Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be able to save street spots they've shoveled out?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 22 61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times

Advertisements

Pretty simple, do you think people should be able to save their street spots after they've shoveled them out? I personally do not put a space saver in my spot as I feel it's a public street, therefore I do not have any type of ownership over where my car is parked. I've seen some of my neighbors leave their space savers in spots they've shoveled out for several days after the snow has stopped falling.

So, should people be able to save their spots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Very much in favor of using markers to saved a shoveled parking spot. Particularly after all the snow we've received in the past month.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
Ridiculous. If having a dedicated parking spot is so important to you, move to the suburbs or rent a private spot. Public streets are public.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:58 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
No.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Those voting 'no' - how many of you live in the city and park on the street?

I'm in Southie, but have off street parking.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:48 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
I'm in Brookline and have off street pkg (obviously). But i grew up in Brooklyn. I helped my parents dig our car out a few times and yeah, it was upsetting that we were going to lose the spot but thems are the brakes. It's a public street, if they don't want to lose the spot, don't move the car.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:01 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I used to experience this when I was living in Chicago.

I support it because a lot of people living in these apartments etc. don't neccessarily even have a shovel and may have paid some guys wandering the neighborhood to dig them out. They may also be older or have other health issues where they cannot shovel out a new space and cannot navigate the treacherous footing as well as others.

So, if someone has spent an hour or $40 bucks etc. having everything dug out then I'm not going to begrudge them that.

Now if you have 75% of the spots on the street this way and you can't find parking then that gets into other problems but when I would see it in Chicago it was typically just a few spaces on a block at most and it's not a long-term phenomenon.

P.S. Forgot to add that there might be cultural factors involved where parts of the city react differently. Chicago is probably not quite as um "competitive" and so it might be more socially acceptable there.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:26 PM

48 posts, read 54,855 times
No. It shouldn't have been okayed in the first place. If it never started, then we wouldn't have psychotic people freaking out about parking.

I live in Southie, and used to live in Queens. So I can see both sides. In Queens, there was no rediculous violence and rage of anger because it was not an expectation. It is a public street...
In Boston, we started this expectation and now no one can get over it.

I save my spot in Southie, because I am forced to otherwise I get my tires slashed. I have no option. I don't want to be a part of this but I have no choice. If streets were treated the way they're supposed to be... public, then I would be able to find a spot in this weather because everyone is in the same predicament. Granted, it would probably not be in front of my house, but oh well.. I live in a city.

A lot of people think that Boston is the only city that has horrible parking. Not true.

A lot of people in Boston think that they are the only city with horrible parking SITUATION. That most definitely IS true.

And it is because of the spot saving.The only reason why Boston seems like the worst is because we make headlines because we have otherwise level headed people loosing their **** over parking spots that aren't really theirs, but they think are theirs. They wouldn't loose their **** if it weren't for people taking their spots. These people would take their spot if it wasn't for this idea that its someone elses' spot. And it wouldn't be 'someone else' spot if we acted like a normal city...

Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,700,201 times
I also grew up in NYC. You dug a spot out and if you moved your car, tough ****. I never heard of this space saver crap until I moved to Boston. People who care that much about parking need private spots.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,708 times
NO. Although I can sympathize to some extent.

If you have tough time parking your car in the city, news flash, time to move out, rent proper parking space, or time to ditch your car. There are actually many ADULT WAYS of dealing with this issue.

If you do not own the parking spot, tough ..... Grow up Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston