Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 15,646 times

Advertisements

I own a single family house in a residential neighborhood in Quincy, MA, and I am wondering if I am allow to park my commercial vehicle in my driveway overnight? (Quincy, MA)

Is there a permit that I need to get or can I just park?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 03:08 PM

25 posts, read 65,048 times
It shouldn't be a problem, I can't think of any towns that restrict unless the vehicle requires a special license to operate, or it's considered heavy machinery like a backhoe etc. Even if you can't park your vehicle, most towns don't say anything unless you are on a major road and someone notices it, or you have neighbors who complain about it, in which case you would likely get a warning before any negative actions against you.

This is a link to zoning laws for Quincy, but I don't see anything in them that says there is a problem with what you want to do, easiest thing is to call city hall if you really have a concern.

http://www.quincyma.gov/CityOfQuincy...e_Document.pdf

Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I rented an in-law studio for a year in tony Winchester in 1991, and I recall an ordinance against trucks or commercial vans parked overnight in the town, if I recall correctly.

Just looks ugly.

My friend had a basic condo in a Plymouth, and same issue. The actual condo association forbade that.

So whether the city itself or a condo assn., seems many towns, at least fancier ones, don't want ugly commercial vehicles parked overnight in private driveways (if visible to passersby.)

Quincy has a community police number, I think, or their regular number...if you can't wait until Monday a.m. to call City Hall.

If I had money to buy a house, I wouldn't want to see such vehicles.

I remember in 1969, my friend's dad parked his potato chip delivery van in their driveway in suburban Buffalo, but any tony town, then and now, would look down st that, I'm sure.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
If my neighbor parked his truck in his driveway next to my house, I would call the police and let them deal with it. It is ugly, and if you have to ask, you know it's not right. By truck, I mean a big commercial truck, not a dodge pickup truck.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosguy123 View Post
It shouldn't be a problem, I can't think of any towns that restrict unless the vehicle requires a special license to operate, or it's considered heavy machinery like a backhoe etc. Even if you can't park your vehicle, most towns don't say anything unless you are on a major road and someone notices it, or you have neighbors who complain about it, in which case you would likely get a warning before any negative actions against you
That SHOULD be the way it is, but many towns make up rules as they see the need. The ACTUAL definition of a "Commercial Motor Vehicle" (CMV) is defined by the DOT/FMCSA. It STARTS with a GVW of OVER 26,001lbs. BUT because MA has the whole Commercial Plate scam, many towns will call anything with a Commercial Plate a CMV. Be careful. I know of people who have got huge tickets for a passenger van just because of the plate type and nothing else.

What exactly is your commercial vehicle? Does it have Commercial Plates, and is it lettered? That's pretty much the key. Also is it a newer vehicle and well maintained? Seriously! People are MUCH more likely to call and complain about a S-Box than they are a nice professional looking vehicle. Before I got my Class A, I was given a snow emergency ticket for a "Commercial Vehicle" parking in a residential neighborhood. Truck was a ford ranger! Not lettered, registered and paid excise to the address is was parked in front of. I threatened to sue and it ended there.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,646 times
Thanks for everyone's reply. My vehicle is actually a van, 2014 Chevy Express. The van weights about 6000lbs, so it's not a huge box truck but it does have a commercial plate. Let me know if that will make a difference. Thanks!

Last edited by mapletip; 07-06-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
I don't know. There was a house with a van like that down the street from me on Wollaston Hill, and it's not there anymore. I am not sure if it was forced to move, or if the owner disposed of it. You may want to check with city hall, and they may just say it's ok so long as no one objects in your area. If you have good relations with your neighbors on the street, that always helps. Parts of Quincy are urban enough that everyone mind their own business. Other parts are more suburban and people are picky about what they have to see in their neighborhood. Maybe you can pull the van into your driveway more and out of sight. If you try to be considerate, then others won't mind as much. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletip View Post
Thanks for everyone's reply. My vehicle is actually a van, 2014 Chevy Express. The van weights about 6000lbs, so it's not a huge box truck but it does have a commercial plate. Let me know if that will make a difference. Thanks!
Not a CMV by the actual definition, BUT in some jurisdictions is may be. For example in Boston having commercial plates means you MUST have the van lettered with a company name, phone number (or email) and address (or po box) which makes it fit THEIR definitation of a CMV (so they can ticket you that way). If the van isn't lettered and what your using it for doesn't require it to be, I'd just put passenger plates on it. You can still insure it commercially if you like on passenger plates. I've run into insurance companies that claim you can't, but the two have nothing to do with each other and I've done it myself when I did contract work. As my truck was "commercial by day, passenger by night". Nothing illegal about it. Now I drive a tractor trailer, so no way to hide that thing in the driveway LOL.

Her's the RMV's definition of a CMV

Any vehicle which has a vehicle weight of more than 6,000 pounds unless it is a sport utility vehicle, passenger van, pickup truck or cargo van meeting the definition of a private passenger vehicle.

· Any vehicle which as five or more wheels i.e.; a dually

· Any pickup truck or cargo van, owned by a partnership, trust or corporation unless the vehicle meets the definition of a private passenger vehicle.

· Any pickup truck or cargo van if on the bed , roof or sides of the vehicle tools, equipment, supplies and materials are transported to or from a job site (personal projects without compensation are not considered a job site).

· A vehicle which has business lettering, markings and/or advertisements on it.

· A vehicle used for hire to plow.

· A vehicle used for hire to transport or store goods or merchandise (unless the vehicle is owned by an individual, the maximum carrying capacity is 1,000 pounds or less and is only used on a part-time basis).

· A vehicle used to transport or store goods or merchandise intended for sale in the operator’s business (unless the vehicle is owned by an individual, the maximum carrying capacity is 1,000 pounds or less and is only used on a part-time basis).

As you can see from above, you must know what the definition of a Private Passenger vehicle is, in order to determine if the vehicle is defined as a Commercial vehicle. The definition of a Private passenger vehicle is:

A) Any vehicle which has a weight rating of 6,000 pounds or less or is a sport utility vehicle or passenger van, or which is a pickup truck or cargo van of the ½ ton, ¾ ton or 1 ton class (per the manufacturer) or a vehicles used solely for official business by a college or university police department

B) A pickup truck or cargo van that is registered or leased to an individual and is used exclusively for personal, recreational or commuting purposes.

C) Any vehicle not described elsewhere by the Mass DOT/RMV rules, 540 CMR.

Information provided by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, 540 CMR.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 PM

25 posts, read 65,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
That SHOULD be the way it is, but many towns make up rules as they see the need. The ACTUAL definition of a "Commercial Motor Vehicle" (CMV) is defined by the DOT/FMCSA. It STARTS with a GVW of OVER 26,001lbs. BUT because MA has the whole Commercial Plate scam, many towns will call anything with a Commercial Plate a CMV. Be careful. I know of people who have got huge tickets for a passenger van just because of the plate type and nothing else.
Yeah, I have run into this issue in both directions. I used to drive a van as part of an old job, plain van, no lettering.

I would get a ticket if I parked it in a commercial zone because it wasn't lettered and thus not a commercial vehicle, but I would also get a ticket if I drove it on a road that forbade commercial vehicles because it was a commercial vehicle. Really, make up your mind please?!?

In the end, call city hall or police department, they are really the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:03 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
This absolutely blows my mind. It's a van not an 18 wheeler and its in your driveway. I think it's more inconsiderate to expect a neighbor to hide their vehicle or purchase another more acceptable (to the neighbor) vehicle than it is for someone to park the vehicle that supports them making a living in their own driveway. And not for nothing but its Quincy, - a city with an economically diverse population with very strong blue collar roots not some gated community. It's very admirable you want to follow the law but don't let some self important stick in the mud make you feel bad for earning a living. If you read the news Quincy had much bigger issues to address than your van these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston