Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 26,300 times

Advertisements

As a middle aged, single, professional female, I will be moving to the Boston area in 2015 to reside closer to a new grandson. Excluding Cambridge as unattainable, I am most attracted to the energies of both Jamaica Plain and Somerville. Somerville offers closer proximity to my grandson but offers seemingly fewer condos in my price range; JP is considerably further but appears to offer more affordable condos with greater amenities. JP seems to reflect my values immensely from what I have read but it also has the higher crime factor, so it's a real juggle to decide where I should focus. Employment is still up-in-the-air but choosing a good housing location is a first priority for me. I am moving from Chicago where I am privileged to live near downtown -- something I cannot begin to afford in the Boston area. If someone could give me a sense of comparison of living in JP vs living in Somerville, it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 AM

596 posts, read 818,446 times
How will you be getting to see your grandson? It can be a pain to have to drive across the river regularly, so if he lives in Cambridge you may want to go with the Somerville option. Also, with the green line extension set to open in about 5 years, Somerville real estate should increase in value.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:34 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Somerville is honestly much more attractive to me, at least. Much closer to everything, convenient location, lots going on, pretty energetic place. JP is just a little sleepy to me and isolated, hard to get anywhere from there.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
If you choosing between JP and Somerville with family in Cambridge, Somerville. Although denser and not as beautiful as JP, Somerville has public transport to Boston and Cambridge, and being so close to Cambridge it is virtually guaranteed to rise in RE value (and it does for two decades now).

Boston metro area is often not kind to drivers/commuters This is why you do need to know your potential job site. I can not stress enough how important is for you not to commit to impossible work commute because you have found yourself at the opposite end of the metro area. Especially if you buy first.

Perhaps just rent for a year to see how you like it here, and to understand other options better? You might find living in this area not as you have imagined. In any event, I would keep my options open just in case things do not work out as you planned.

All that being said, do not limit your options to just Somerville or JP. My advice is to look at Arlington as well, which is greener, has Red Line and buses into Harvard Sq. and Boston. And is right next door to Cambridge. You can not go wrong with Arlington. which tends to have less student population, with more professionals and families residing there.

You can also consider Watertown and West Medford, which offer better prices, and are close to where you want/need to be. Just keep in mind that work commute, it can make you or brake you.

Good luck.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 AM

I thank everyone who responded and appreciate your advice regarding the drive being pretty bad from JP to north, Melrose where my grandson lives. I think this is surely worth considering as well as where I will be working. The reason for my attraction to those two towns particularly, rather than Arlington or Medford, is that I have lived in burbs most of my life with the exception of the last ten yrs in the city, near downtown Chicago. The level of energy there is so much different and I much prefer the activity of a city rather than a quiet burb with safe, dead-end streets -- perfect for young families but not so much for singles. While I think I'd love JP more due to the ethnicity and greenery, I think the advice re the drive makes Somerville probably the better choice. Thanks for all input.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
You don't have to trade away diversity by choosing to live in Somerville. The AA and West Indian population continues to be relatively small, but the city has seen a sizable influx of Central Americans (particularly from El Salvador) and Brazilians. For the most part those communities are clustered on the east side in the Union Square area and in the vicinity of Sullivan Square in neighboring Charlestown. This has resulted in streetscapes like what you'll encounter on Broadway as it approaches Sullivan: corner bodegas interspersed with Irish pubs and even a KFC. But because of the low commercial density you don't get the sense of a beehive of activity on the sidewalks. That you'd find more of around Davis Square.
I agree that pursuing a rental rather than making a home purchase is a very wise course of action to take for at least a year. As is true with any older American metropolis, Boston and its inner-ring cities and towns embody a "crazy quilt" of distinct communities. Why not find a suitable apartment and take your time exploring the myriad possibilities for a more permanent address? Broadway and the lower end of Highland Ave contain large, older but very well maintained, brick buildings. And if you're a tenant on the even-numbered side of Highland, the views from the back will blow you away. The buildings are situated on a hillside and you can see for miles.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Thanks, goyguy, for your input. As much as I dread the double move concept of renting, it is seeming like a saner suggestion than purchasing a home immediately. Let me play out this thought a bit...my primary resource for this info is the website which offers descriptions of various neighborhoods. According to this site, while both JP & Somerville are active in the arts & theatre, my primary interests, and we know the high value of education in Boston as a whole, they describe JP as having 71% of a population with post-grad degrees in comparison to Somerville's 53%. My concern is to not be totally surrounded by students and to have a community with a high percentage of educated professionals. IF I could aspire to living near Davis Square, of course, that would be terrific but from what I read, Davis Square is about an unattainable financially as Cambridge, so I've reluctantly ruled that out as improbable. What do you think about the professional vs student population of Somerville? Thanks.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-17-2014 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: competitor site

Old 08-16-2014, 04:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
The students handily outnumber the professionals in the Davis Square area, which has gentrified a great deal since the subway extension opened thirty years ago yet still has a lot of "townie" natives in residence. Union Square is even more "townie" (to go with the aforementioned immigrants) but has seen some hipster/trendy night spots open to cater to the priced-out crowd AND in anticipation of a long-awaited "Green Line" light-rail spur. It's a quick and easy bus ride - "the 86" - from the museums and "legitimate theater" stages of Harvard and vicinity, a short hop on "the 91" from the burgeoning arts scene in Central and Inman Squares too. There, also, is no less than a folk and bluegrass music club which neighbors of mine build much of their lives around.

I seriously doubt those percentages and suspect that they were derived from a self-selected sample of respondents.

RE relocating twice over: Been there, done that! The place I own is ONE BLOCK from my last apartment. Sorting, packing, and moving, then UNpacking and sorting, were made no easier by the short distance. But I'd do it all over again and am endlessly glad things happened the way they did. May the same good fortune drift your way.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:11 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-transition View Post
Thanks, goyguy, for your input. As much as I dread the double move concept of renting, it is seeming like a saner suggestion than purchasing a home immediately. Let me play out this thought a bit...my primary resource for this info is the Neighborhood Scout website which offers descriptions of various neighborhoods. According to this site, while both JP & Somerville are active in the arts & theatre, my primary interests, and we know the high value of education in Boston as a whole, they describe JP as having 71% of a population with post-grad degrees in comparison to Somerville's 53%. My concern is to not be totally surrounded by students and to have a community with a high percentage of educated professionals. IF I could aspire to living near Davis Square, of course, that would be terrific but from what I read, Davis Square is about an unattainable financially as Cambridge, so I've reluctantly ruled that out as improbable. What do you think about the professional vs student population of Somerville? Thanks.
I am not sure that info about educational attainment for JP is correct. Estimate for bachelors degree or higher is at 61% per Boston Redevelopment Authority done between 2007-2011. Other sources list around 20-25% bachelors and 30% graduate. 70% with postgraduate degree sounds dreamy but I personally doubt it is reality in JP.

Somerville is city of young. Most residents are students/recent graduates. 70% of population rents. Very transient place. As an investment, condo might make sense, but might not feel as good fit, unless you find yourself in a small and very exclusive neighborhood in Somerville, as you already know. This is why I was suggesting Arlington. I would also throw in Belmont and Newton in, and especially if you are looking for professional very educated but middle-age neighbors.

If educational/age level most important than concentrate on Belmont (70% population bachelor's degree or higher with 43% graduate or higher), Brookline (bachelors degree or higher 79% and graduate at 51%), Cambridge (bachelors or higher 73% and graduate 44%), Arlington (bachelors 64% graduate 35%), Newton (bachelor degree 76%, graduate 52%). These towns are very expensive. They will not be completely overrun with students, although Cambridge and Brookline do have some, mostly graduate living off campus.

JP might be OK in the end too. I have possibly misunderstood you commuting needs in regards to family. To me JP sounds like greener, more beautiful Somerville to the south of city that is in the midst of gentrifying. Many young people moving in, and wanting to stay closer to Boston, but are priced out of more convenient/hip places.

Since you will have to make more to adjust for higher COL, I would suggest to concentrate on job first, and rest will fall into place.Good luck.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks again, Goyguy & Kingeorge for your remarks. Goguy, I'll take courage from your 'no regrets' attitude toward the double move, despite the close proximity of your apt to your residence. And knowing there is a folk & bluegrass music club in Somerville is actually a big drawing card -- rather thought Chicago had the only official Folk Music Stage left, so that's good to know.

Kingeorge, I appreciate the corrected stats as well as the other recommended areas. Unfortunately, as you realized, most of those places like Belmont & Cambridge are out of my budget. I am definitely seeking a condo, with a preference for larger bldgs, (not ground floors) so that is another consideration. Perhaps the job location factor will have to play a significant role once I find it.

I am rather glad that neither of you made mention of the crime factor in JP, which has been another consideration for me. I assume that your lack of mentioning it bodes well as to the fact that it is no worse than one finds in a typical city. Thanks much for all this feedback; gives me much to integrate and consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston