Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 5,664 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from a Job Corps Program in Kentucky. I'm going to be leaving with some medical billing and administrative assisting certifications. I have no relevant experience other then filing paperwork for the campus.... I'm going to be moving up north with 500.00 from my transition pay.

Anyways.

I'm going to be living with my Uncle who is in Manchester, New Hampshire. Is there a feasible way for me to live in NH and commute to Boston? I'm looking to apply for jobs at the local hospitals and save up money for me to live in the City. I'll say about 7 months.

I don't have a car so I'll be riding Amtrak back and forth.

Is this feasible for me to live in NH and work in Boston? I have been looking at apartments in Boston and they are soo expensive.

How is the job market looking in Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Not feasible long term. There are some busses from Manchester to Boston. It's a long ride and eventually it will wear you down to the point of exhaustion. Any money you save by living in Manchester will be eaten up by the commute.

The job market is good... For people with college degrees and experience. Unfortunately you're going to be competing against more qualified candidates.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM

317 posts, read 431,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcdonald84 View Post
I'm about to graduate from a Job Corps Program in Kentucky. I'm going to be leaving with some medical billing and administrative assisting certifications. I have no relevant experience other then filing paperwork for the campus.... I'm going to be moving up north with 500.00 from my transition pay.

Anyways.

I'm going to be living with my Uncle who is in Manchester, New Hampshire. Is there a feasible way for me to live in NH and commute to Boston? I'm looking to apply for jobs at the local hospitals and save up money for me to live in the City. I'll say about 7 months.

I don't have a car so I'll be riding Amtrak back and forth.

Is this feasible for me to live in NH and work in Boston? I have been looking at apartments in Boston and they are soo expensive.

How is the job market looking in Boston?
It's going to be tough. That is a LOONG commute, even if you did have a car (which I would recommend, because train/bus commuting costs would be greater than a car payment).

You should consider a couple of points. First, search Manchester area for jobs - they may pay a little less, but you'd have a good setup. You could have the goal of developing your career further, to move into Boston once you can afford a bit more. Also, if working and living in NH, you don't pay any state tax out of your check. If you live in NH and work in MA, you will be taxed. So, a slight increase in pay for an MA job over a NH job may be a wash, or even better in the end.

Further, the jobs aren't all concentrated in Boston, but scattered throughout eastern MA (this trend is increasing as office space in Boston continues to become more expensive). Perhaps now, or once you can get a car, you could find something in northern MA with a more reasonable commute, that pays better than NH.

Boston is expensive, but ultimately, if it is where you want to be, you can work you're way there. It may take sacrifices along the way, such as having roommates, having less than ideal housing in a less than ideal part of the city, but it is doable.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:59 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Why Boston?

What brought you to the conclusion that NH or MA is better for you than Florida or Kentucky, for example?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:22 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I work in downtown Boston. I work with 3 people who commute in from NH. One from Manchester. It sounds terrible to me but they do it. One has been doing it for over 7 yrs, another for about 4.

It won't be a blast but I think it's doable, at least for a while. You presumably don't have a family or other such obligations so have a lot more time to do the commute and I assume you're young so can tolerate it more. You can relax on the train, some places subsidize the commuting cost, and if you can swing a gig that lets you work from home for a couple days a week or maybe get something that allows you to commute off hrs, that'll help too.

The economy is good. Competition is tough though. You may be able to find something closer to Manchester.

Best of luck.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
I also recommend you start out finding work in Manchester and surrounds. I'd think if you weren't able to find something at a doctor's office or hospital, you'd be able to find something medical elder care related. I see a lot of new eldercare facilities being written about up in NH.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,856,713 times
It's doable but I don't think it's a good idea. Find a job in New Hampshire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: