but the people, they have character and i wouldn't change that. For anyone new moving to Boston, hang in there..they are good people, it just takes a while to build trust..and once that trust is built, they
will have your back. And that's something money can't buy!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
There's old blue blood money in boston, too. And working class has always had a reputation for 'rough around the edges' it's not just southie or north end. you find it in philly, NYC and most metro US areas with history and established ethnic enclaves-especially east coast and mid west cities. Not sure what you mean about 'greedy with the new money' re: irish.
My relatives (irish) were very warm AND direct. These traits are not mutually exclusive.
They didn't have any new money, though. But Boston's money may include *some* irish americans, but not the majority of it, traditionally, that's for sure. Have you seen Good Will Hunting? LOL I think Boston's [and MA as a whole] demographic has changed dramatically in recent decades, and snobby areas/towns are possibly even snobbier-somehow!!!

Someone mentioned on a MN thread that MN has scandanavian history, vs. irish and italian on the east coast, in reference to someone wondering why people there are not really wanting to be friends with you, etc. [speaking of cliquish and 'nice to your face only'-the MN threads are an interesting read]. The gist of the comment is that if you prefer direct and outgoing communication style, you'd probably fare better on the east coast.

I'm paraphrasing what was said in a thread, not my opinion nor an established fact.
!!

You nailed it!!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
As a Mom now, you smoke in public around my kid good luck to you. I will rip you a new one. I should be able to take my kids to a public park or beach with out your habit killing them. First time I ran into that ban was ten years ago in Georgia. I wildly applauded then and I wildly applaud it now.
Oh and I absolutely love it when a careless smoker is walking ahead of me and the slightest breeze carries a hot ash to my eye. Happened to me more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston