Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Yet Somerville is like home base to fix gear bike riders. Over half the bikes I see in Somerville are fixies now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,333,893 times
If you live on top of prospect hill or spring hill, gears may be in order. But if you don't, there isn't much reason to go up those hills and it's usually not a problem. The thing about gears on commuting bikes is they are high maintenance- they get out of tune, rusty, make alot of noise, the chain then derails. Especially if you ride every day year round like I do - the salt in the winter is rough in a bike. With a single speed there are far fewer moving parts and therefore much less maintenance and an overall smoother ride.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 AM

157 posts, read 229,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
No, you need a really good 21 speed, lots of turns and uphills and downhills all around here and good ability to weave in and out of traffic as you will be switching lanes with the cars in some spots.
I already bike in that environement : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
The thing about gears on commuting bikes is they are high maintenance- they get out of tune, rusty, make alot of noise, the chain then derails. Especially if you ride every day year round like I do - the salt in the winter is rough in a bike. With a single speed there are far fewer moving parts and therefore much less maintenance and an overall smoother ride.
This is exactly why I gave up my gears. After biking in the rain so many times, the maintenance got expensive. I even recently gave up my cable brakes and installed a coaster brake. I just got home from a trip to Chicago and they're designing a bike just for snow-heavy weather that's geared but very resilient to the elements, a special chain, etc. It looked like something that would benefit Bostonian bikers, too. For any of y'all bikers:

Chicago bike-design team unveils its 'Blackline' - Blue Sky Innovation

Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 AM

141 posts, read 205,785 times
There's a company based in Providence, RI -- Dynamic Bicycles -- that makes bikes with a gearset that's completely enclosed and chainless. They're supposedly using it on the bikes for the Providence bike share system.

I tried one out at the Boston Bikes festival a few years ago and it rode pretty well (on the flats of City Hall Plaza). I'd love to buy one of their bikes when I replace my daily rider sometime in the next year, but the $800 starting price is a bit steep for my meagre budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston