Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Allston is the cheapest, but you won't find a studio for under 1000 anywhere. Getting two roommates in Alston though could get you around $800 a month.

There is music scene stuff in Allston too, but to echo what others have said, the scene really isn't that awesome in any neighborhood. Most other similarly sized cities, and smaller ones, have a more prominent and lively music and arts scene.

I have no idea where this perception comes from. I've lived in bigger and smaller cities, and this one definitely hits at its weight class. It's even better than many larger cities. You just need to know where to look as a big chunk is underground (like in many of the best scenes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have no idea where this perception comes from. I've lived in bigger and smaller cities, and this one definitely hits at its weight class. It's even better than many larger cities. You just need to know where to look as a big chunk is underground (like in many of the best scenes).
I moved here from Cleveland, which had a more vibrant arts and music scene, in my opinion. The "underground" thing seems so pretentious to me. Never gotten good vibes, as an outsider and not knowing people already. The best scenes are also not underground in my opinion. They involve everyone. Inclusive, not exclusive. Other places I've been, there are communities that breathe music in a way that nowhere in New England does. Most of these places are much smaller than Boston. Just how I've experienced places, speaking as someone who played in bands in different cities for 5 years. Just an opinion though.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM

974 posts, read 1,897,262 times
IDK if it's because I'm tone deaf or just hate live music or I'm a curmudgeon, but shouldn't the home focus be on the OP's grad school location and work first and NOT partying like a rock star?

Work= 5 x a week
School= 2-30 x a week
Being a groupie at the Cantab lounge = 1 in a lifetime (if that)

A/B to Northeastern is a long, crosstown bus commute or Green in & back out.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I moved here from Cleveland, which had a more vibrant arts and music scene, in my opinion. The "underground" thing seems so pretentious to me. Never gotten good vibes, as an outsider and not knowing people already. The best scenes are also not underground in my opinion. They involve everyone. Inclusive, not exclusive. Other places I've been, there are communities that breathe music in a way that nowhere in New England does. Most of these places are much smaller than Boston. Just how I've experienced places, speaking as someone who played in bands in different cities for 5 years. Just an opinion though.

Cleveland, huh! Cleveland has a great hardcore scene, sure, but eh. Well, whatever.

To me, the best scenes are mostly underground. Sure, in Madison, Chicago, etc there are shows in clubs that can be great. And gallery spaces that can be great. We have those here. But even in Providence (which I think hits very well for its size/weight), the best and most interesting events are in warehouse spaces / lofts / etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
IDK if it's because I'm tone deaf or just hate live music or I'm a curmudgeon, but shouldn't the home focus be on the OP's grad school location and work first and NOT partying like a rock star?

Work= 5 x a week
School= 2-30 x a week
Being a groupie at the Cantab lounge = 1 in a lifetime (if that)

Ha, not when I was in college!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
So many university-age people yet hardly any local indie bands to speak of. We don't even have a weekly alternative, if you can believe that. No Seattle Weekly, no Stranger, nothing. No music fliers on telephone poles or in cafes/bars. It is entirely different.

It's all online now. And there is a paper monthly, but no real need for it with the web. We had weeklies, but they went away, rightly so.

And no local indie bands? HUUUUH? There are multiple shows with all or mostly local bands every night of the week. Cuisine De Locale, Lily Pad, Out of the Blue, etc are mostly venues with local shows. And none are underground / word of mouth. That's just on this side of the river, for starters.

I dunno, each to their own. I moved back here from SF, and that was a disappointing scene.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,522 times
Ok, so it sounds like Quincy is out?

The new short list is
Fenway, Kenmore, Allston, Mission Hill, and JP. Just tell it to me straight -- is a budget of $1200/month possible for a studio in any of these places? Anywhere else you all can think of that would be a doable commute to Northeastern? I'm open to the idea of roommates, but from what I've seen online all the rentals tend to gear toward the early 20s demographic. Is it common for the late 20/early 30 set to have roommates out these? I haven't seen much to suggest it on CL.

Thank you Timberline for the music suggestions! I have been following those feeds for the past couple months and they have been great resources!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Allston is a pain to get to from NE.

NE students are in Fenway, Mission Hill, South End/Lower Roxbury, Symphony, JP and lesser degree Kenmore.

ANYWHERE on the Orange line will work -- so you could even head out to Forest Hills or Assembly Sq and beyond. Just depends how often you'll be heading on to campus and your commute limits. Mine are low. If you don't mind longer, it opens your options.

Mass Ave / #1 bus works, too, for getting from Cambridge (Central Square).

If you city bike, that expands your options.

Boston rentals are insane -- lots of people have roommates regardless of age.

$1200 will get you a typical crappy studio with city problems (pests, annoying LL, heat, noise issues). But - everyone else is in the same boat, too.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
Ok, so it sounds like Quincy is out?

The new short list is
Fenway, Kenmore, Allston, Mission Hill, and JP. Just tell it to me straight -- is a budget of $1200/month possible for a studio in any of these places? Anywhere else you all can think of that would be a doable commute to Northeastern? I'm open to the idea of roommates, but from what I've seen online all the rentals tend to gear toward the early 20s demographic. Is it common for the late 20/early 30 set to have roommates out these? I haven't seen much to suggest it on CL.

Thank you Timberline for the music suggestions! I have been following those feeds for the past couple months and they have been great resources!
I would keep Quincy in the mix. It's not that bad to get from Quincy to NE. You jump on the Red Line to Downtown Crossing and then get right on an Orange Line train to Ruggles - it's only one change going to/from. Don't worry about having to jump on a crosstown bus from either JFK/UMass, or Broadway. You should be able to make the commute from say North Quincy to Ruggles and back in under 50 minutes each way.

If you have a car, Quincy will be a lot easier than living in places like Kenmore, Fenway, Mission Hill and Allston. Insurance will be cheaper, on street parking is a lot easier and you're more likely to find a place that has its own lot. I would focus on the North Quincy and Wollaston areas if you should choose to look in Quincy. Lots of Asian restaurants and it's very close to the water. Wollaston Beach is really nice to go for a run/walk/bike ride.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,522 times
Thank you! That's very helpful

Old 08-11-2015, 11:27 AM

0P kept referencing music and the music scene.

Not my cup of tea, but, we have to remember if you're going into the city then the Uber or taxi ride from missing the last train in Cambridge to Quincy is more than it is to Fenway or JP.

I don't remember anything about a car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston