Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM

316 posts, read 724,316 times

Advertisements

I think the prices seem to have come down since the rebranding, but I've only recently rediscovered Star due to the whole Market Basket fiasco. The sales are halfway decent, and to me, the stores have a nicer feel than most Stop & Shops do. I must say that I am glad that they brought the old name back; it does have a certain classic old Boston feel to it, at least to me - I grew up with a Star nearby.

I wonder if this will be an across the board switch close to Boston? I know there are still Shaw's stores in East Boston, Melrose, Newton and Waltham, among other places. As they renovate and upgrade, will they all switch over? They may have an opportunity to reinvent themselves as a viable - and maybe even cheaper, now that they've ditched the loyalty card thing - alternative to Stop & Shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
They are owned by the same company. Shaw's owns Star Market.
They are both owned by the same company, But Shaw's does not own Star. They are both subsidiaries of Albertsons.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:52 PM

596 posts, read 818,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
They are both owned by the same company, But Shaw's does not own Star. They are both subsidiaries of Albertsons.
Shaws acquired Star Market in 1999. See: Shaws » Our History

I suppose that doesn't mean Shaw's owns Star Market, per se, but it's nestled somewhere below Shaws in the corporate hierarchy.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
As of last week, it's still Shaw's in the Fenway area, but their remodeling is slowly coming along.

Their plastic bags are now Star Market.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I live pretty close to the Chestnut Hill Wegmans and I can say since it opened that I have noticed an effort by other area stores to lower some prices. The lower prices do seem to be more in the form of sales than permanent price changes though. On a day-to-day basis Wegmans is definitely lower in price on many things than other area stores.

I thought Wegman's had a reputation nationally as a higher-priced supermarket chain (with upper-middle-class or upper-class prices . . . like Whole Foods charges). Hence, they open a location in the very-upscale Chestnut Hill. And they are set to open a store in the becoming-pricier-and-pricier Fenway (near Park Drive/Landmark Center). So you are saying that I am wrong and Wegman's is actually a lower-priced chain (more along the lines of Market Basket or Super Walmart)? Are you sure about that?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 AM

Wegman's is not priced like Whole Foods. They have a more upscale atmosphere but not upscale prices. They also have a lot of organic items but certainly sell regular name brand food as well. The prices aren't low like Market Basket or Walmart but I do notice lower prices than at Stop and Shop. As far as prices going down at local stores, since Wegmans opened my local S&S lowered their prices on bananas, for example, for $0.70/lb to $0.39/lb.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
Wegman's is not priced like Whole Foods. They have a more upscale atmosphere but not upscale prices. They also have a lot of organic items but certainly sell regular name brand food as well. The prices aren't low like Market Basket or Walmart but I do notice lower prices than at Stop and Shop. As far as prices going down at local stores, since Wegmans opened my local S&S lowered their prices on bananas, for example, for $0.70/lb to $0.39/lb.
I've read on the web that ALDI, Price Rite, Sav-A-Lot, and Price Chopper (supermarket chains) are allegedly low or lower-priced. In the eastern half of Massachusetts (per this writing), they are listed on the web as having stores as follows:
  1. ALDI: Medford, Worcester
  2. Price Rite: Lynn, Revere, Worcester
  3. Save-A-Lot: Roxbury, Roslindale, Chelsea
  4. Price Chopper: Worcester, Shrewsbury

Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM

Wegmans is not a discount grocery store like the ones you listed. You keep bringing up only two types of grocery stores--upscale and discount.

Wegmans fits in with Star, Shaws, and Stop and Shop. In my experience with that category, prices are highest at Star/Shaws, then S&S, with Wegmans being the cheapest.

I don't know where Market Basket fits in. I don't want to call them a discount chain but they blow the rest of the middle category out of the water with prices.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
The Belmont Shaws is now a Star Market.

Is the new old branding supposed to represent "cheap?"

Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
The Belmont Shaws is now a Star Market.

Is the new old branding supposed to represent "cheap?"
Good one 495neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston