Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Driving to work in downtown Boston is unpleasant and a waste of time for most people unless you work odd or exceptionally long hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_girl View Post
Thanks! Parking is a part of my work package. It's also a part of my package here in DC. monthly parking pass is 300 at least if work doesn't take care of it.However for me it's more important to live in the safe area with relatively easy way of getting to work then fight over parking. I recently started hearing from different people that it is easier to sell your car if you have to live in Boston. Originally I was only planing to keep the car for leisure weekends travel.
That's a great idea and many people do that. To be honest, people with a $900 housing budget generally ditch their cars to increase their budget or just to save money in general. You can either live further out and keep your car, or live closer in and ditch the car. Either way you spend the same amount of money on rent plus transportation. If you live closer in you can get a zipcar membership for the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Driving to work in downtown Boston is unpleasant and a waste of time for most people unless you work odd or exceptionally long hours.
That's what I do about once every 1-2 weeks. If I know I'm going to be in the office until 9pm or so then I just put up with the morning drive, but my reward is a relaxing 35 min drive home at night vs over 1 hour on the train and sporadic evening schedule (one train per hour).

Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 9,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Same thing in DC...and its exactly what I do...drive only occasionally and take the metro every day...save money on rent, etc. So same story goint to be there I guess.

Thought of zip car as well and its just hard to imagine to live without a car again...been there, done it. But listening to local ppl it may be very possible.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:32 AM

103 posts, read 301,444 times
I lived in Boston and Cambridge for a few years on a very low budget. It was hard but I managed (barely) and kept my car because I HATE the T. I work downtown and live out in the suburbs now. I choose to just drive in because the commuter rail is a major hassle and doesn't run when I work late (I work off peak commuting hours). I'm glad I kept my car because it's great for weekend trips and getting groceries and all that.

Living in the Boston area and keeping your car can be doable on that budget, but I would strongly recommend finding roommates.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_girl View Post
Same thing in DC...and its exactly what I do...drive only occasionally and take the metro every day...save money on rent, etc. So same story goint to be there I guess.

Thought of zip car as well and its just hard to imagine to live without a car again...been there, done it. But listening to local ppl it may be very possible.
It's more of a personal preference. You know who you are. I know some DINKs who insist of living in the Back Bay with TWO cars. And then I also know people who live in the suburbs (Arlington/Waltham) with just 1 car for a family of 3 or 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston