Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 8,805 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting family in CT for Thanksgiving and am taking my 11 year old nephews to the Celtics Trailblazers game. I'm still in college, so I'm trying not to spend too much, but I'm open to all suggestions. Last year when we visited I took my fiancee to Boston but she ended up being really sick, so aside from seeing a few stops on the freedom trail before it got too bad this will really be my first time in the city. Any advice on cheap places to park or if it'd be better to ride the train into town or whatnot would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to other fun things to do or places to visit along the way (driving from Danbury).

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting out of Mississippi and visiting. If I like it enough I may even shoot my resume out that way as I'm graduating in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

596 posts, read 818,970 times
If you aren't staying overnight, you can park in Brookline and take the T in from there. It's free to park on the side streets.

Aside from parking, what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Faneuil Hall is fun for kids/family's, only a 10 minute walk from the Garden, and it's free to walk around. The aquarium is also pretty cool if you're a kid, but not sure it falls in the 'cheap' category.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:02 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
If you aren't staying overnight, you can park in Brookline and take the T in from there. It's free to park on the side streets.
It's free...for 2 hours; after that you get a ticket.

If OP will be in the city on Thanksgiving itself then the meters won't be in effect and it's easier to park downtown.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Street parking (if you can find a spot) is free on Holidays. It's always a gamble whether there's an empty spot. you'll have a better chance early in the day and I suggest trying in the Financial District area. It's a 10-15 min walk from the touristy areas. Make sure to read all the street signs up and down the length of the street. I always feel like it's too good to be true whenever I land free parking. 1 time I got a $40 Parking Tix because I did not see a little sign that said 'Residents Only'.

You should be prepared to bit the bullet with garage / open lot parking ($20-30 for the day) to avoid wasting your sightseeing time. Plus, by the time you park way out and take the T (metro) in and out, it'd cost you a lot of time only to save a few bucks.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's free...for 2 hours; after that you get a ticket.

If OP will be in the city on Thanksgiving itself then the meters won't be in effect and it's easier to park downtown.
I've seen cars park on my street all day, pretty much every day, with no resident sticker and no ticket. I've parked on my street all day with no resident sticker and no ticket.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
I've seen cars park on my street all day, pretty much every day, with no resident sticker and no ticket. I've parked on my street all day with no resident sticker and no ticket.
You are lucky then. Officially Brookline has a 2 hour parking rule unless posted otherwise. I've been ticketed many times near Coolidge Corner.

Here's a link to the rules Parking | Brookline, MA - Official Website

Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 AM

You have to find a true side street, not like St. Paul, Washington, Aspinwall, etc. Something at least 10 minutes away from the T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston